Bike keyed at work!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pick on that second picture to blow it up. The chrome trim piece got scratched too. And I agree with everyone. It was either a careless douchebag (doubtful that a car door would make serrated marks like that....maybe somebody carrying tools or hardware?) or an asswipe doing intentional damage. Maybe if it was intentionally keyed, the scrapes would have been longer? Don't know. Maybe the bunghole was trying to be discreet, and keep his motions small. Either way, it sucks, and I hope you find video evidence that is useful. And from what I know, people are right about Gerauld's work. He's aces.

Pick on that second picture to blow it up. The chrome trim piece got scratched too...
I noticed that as well but the pattern doesn't seem (to me) to be related. I also noticed that there seems to be a smudge over the whole thing. Did you rub a finger over the scrape before taking the photo or might this be a "rub" from whatever caused this? If not for the smudge, I would say that it is deliberate, not a chance encounter.

That's an accidental scratch, something someone was carrying as they walked by. Not malicious, but still a helluva lot of careless damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a similar mark on one of my bag lids when I got to close to one of those painted concrete posts at a gas pump. Is it possible you may have done something similar and not realized it until later or even the next day? Not saying this wasn't malicious just asking.

So did the video show anything?

That does not look like a key mark to me. It looks like the bag made contact with something, very likely by accident. (either your accident or someone else's).

Yes., I rubbed it with my thumb to see how bad it was. That is my assigned space. I know the guy with the jeep - he would definitely tell me if he did that.

The spaces on either side of me are also assigned spaces. This was not vehicle to vehicle contact.

HR *just* got the password to he video vault today and "must work with IT to navigate the video" I'm hoping for an answer tomorrow, but I fear the "Nothing identifiable" response.

*I* think that it's a fist full of keys. Eventually I'll find out something.

Frustrating. Possibly cover it with a sticker or reflective sticker like some put on the back of their saddlebags? Touch up paint will help but certainly looked "touched up". I have thought about buying a beater bike to ride to work as I have a shiny bule fj like yours, older klr 650 maybe.

Frustrating. Possibly cover it with a sticker or reflective sticker like some put on the back of their saddlebags? Touch up paint will help but certainly looked "touched up". I have thought about buying a beater bike to ride to work as I have a shiny bule fj like yours, older klr 650 maybe.
I'll have Garauld repaint it for me this winter. He does excellent work.

And, the wait is over.

Video has been reviewed. Just my luck:

After finally getting the password and being able to view the video surveillance camera, unfortunately, we did not see anything that may of be of assistance. The camera in that area slowly rotates the entire length of the parking lot.
I suspect I know who it was, and I will be watching them.

Life goes on.

Pick on that second picture to blow it up. The chrome trim piece got scratched too. And I agree with everyone. It was either a careless douchebag (doubtful that a car door would make serrated marks like that....maybe somebody carrying tools or hardware?) or an asswipe doing intentional damage. Maybe if it was intentionally keyed, the scrapes would have been longer? Don't know. Maybe the bunghole was trying to be discreet, and keep his motions small. Either way, it sucks, and I hope you find video evidence that is useful. And from what I know, people are right about Gerauld's work. He's aces.
There's a nice set of scratches in the chrome Yamaha badge too. Looks like damage from a drop or wall scrape.

There's a nice set of scratches in the chrome Yamaha badge too. Looks like damage from a drop or wall scrape.
Only if someone else did it to my bike during the workday!

Where do you store the bike? Garage? Is it possible this was done at home by someone else. Maybe you didn't catch it until you got out of work. Just thinking out of the box.

Dave

Where do you store the bike? Garage? Is it possible this was done at home by someone else. Maybe you didn't catch it until you got out of work. Just thinking out of the box.
Dave
Garage.jpg

When I leave each day, I push it out of the garage, then walk back into the garage and close the overhead door. I come out of the front door of the house and I am facing the right side of the bike. I do a quick once over before I put on my helmet and gloves and leave. So, in a word, no. No stops on my way to work either. No alien abductions on the way, of which I am aware!
default_wink.png

However, at this point, with no substantiating evidence, it's over. I'll get it repaired over the winter and leave it behind me.

Thanks everyone for the moral support!

Observing the selection of bikes in your garage you should ride the one parked on the left and if you need to carry a laptop use a back pack. FJR's are sport touring bikes not commuter bikes unless it is the only bike one has. Just my worthless opinion.

... FJR's are sport touring bikes not commuter bikes unless it is the only bike one has. Just my worthless opinion.
Your opinion is never worthless, but this time it's incorrect. My FJR is a marvelous commuter bike!

Power for the Interstate miles; nimbleness for the tight street corners in Midtown and Buckhead. Acceleration to maneuver among cars and trucks and to seek revenge on stoplights; serious brakes for the idiots who don't use their mirrors. Topbox for the soft leather briefcase; hardcases for riding gear and other necessities. Townsend's bracket and a locking hook for the helmet and gloves.

It gets parked in convenient motorcycle spaces, or in those big striped-out areas just inside the pay-to-park ticket spitter. When pressed, I can park it on the sidewalk in nooks or adjacent to bicycle racks. It has been known to wiggle around/under pay-to-park arms when necessary.

And honestly, mine's been scraped so many times I couldn't tell if somebody had keyed it or not.

The VMax is a hot rod, especially with the 4 into 1 Kerker. It is also in need of carb rebuilds and coil replacements, which is why it's so dusty. (Not registered at the moment.)

I also agree with Uncle Hud. Although it's a little heavy for in-town use, most of my commute is on highway and back road sweepers. I don't carry a laptop, but the bags are perfect for rain gear and occasional paperwork or shopping items. Over 40 MPG is also far better than the VMax, which gets smiles per gallon and only about a 100 mile range.

Observing the selection of bikes in your garage you should ride the one parked on the left and if you need to carry a laptop use a back pack. FJR's are sport touring bikes not commuter bikes unless it is the only bike one has. Just my worthless opinion.
I bought my FJR specifically as a commuter. My commute was mostly rural with only a few miles of city traffic as I approached my office complex/lab. I wanted the power and storage. It was only after I rode it that I realized all of the other capabilities. I guess it depends on your commute and your preference.