bike to hot

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motorcop2396

Reaction score
Hi

Just got back from a 3500 mile trip to Colorado. I was stuck in traffic on the way back in Atlanta and I noticed my coolant fan kick on. The temp began to rise even though the fan was on.

I got back and changed the fluid and let the bike idle for about 15 min. or so. Outside temp was mild 70 degrees. The bike heated as it is suppose to but the heat continued to rise all the way up on the digital meter the electric fan did come on but the temp stayed up. Is this normal for the 06 fjr or should I be concerned.

I used the prediluted PRESTONE 50 50 "safe for all radiators"

and emptied the radiator using the BLOW JOB METHOD......... yea I love my bike

Someone please let me know

Up to where? <6, 7, or maybe 8 bars and probably not a problem. 10 bars...a problem.

As long as the temp it rises to is within the normal range (see your OM), it's fine. The idea of the fan is that it cap the rise to stay within the normal range when the bike is not getting enough air through the radiator, not that it return the temp to the level it is in cruising with normal airflow.

- Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
As with an automobile, check for occluded radiator or possibly a partially stuck thermostat (in the closed position).

As with an automobile, check for occluded radiator or possibly a partially stuck thermostat (in the closed position).

Thanks for the replies I went back out and tried to replicate the problem and I swear I think this bike is ALIVE it would'nt get above 6 bars. I let it idle for damn near 30 minutes and only 6 bars.

Guess maybe it was a stuck thermostat.

I got up to 10 bars yestday

I am confused maybe air in the rad when I changed the fluid ....ONlLY the grimlins know for sure..

Thanks

good chance it was an air bubble and when she cooled of, it burped. My VW's have the same issue thanks to their wonderfull coolent hose routing. Change the coolent, fire it up, let her warm, take a hard spin around the block and then shut her down. Come back an hour later and the coolent tank should be almost empty.

However, if the issue continues, it might be time to look at the t-stat.