Best tires?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earlofcrankcase

Reaction score
EASY, let those comprehension skills kick in. That's just a title. But if you can't help yourself please feel free.
The question here is about tire shelf life. Well, that and any internet shopping high points you may have picked up owning one of these high powered fattys. Yes that was a little disrespectful, but no more than my new FJR is going to be to it's new tires. Especially if I let it's Fun Joy Ride calling get out of hand.
Back to the shelf life question: I bought some tires last night and then got to thinking about all the potential theft l see in advertising these days so I emailed them the next morning. Short version, "Do not ship without providing the tire production date prior". That led to their "no more than 5 years old" freshness guarantee. That sounded more like they wanted to sell some stale meats for that low low price if you ask me? My response was, since it's claimed to already have been shipped. I will do my best to have someone on site for delivery. If they are close to 5 years old I will not be following your return shipping instructions. The course of action will be to refuse delivery. This is because I was led to believe the tires I bought were new technology which obviously would not be the case.
Not to pop anyone's political balloon here either, but the more these internet merchants can turn a profit doing crap like that. The more it's going to happen. All apologies about the title too. The idea was to get the concept of this happening into the eyes of people looking for new tires.

Tire warrantees differ: Michelin is 6 years from date of purchase, Bridgestone 4 years from date or purchase, but Metzeler is 4 years from the manufacture date.

How old can a tire be to still be safe? 5 years? 10? Proper storage and use?

If you have a great concern for the tire being "fresh," it would be a good idea to call customer service before purchasing to check on their policy, or purchase from a shop so you can check the date code before purchase.

Good folks pick on Dealers (stealers) all the time. Gotta have the lowest price + great staff, good location, shop equipment, even free loaners and/or storage. Gimme a break!!!

Having a Sales/ service/ parts place available and friendly to walk-ins is the BEST! I always frequent my local shops, and say thanks even if I don't buy everything from them. But if the free hot dogs and coffee doesn't get you, being able to check your tire dates sure will!

I don't believe I'd worry much about it... We just went out today for a little ride and now after reading this thread, realize we have a 11 year old Michelin on the rear... still looks good to me....

Next time ask for the date code BEFORE you order.

Another thing to keep in mind, the delivery driver may not be allowed to take them back. That's not his job unless he is employed by the people you bought from. He is paid to deliver, not be a middle man mediator for your purchase.

EASY, let those comprehension skills kick in. That's just a title. But if you can't help yourself please feel free.
The question here is about tire shelf life. Well, that and any internet shopping high points you may have picked up owning one of these high powered fattys. Yes that was a little disrespectful, but no more than my new FJR is going to be to it's new tires. Especially if I let it's Fun Joy Ride calling get out of hand.
Back to the shelf life question: I bought some tires last night and then got to thinking about all the potential theft l see in advertising these days so I emailed them the next morning. Short version, "Do not ship without providing the tire production date prior". That led to their "no more than 5 years old" freshness guarantee. That sounded more like they wanted to sell some stale meats for that low low price if you ask me? My response was, since it's claimed to already have been shipped. I will do my best to have someone on site for delivery. If they are close to 5 years old I will not be following your return shipping instructions. The course of action will be to refuse delivery. This is because I was led to believe the tires I bought were new technology which obviously would not be the case.
Not to pop anyone's political balloon here either, but the more these internet merchants can turn a profit doing crap like that. The more it's going to happen. All apologies about the title too. The idea was to get the concept of this happening into the eyes of people looking for new tires.
Great question. I work in motorcycle road racing. And, I'm not an expert. But I have learned that one of the most important things on a bike is your tires. I used to not care about it that much. I can't tell anyone how many years they are good for. 4 or 5 years sounds good to me. But to throw one an important thing out there that I learned from our tire guys...tires also rot from the inside out. They may look good on the outside but bad on the inside. Motorcycle wise, our tires are the only thing between us and the road. I don't take chances anymore. Anyways, I put so many miles on mine that I'm changing them in usually less than 2 years. And just my opinion, I really like the Michelin Road Pilot and Dunlop Roadsmart Series (GT's) Both are very strong. I have put 10's of thousands of miles on them as I'm sure many of you have. I usually get 11,000 to 13,000 miles on them.

I don't know how many tires I've bought online, usually from the source with the lowest price, and I don't believe I've ever bought one more than a year past the date code. Usually it's a few months old when it's in my hands. I will catch a rebate going and buy two sets sometimes, and they might lay on my shelf for a year before I use them if they're for the ZRX, which doesn't see a lot of miles.

"Ask for the date code before you order."
Is the message you're helping me get across. Congratulations Whooshka, you used a lot less words.
Great link and advice too guys!
As for the shipping advice? Where's the group feel with that kind of misinformation? Every driver no matter the name on the truck is going to say "we can't take it back" that would be extra work for them personally. The key There is there's nothing to take back until you sign for it. If you need to hear an apology? My dribble about my shipment threats wasn't exactly a necessary read. But hopefully you can understand why I believe they will take their "buy low, sell high, stale product con somewhere else. If there ever was one to begin with.? While I'm at it with the conspiracy theory BS. I don't exactly believe the magic technology of the "new tire compounds" with grippier sides and harder centers for their best of both worlds sales claims either?

Hard to follow your post. Not sure if you're making statements or asking with all the question marks. Anyway...

Question Earl.... unless you provide specifics we'll assume Fed Ex or UPS is delivering your tires. What is the driver's role? Answer: to deliver packages. Unless it's signature required, he has every right to drop it at your feet and walk away. Leaving you to handle the tires return. Not him to explain to his boss that you didn't like the date code. His boss is gonna say WGARA.

"Ask for the date code before you order."
Is the message you're helping me get across. Congratulations Whooshka, you used a lot less words.
Great link and advice too guys!
As for the shipping advice? Where's the group feel with that kind of misinformation? Every driver no matter the name on the truck is going to say "we can't take it back" that would be extra work for them personally. The key There is there's nothing to take back until you sign for it. If you need to hear an apology? My dribble about my shipment threats wasn't exactly a necessary read. But hopefully you can understand why I believe they will take their "buy low, sell high, stale product con somewhere else. If there ever was one to begin with.? While I'm at it with the conspiracy theory BS. I don't exactly believe the magic technology of the "new tire compounds" with grippier sides and harder centers for their best of both worlds sales claims either?
What tires did you order? Most manufacturers say their tires are good for 10 years if properly stored, so the "5 year" max age should cover you. If it's a newer tire like a Michelin Road 6, you know it can't be more than a year old anyway. Were the tires you ordered even on the market 10 years ago?

Hard to follow your post. Not sure if you're making statements or asking with all the question marks. Anyway...

Question Earl.... unless you provide specifics we'll assume Fed Ex or UPS is delivering your tires. What is the driver's role? Answer: to deliver packages. Unless it's signature required, he has every right to drop it at your feet and walk away. Leaving you to handle the tires return. Not him to explain to his boss that you didn't like the date code. His boss is gonna say WGARA.
It would seem pretty unlikely tires were sent as a signature required delivery. Most of those types of shipments are for quite expensive electronics, for example, over $500. Hopefully two bike tires are not quite that high (yet)!

Having said that, we also have an RV and when I bought tires for a previous Class A end of last year, they were around $500 each (6 of them) for Goodyears. This time around (replaced the RV earlier this year) they were closer to $900 each. Michelins (preferred for their longevity) were over 1K each.