Bike keyed at work!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did not realize the bike on the left was a V-Max...not a great commuter. Perhaps I should have realized lane splitting is not legal in most States other than CA. The commuters I see out here are mostly riding smaller cruisers or sport bikes. I retract my earlier comments.

Did not realize the bike on the left was a V-Max...not a great commuter. Perhaps I should have realized lane splitting is not legal in most States other than CA. The commuters I see out here are mostly riding smaller cruisers or sport bikes. I retract my earlier comments.
I replaced the headlight with a headlight from an M109R2, so it does not look like a typical VMax. Unless I am mistaken, California is the ONLY state that permits lane splitting. Even if it were legal here, I would not risk my life further by doing that. We are already nearly invisible to cagers, but when we are someplace unexpected (between lanes) it increases the odds of calamity (in my opinion.)

If I had to deal with LA traffic, I don't think I would even ride. (I don't think I could even deal with it, I would have to move!) Even here, around Harrisburg PA where I work, traffic is not great for motorcycles. I am SOOOOO thankful that I retire in less than two years!!

If you want to look on a map, my commute is basically from Gettysburg to Harrisburg. (I am a bit closer to Harrisburg, but it gives you a general idea of the roads.) Perfect FJR roads. I have less than 4 miles in outlying Harrisburg traffic.

Man, your unnamed coworker gets around!

Went to wash bike today and found this:

NvtYbJD.jpg

I have no clue how this happened; it wasn't there yesterday.

art miller posted: ... I retract my earlier comments.
No need for that, man! Your opinion is based on your needs and your experience. It's as valid as my opinions, needs, and experience.

Dudewado posted:
NvtYbJD.jpg

I have no clue how this happened; it wasn't there yesterday.
My multi-scarred, commuting FJR has those marks on both hardcases. (And maybe two or three sets on the starboard side.) Mine were caused by rubbing against posts/bollards guarding parking exits, or the ones guarding the entrance/exit to Georgia Tech's motorcycle-only parking lots. Those bollards leave white or yellow marks, oriented horizontally, with zigzags where the bike slips sideways against the immovable object -- the same slippage which causes "rider heart attack" as the bike tips sideways and lunges toward the ground.

My multi-scarred, commuting FJR has those marks on both hardcases. (And maybe two or three sets on the starboard side.) Mine were caused by rubbing against posts/bollards guarding parking exits, or the ones guarding the entrance/exit to Georgia Tech's motorcycle-only parking lots. Those bollards leave white or yellow marks, oriented horizontally, with zigzags where the bike slips sideways against the immovable object -- the same slippage which causes "rider heart attack" as the bike tips sideways and lunges toward the ground.
As I was going to sleep last night, I realized that this was self inflicted.

At my favorite restaurant, I park by a window with a stucco-like wall below it. When I left, a car had partially blocked me in and I had to back up to get out.

I must have rubbed the bag against the wall without feeling it. DOH!

I'm going to leave it as is.

^^^ A red Sharpie will at least make it less obvious. (A black Sharpie worked pretty well on mine after a driveway tip over. Ten feet away, it's almost unnoticable.)

A black sharpie worked on the black mirror of my pickup after my wife dragged it along the wall of a drive through service window. THAT was a fun conversation as she left me to discover it. It has to be re-applied periodically but it's cheap and easy so that the trade off for permanent.

Last edited by a moderator:
you guys don't happen to wear hard edged boots and have problems clearing you right foot when you dismount?
Alpinestar Goretex boots. No hard edges, zippers, buckles, etc.

As I said earlier, I tried to identify who did it and was unable to do so, so I am moving on. It will be as good as new before long. I'll try to minimize it a bit this weekend with some Meguires #2, #1, then a good wax. Paint when I am ready to go without a bag for a while.

They weren't scratches after all... They were GOUGES! Damn! Well, I tried to minimize the damage, and I made it worse, and could not even come close to removing them all. That's some THIN clearcoat!

I wet sanded lightly with 600, 1000, then 2000, and followed up with Meguires 105, 205, and wax. So I guess my options are now to try some colorrite clearcoat, wet sand and buff, go with my original decision to have our local paint guru, Garauld repaint the lid, or live with it. I'll probably still have Garauld repaint it this winter.

BTW - those are not more scratches on the bag - I just did not wipe off all of the dust before the photos.

Before:

Before.jpg

After:

After%201.jpg

After%202.jpg

After%203.jpg

Timing is everything. I just finished repainting a pair of lids for Mr. Slaton. Here's a photo of a donor lid and the two finished Cobalt lids ready to ship tomorrow.

oVN0h2d.jpg

You can send one to me!
wink.png

You do very nice work at a very reasonable price. I have never seen a negative comment about you or your products, or your work.

I replaced the headlight with a headlight from an M109R2, so it does not look like a typical VMax. Unless I am mistaken, California is the ONLY state that permits lane splitting. Even if it were legal here, I would not risk my life further by doing that. We are already nearly invisible to cagers, but when we are someplace unexpected (between lanes) it increases the odds of calamity (in my opinion.)

If I had to deal with LA traffic, I don't think I would even ride. (I don't think I could even deal with it, I would have to move!) Even here, around Harrisburg PA where I work, traffic is not great for motorcycles. I am SOOOOO thankful that I retire in less than two years!!

If you want to look on a map, my commute is basically from Gettysburg to Harrisburg. (I am a bit closer to Harrisburg, but it gives you a general idea of the roads.) Perfect FJR roads. I have less than 4 miles in outlying Harrisburg traffic.
I am completely familiar with the Gettysburg and Harrisburg area. I grew up in Biglerville, PA and made the trek from Gettysburg to Harrisburg on US15 many times. I was a high school wrestler and we were in the same league as Camp Hill and Mechanicsburg. We used to pick up girls in Camp Hill for horizontal recreation. They were known for their ease of persuasion.

On the lane splitting topic, CA has had it for many years. There are several other states that are considering it. An extensive study was done in CA by the CHP in conjunction with University of CA and it was concluded lane splitting in heavy slow moving traffic is safer than conventional riding behind vehicles. Motorcyclist fatalities caused by vehicles hitting them from behind is second only to oncoming vehicles turning left into their lane of travel.

I am completely familiar with the Gettysburg and Harrisburg area. I grew up in Biglerville, PA and made the trek from Gettysburg to Harrisburg on US15 many times. I was a high school wrestler and we were in the same league as Camp Hill and Mechanicsburg. We used to pick up girls in Camp Hill for horizontal recreation. They were known for their ease of persuasion.

On the lane splitting topic, CA has had it for many years. There are several other states that are considering it. An extensive study was done in CA by the CHP in conjunction with University of CA and it was concluded lane splitting in heavy slow moving traffic is safer than conventional riding behind vehicles. Motorcyclist fatalities caused by vehicles hitting them from behind is second only to oncoming vehicles turning left into their lane of travel.
Camp hill girls, huh? DAMN! I should have headed there when I was still single!
default_wink.png
LOL