Bike rentals and routes in San Francisco

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyRider

esolc oot m'I siht dear nac uoy fI
Reaction score
So I'm going to be in San Francisco from Monday June 1 until Friday June 5 and thought that extending my stay for a couple of days would give me some time to ride around and enjoy a part of the country I've never been to. Anyone have suggestions on which outfit to use for bike rental and what route to ride?

Heck, is anyone planning a group ride Saturday June 6th that they wouldn't mind company on?

Thanks for any info ya'll can pass along.

=====================

UPDATE - See Post 43

=====================

Last edited by a moderator:
Some things to see eat:

Molinari's Deli in North Beach - get a sandwich to go

Just down the street is China town - Dim Sum travels well too

House of Prime Rib or Harris' - They are two blocks apart and both have great food. You decide where to eat. Just so you know if you go to either of these places you are required to meet James Burliegh there and buy him a drink. Sorry not my rules.

Peter D's on Van Ness was pretty good for breakfast

Mel's Drive In - from American Graffiti

There is also fisherman's wharf for seafood and chocolate

dubbelju is a great rental company.
How much time will you have to ride?

Do you want day routes or overnight?
+1 for Dubbleju.

As for routes, JW has good questions as there are plenty of options both north and south, east and west... Sierras, Coast, Yosemite, etc., etc. We could probably keep you busy for a coupla weeks... ;) Got any must-do's on your list of things to see? Do you like smoother sweeper type roads or goat?

dubbelju is a great rental company.
How much time will you have to ride?

Do you want day routes or overnight?
I'm thinking pick up the bike Friday evening and return it Saturday evening. I'm planning on riding from early Saturday morning until I have to bring the bike back (as late Saturday as possible) so no overnight rides for me this trip. I think a 10-12 hour time window for riding is realistic (6AM - 4-6PM).

I looked at dubbelju's site but I was hoping for something a little more sport-like. I guess a BMW R1200RT would be OK but I was hoping for something light and flickable and some good tight curves to ride it on. Ya wouldn't happen to know any roads like that would ya? :)

Some things to see eat:

House of Prime Rib or Harris' - They are two blocks apart and both have great food. You decide where to eat. Just so you know if you go to either of these places you are required to meet James Burliegh there and buy him a drink. Sorry not my rules.

So what happens if I go to House of Prime Rib and/or Harris and I _don't_ buy James Burliegh a drink? Will the drink police arrest me? :blink:

+1 for Dubbleju.
As for routes, JW has good questions as there are plenty of options both north and south, east and west... Sierras, Coast, Yosemite, etc., etc. We could probably keep you busy for a coupla weeks... ;) Got any must-do's on your list of things to see? Do you like smoother sweeper type roads or goat?
If you've ever been on 89A from Wilhoit into Prescott, AZ that's pretty much my idea of a perfect road - well maintained smooth-ish asphalt that runs up and down a mountain with lots of tight 15mph (marked) turns and scenic views.

La honda road = route 84.... pescadero road........ Tunitas Creek.........

Boonie doon............. lots of road to fit that bill

B

La honda road = route 84.... pescadero road........ Tunitas Creek.........
Boonie doon............. lots of road to fit that bill
Mmmmm....sounds like heaven! :dribble:

One of these days I'll move out of the boring flatlands.

I looked at dubbelju's site but I was hoping for something a little more sport-like.
No experience with these folks but might be what you're looking for: SportBikeRental

A southern route suggestion:

RT Skyline/35

BRUNCH @ Alice’s – Junction 35/84

Continue West on 84

LT Pescadero Rd.

LT Hwy 1

LT into gas station @ Gazos Creek/Hwy 1

Continue south on Hwy 1

LT Bonnie Doon

RT Empire Grade

LT Felton Empire

LT Hwy 9 into Saratoga

A northern route suggestion:

Exit Smith Ranch Rd/Lucas Valley

LT Lucas Valley Rd.

RT Nicasio Valley Rd

RT Point Reyes-Petaluma Rd

LT Hicks Valley

RT Wilson Hill

LT Chileno Valley

LT Tomales-Petaluma Rd.

RT Hwy 1

RT Valley Ford Freestone Rd

RT Bodega Hwy

LT Bohemian Hwy

LUNCH in Occidental – Union Hotel, 707.874.3444, Felicia

RT Graton Rd

LT 116

RT Vine Hill Rd

LT Laguna Rd

RT Trenton Rd

RT River Rd

ST/LT Mark West Springs Rd

RT Porter Creek

LT Petrified Forest Rd

RT 128/Foothill Blvd

LT Lincoln Ave

Gas up in Calistoga

29 Out of Calistoga

RT Silverado Trail

LT Deer Park

ST Howell Mountain

ST/RT Chiles Pope Valley

LT Pope Valley Cross Rd.

LT Pope Canyon Rd

BREAK @ Parking Lot

RT Berryessa Knoxville

LT 128

RT 121

LT Wooden Valley Rd.

ST Suisun Valley Rd.

Gas @ 80/680 Junction

Slab back to SF

OR

LT 116

LT Bohemian Hwy

RT Bodega Hwy

RT Joy Rd.

LT Coleman Valley

RT Hwy 1

RT Meyers Grade

RT Fort Ross Rd

LT Kings Ridge Rd (watch out for free range cows!)

RT Tin Barn

RT Stewarts Point

ST Skaggs Springs (more than likely you'll want to turn around and redo a section of this road... watch out for local law enforcement!)

LT Rockpile Rd.

Stop at lake for a view

RT Rockpile Rd.

ST Skaggs Spring

RT Dry Creek

RT Old Redwood Hwy

RT Westside Rd.

Veer RT to stay on Westside at Wohler

ST/RT River Rd.

Slab back to SF

Lots of options! B)

I'm thinking Highway 1 north. You get to cross the bridge, photo op off Conzelman Rd, then up the coast. Maybe take 'er up to Stewarts Point Rd, head east, fart around the Napa area, then blast home.

Too bad dubbelju doesn't have any K bikes. How about a Tiger? I doubt you'll be able to rent a crotch rocket.

Here's that route. Unfortunately there's some freeway at the end, but it's a great day. You'll be worn out at the end.

No experience with these folks but might be what you're looking for: SportBikeRental
A southern route suggestion:

RT Skyline/35

BRUNCH @ Alice's – Junction 35/84

Continue West on 84

LT Pescadero Rd.

[sNIP]

LT Hwy 9 into Saratoga

A northern route suggestion:

Exit Smith Ranch Rd/Lucas Valley

LT Lucas Valley Rd.

[sNIP]

Slab back to SF

OR

LT 116

[sNIP]

Slab back to SF

Lots of options! B)
Thanks for the SportBikeRental link - I'll look into them. And as for the route suggestions - daaayyyyum girl! You should do that for a living. :clapping: :rolleyes:

I'm thinking Highway 1 north. You get to cross the bridge, photo op off Conzelman Rd, then up the coast. Maybe take 'er up to Stewarts Point Rd, head east, fart around the Napa area, then blast home.
Too bad dubbelju doesn't have any K bikes. How about a Tiger? I doubt you'll be able to rent a crotch rocket.

Here's that route. Unfortunately there's some freeway at the end, but it's a great day. You'll be worn out at the end.
Thanks for the route suggestion - ya'll have some great roads close to home. I'm jealous. As for the Tiger, I'm still thinking. If the link the Tyler gave me works out I'll probably rent something from them, if not then the Tiger is on the short list.

Hm, they've got what you need. Too bad they're in Concord, which is definitely NOT San Francisco. Still - could be worth a shot. That Ducati 1098 looks fun.
True, it's not San Francisco - but what's 30 miles on a freeway, 30-45 minutes? :D

Some things to see eat:

So what happens if I go to House of Prime Rib and/or Harris and I _don't_ buy James Burliegh a drink? Will the drink police arrest me? :blink:
Yeah. Like I said I don't make the rules.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for the SportBikeRental link - I'll look into them. And as for the route suggestions - daaayyyyum girl! You should do that for a living. :clapping: :rolleyes:
I'm trying!!! :lol:

Not sure what I've got going on that weekend yet but if I'm around/available, be happy to show ya around. B)
Yeah, I noticed the NorthStar Moto Tours link in your sig - I gotta gotta give ya props for daring to live your dream, here's wishing you success. I'll take ya up on your offer - a week or two before I'm out there I'll post another message here. Anyone that's available is more than welcome to ride with me.

I looked at dubbelju's site but I was hoping for something a little more sport-like.
I've never had business dealing with this guy but I talked with him for about 30 minutes at the Int'l Bike Show. I was also going to suggest trying him.

LT 116LT Bohemian Hwy

RT Bodega Hwy

RT Joy Rd.

LT Coleman Valley

RT Hwy 1

RT Meyers Grade

RT Fort Ross Rd

LT Kings Ridge Rd (watch out for free range cows!)

RT Tin Barn

RT Stewarts Point

ST Skaggs Springs (more than likely you'll want to turn around and redo a section of this road... watch out for local law enforcement!)

LT Rockpile Rd.

Stop at lake for a view

RT Rockpile Rd.

ST Skaggs Spring

RT Dry Creek

RT Old Redwood Hwy

RT Westside Rd.

Veer RT to stay on Westside at Wohler

ST/RT River Rd.

Slab back to SF

Lots of options! B)
That's what I'd do! Lot's of great riding on fun roads and great scenery.

Of course, riding South on Hwy 1 ain't too shabby, either...but Saturday with the rest of the tourists!?!?!?!?

My personal best choice would be to cross your fingers and hope for the "Trophy Girl" as a tour guide. :yahoo:

I will be up there too on June 4th and 5th but I will be in the car with the wife.
R
Real useful, Richard. Real f**kin' useful. :glare:

Some things to see eat:

Disclaimer: johnny80s ain't from around here, so take his tourist recs with a grain of salt. But he IS right about that drink thing.