? Best Tire Pressure Gauge ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henchman

Reaction score
What, IYHO, is the most accurate tire pressure gauge? I've got 3 and they all give different readings off the same tire.

What, IYHO, is the most accurate tire pressure gauge?
This is easy! The one that gives the most accurate reading would be the most accurate gauge. :)

Just kidding of course. I have no idea how to gauge tire pressure gauges. I have one, assume it's correct, and use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The most accurate one is the one you have calibrated every year.

Barring that, if you can beg, borrow, (or more begging ) from someone who has access to a calibrated pressure gauge, compare all of yours to it, keep the most accurate and junk the rest.

Almost all of the "made in China" stick gauges and little round pressure gauges, are about 5 to 10 +/- PSI off a true value.

One really slow day at work we gathered up about 20 of the stupid things and compared them, couldn't believe the differences.

I never thought my gage could be that off.... Is one brand more accurate than the other? Anything off the shelf we could get that would be accurate?

I've got many gages, some as old as 40 years, and they're all pretty close to each other. With the bikes, the big deal is getting the gage onto the valve, and this can be hard with many gages and can lead to variations in readings because of differences in seating.

When I got my ST1100, its front wheel could be read easily with one of my gages, and its rear wheel could be read easily with a different one, so I went on a hunt to find a gage that would do both without trouble. I bought a gage at Advance Auto Parts (dial gage with a long flexible input hose), and when it turned out to work very well, I bought a couple more.

I did a google search for tire gage and found a lot of stuff, including folks who purport to have tested a bunch of gages.

This one looks like the gage I commented on from Advance Auto Parts, but its out of stock if this web site is to be believed.

https://www.hvaa.com/tire_air_pressure_dial_gauge.htm

I have a digital with a hose and small chuck -- a lot like the 'Intercomp' one tested ($300+), mine has a round face (and I didn't pay nearly that much). Over the years I've had many analog tire pressure gauges -- some I felt were more accurate than others -- but never, really, believed/trusted them.

I used to work in the industry and would have customers come back and tell me, "When I got home, I checked my tire pressure -- it wasn't where I wanted it/supposed to be, etc." Well, all that ended when I got the digital gauge. Circumstance, I don't know?

Just the messenger..... :blink: :)

I have a digital with a hose and small chuck -- a lot like the 'Intercomp' one tested ($300+), mine has a round face (and I didn't pay nearly that much). Over the years I've had many analog tire pressure gauges -- some I felt were more accurate than others -- but never, really, believed/trusted them.I used to work in the industry and would have customers come back and tell me, "When I got home, I checked my tire pressure -- it wasn't where I wanted it/supposed to be, etc." Well, all that ended when I got the digital gauge. Circumstance, I don't know?

Just the messenger..... :blink: :)
I wonder why it ended... they were making their assessment of your accurate gage with their junky gages at home. It should have continued, no?

I've got the talking roadgear.

I think I picked it up at cyclegear a few years back for under $20.

The talking is loud enough to easily hear even after 20 years in a Navy engineroom.

The angle works well to get on the valve stem, I'm using these from Bike Effects but it also worked fine on the stock stems if I recall.

It seems to track pressure within 0.5 psi from my smartire system.

Before I had a smartire I checked pressure daily, now I manually check it about once a week.

I wonder why it ended... they were making their assessment of your accurate gage with their junky gages at home. It should have continued, no?
I think, what I was trying to say -- was that they probably had better/more accurate gauges (mine were pencil-type and usually hung-around in the top of the tool-box with their sliding insides (plastic, aluminum, ?) sometimes hanging-out. I'd get a new one, from-time-to-time, but -- until I got that digital one -- nothing changed.

Admittedly, not a double-blind SAE, C/R, U/L,... test -- just the messenger, remember. :huh: :unsure:

I don't know from most accurate but the one I prefer for it's ease of use and readability is the Accu-Gage.
That's the one I linked to too.

There are plenty of good gages out there. If you buy a good quality gage at an auto parts or tool store, you should be OK. One of the nice things about the Accu-Gage is that you can overfill a bit and then back down to the right pressure with the little bleeder button. Amazon says they are in stock, and not too pricey.

https://www.amazon.com/Accu-gage-Tire-Press...3407&sr=8-1

Another tip on air supply is to add a drier for auto paint gun applications. It will keep the water out of your tires. Of course you should drain your compressor at least a few times every year just for long life of the tank, if nothing else.

What, IYHO, is the most accurate tire pressure gauge? I've got 3 and they all give different readings off the same tire.
Well, not sure about accuracy but I have the roadgear talking gauge and this one: Moroso Tire Gauge

They seem to be within .5 psi of each other. However, I always have a hard time getting a good seal with the roadgear. I get a great seal with the Moroso every time. YMMV.

SS

I have tested several Accu-gauges, they seem to be fairly accurate. I have a 3-D (spiral guts vs bordoun tube) test gauge that I calibrate with a dead weight tester at the power plant where I used to work.

I own three Accutire 4000 tire pressure gauges . . . They are read exactly the same and they match the five tire pressure sensors in my car's wheels.

https://www.amazon.co...93088187&sr=1-6

41E60R8BN9L._SS400_.jpg

However the most flexible (and it happens to also be at least as accurate) that I use for the bike is from Oxford and is called the DigiGauge.

This reads in .1 pound increments and can read out in PSI, Kpa or Bars it has a bleeder (and two modes - one that holds the reading and another that re-reads while you watch) and the head rotates for best position. There are two leds - one to light the valve and a second one to light the display - they are controlled separately to conserve battery power.

A bit pricey ($25) but flexible.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MOTORCYCLE-DIGITAL-PRESSURE-DIGI-GAUGE/dp/B000R5B2R8

0.jpg