Bike rentals and routes in San Francisco

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sunsets are probably better in the Bay Area, since the sun just comes up over the East Bay hills. Sets over the ocean though. From the Wall it sets over San Francisco and the Golden Gate.
The Wall? What/where is that? I'd love to get some good sunset pictures.
It's on Grizzly Peak Rd. in the Berkeley foothills.

Thanks Tyler - so sunset pictures something like this. I'm going to have to find a way to get up there at sunset - that just looks too beautiful. Of course, I'm sure it's going to be cloudy the whole week I'm there. :D
It's a crap shoot... I've been up there many times and everything has to be just right to get "that" shot... sun position, no haze or fog, time of day... not saying don't give it a try though... who knows... maybe the photo gods will be on your side given you've traveled all that way just for that view...

Then again, maybe they'll say screw you, nice try, come back another day. ;) :lol:

How quickly you forget... ;)

Scarlett? :blink:

Scarlett Johansson to snatch me from her dreamy grasp (or was it grasp me away from her dreamy…. Never mind).
Sigh....

scarlett-johansson-2.jpg
Doh!

Great looking route! I made a couple of tweaks in the East Bay. Got you off of the slab and onto some nice back roads, namely Marsh Creek, Vasco, and Patterson Pass Road. Update here.
As a compromise you could stick with 680 to 580E, but still take Patterson Pass Road as an alternative to the 580 over the Altamont Pass. It's a gajillion times better if you have the time.
Is 130 the one you led us on that goes out to the racetrack? Not sure I've ever been on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, I'm sure it's going to be cloudy the whole week I'm there. :D
June, right? Yep. ;)
Well it's early June, maybe the weather gods will forget to turn their calendar pages and still think it's May. :)

It's a crap shoot... I've been up there many times and everything has to be just right to get "that" shot... sun position, no haze or fog, time of day... not saying don't give it a try though... who knows... maybe the photo gods will be on your side given you've traveled all that way just for that view...

Then again, maybe they'll say screw you, nice try, come back another day. ;) :lol:
Heh, if I had dime for every time the photo gods have gotten out the 50 grit sandpaper...well, I'd have a lot more farkles on my FJR but I'd still be as sore. :blink: :D

OK, so I have my plans in place. I'll be picking up a bike from Pacific Cycle Co. in San Jose on Friday, June 5th (wow, a week from tomorrow - time flies when you're banging your head against a wall trying to get all your work squared away before you leave for a week). I'm going to pick up the scoot around 3:30 - 4:00 on Friday and ride out to La Honda and Pescadaro before making my way back up to San Francisco Friday night.

The next morning I'll head out for a day of riding. I'm still not certain of what roads I'll take - I guess I'm just hoping that I can ride with someone that knows the area so I don't have to worry about when and where to turn, finding a good lunch place, etc. So, is anyone available next Saturday to show me some of those awesome NorCal roads...Brian...Tyler...anyone?

OK, so I have my plans in place. I'll be picking up a bike from Pacific Cycle Co. in San Jose on Friday, June 5th (wow, a week from tomorrow - time flies when you're banging your head against a wall trying to get all your work squared away before you leave for a week). I'm going to pick up the scoot around 3:30 - 4:00 on Friday and ride out to La Honda and Pescadaro before making my way back up to San Francisco Friday night.
The next morning I'll head out for a day of riding. I'm still not certain of what roads I'll take - I guess I'm just hoping that I can ride with someone that knows the area so I don't have to worry about when and where to turn, finding a good lunch place, etc. So, is anyone available next Saturday to show me some of those awesome NorCal roads...Brian...Tyler...anyone?

I can ride with you on Friday for sure!!.... we can eat at Alices.

Which bike are ya getting???

Saturday......... I am suppose to be somewhere at 2pm......... But....

I might be able to weasel out.... North of San Francisco, I am not the best guide, lets see who

chimes in ........

B....

I can ride with you on Friday for sure!!.... we can eat at Alices.Which bike are ya getting???

Saturday......... I am suppose to be somewhere at 2pm......... But....

I might be able to weasel out.... North of San Francisco, I am not the best guide, lets see who

chimes in ........

B....
If you can weasel out on Saturday fantastic, and if not then even Friday would be great. Alices? I don't know what or where that is, but I'm not too picky and I'll be on a motorcycle so neither "what" nor "where" is all that important. :)

As for what bike I'm renting, I ended up getting the K1200 GT. I figure that it's close enough to my FJR that I'll be pretty comfortable on it right out of the gate and speaking of comfortable, it should handle a 300-400 mile day on Saturday without leaving me sore.

So, is anyone available next Saturday to show me some of those awesome NorCal roads...Brian...Tyler...anyone?
I might be available Sat. a.m. (have to attend a memorial service at 2 p.m.) to tow you around a bit... the FZ is going to a friend's for some work possibly Friday night so not sure what the schedule will be... lemme see what's what and go from there! B)

Hey Fuzzy...

I've done some of this route a couple years ago and had lunch in

Occidental......

================

A northern route suggestion:

Exit Smith Ranch Rd/Lucas Valley

LT Lucas Valley Rd.

RT Nicasio Valley Rd

RT Point Reyes-Petaluma Rd

LT Hicks Valley

RT Wilson Hill

LT Chileno Valley

LT Tomales-Petaluma Rd.

RT Hwy 1

RT Valley Ford Freestone Rd

RT Bodega Hwy

LT Bohemian Hwy

LUNCH in Occidental – Union Hotel, 707.874.3444, Felicia

RT Graton Rd

LT 116

RT Vine Hill Rd

LT Laguna Rd

RT Trenton Rd

RT River Rd

ST/LT Mark West Springs Rd

RT Porter Creek

LT Petrified Forest Rd

RT 128/Foothill Blvd

LT Lincoln Ave

Gas up in Calistoga

29 Out of Calistoga

RT Silverado Trail

LT Deer Park

ST Howell Mountain

ST/RT Chiles Pope Valley

LT Pope Valley Cross Rd.

LT Pope Canyon Rd

BREAK @ Parking Lot

RT Berryessa Knoxville

LT 128

RT 121

LT Wooden Valley Rd.

ST Suisun Valley Rd.

Gas @ 80/680 Junction

Slab back to SF

Lets see what Tyler can do.. she really has this wired and I will tag along.....

when she has to split... we shall see what my GPS says.....

B

Hey Fuzzy...
I've done some of this route a couple years ago and had lunch in

Occidental......

================

A northern route suggestion:

Exit Smith Ranch Rd/Lucas Valley

LT Lucas Valley Rd.

RT Nicasio Valley Rd

RT Point Reyes-Petaluma Rd

LT Hicks Valley

RT Wilson Hill

LT Chileno Valley

LT Tomales-Petaluma Rd.

RT Hwy 1

RT Valley Ford Freestone Rd

RT Bodega Hwy

LT Bohemian Hwy

LUNCH in Occidental – Union Hotel, 707.874.3444, Felicia

RT Graton Rd

LT 116

RT Vine Hill Rd

LT Laguna Rd

RT Trenton Rd

RT River Rd

ST/LT Mark West Springs Rd

RT Porter Creek

LT Petrified Forest Rd

RT 128/Foothill Blvd

LT Lincoln Ave

Gas up in Calistoga

29 Out of Calistoga

RT Silverado Trail

LT Deer Park

ST Howell Mountain

ST/RT Chiles Pope Valley

LT Pope Valley Cross Rd.

LT Pope Canyon Rd

BREAK @ Parking Lot

RT Berryessa Knoxville

LT 128

RT 121

LT Wooden Valley Rd.

ST Suisun Valley Rd.

Gas @ 80/680 Junction

Slab back to SF

Lets see what Tyler can do.. she really has this wired and I will tag along.....

when she has to split... we shall see what my GPS says.....

B
The route from Calistoga to SF is great, particularly in the foothills. Nice roads & winding. I'll try and hook up in Calistoga and ride south with ya's.

Thanks Tyler and Brian. I put Tyler's route together in Google Maps - map link. (Tyler, if you consider this your IP and don't want the link posted let me know and I'll take it down)

I sure wish I could take my GPS and program the route in because I'm sure that the last hundred or so martinis I've had killed enough brain cells to prevent me from remembering it on my own. :)

I'll PM ya'll my cell phone number since I'm not gonna have a laptop with me and will probably have limited ability to check the forum. Thanks!

Here is a possible Friday route... starts where fuzzy picks up his bike, lets him

get the feel of it on 17.... then fun time............

ROUTE CLICKY

Add or subtract from this as you see fit....

B.....

Now you hurt my feelings................

NOT

I can fly through there and you won't even see my tail light!!! I was thinking fuzzy will be new to

his steed and may not want to take it to the edge.... but then,....... Riding behind you.... :D :D

just say'n.......

That route sounds good... works for me...

and thats Mr. weenie to you......... :D :D :lol: :lol:

B....

I may not be able to skip out on my Sat commitment... can we get a really early start on Saturday... ???????? I gotta be

back in San Jose by 2pm also.....

B......

Ooohhhhh, I love goat roads...well, as long as it's more of the tight twisty narrow no guard-rails kind of goat road and less of the pot-holes gravel sand dirt kind of goat road - not that I mind a little bit of the latter, just that there's a reason dual-sports don't really light my fire. ;) As far as speed goes, I can't really say how long it'll take me to get up to speed on the Beemer. I've never ridden one and I don't know how confidence inspiring its handling is. Still, I expect it'll be close to the Feej so I should have a handle on it pretty quick. I'm out to have a good time and see parts of the country I've never seen before not set any speed records though. :D

My only comment of Friday's route is that if I pick the bike up at 5ish then that only leaves what, 3 1/2 - 4 hours of daylight/twilight? I don't mind slabbing it back to the hotel in the dark but I'd prefer not to have to go through too many twisties in the dark.

And as for Saturday, the earlier the better for me - just name the time and I'll be there. Well, as long as it's not before 5 or 6 in the morning.

If there is a lunch stop at Occidental, Terri and I would love to join you on Saturday.

Maybe we could meet you at French Marin Cheese Company.

Keep me posted.

Mike and Terri

Food :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:

If there is a lunch stop at Occidental, Terri and I would love to join you on Saturday.Maybe we could meet you at French Marin Cheese Company.

Keep me posted.

Mike and Terri

Food :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:
Mike, the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. Maybe we can pick you and Terri and Jay Jay up on the northern part of the route.