Bike won’t start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2005 FJR Scott

Reaction score
Yep, I searched and thought I found the answer. WOT and crank until it starts.

Didn’t work.

Here’s the scoop: bike was running fine when I parked it in my storage shed and removed the battery.

I did not warm it up. Just started It, rode it to the shed and turned it off.

Battery has plenty of power, starter turns fine and I hear the fuel pump run when I turn the key.

What else could have happened?

Do you smell unburned fuel after you crank on it for a while?

Does it cough or sputter at all or completely dead with no sign of firing whatsoever when you WOT cranked it? And how long?

If dead, pull one of the plugs and turn the engine over. Do you see a spark or not?

Engines need spark, fuel, and air to work. Which one is it missing?

Tell us more about the fuel and the storage.
How old? Full tank or partial tank? Stabilizer or not?
How long stored? Climate controlled or not?
Gas cap left open?

Mouse nest in the airbox??
Not holding your mouth just right??!!

Dan

Expiring minds want to know!!

No fuel smell, no sputtering or sign of trying to start. I’m guessing but the longest I cranked it was probably 15 seconds. I figured any longer and I might need a new starter.

Filled the tank when I parked it in October.
No stabilizer. No climate control. Gas cap closed. Mouth in proper position (I think)

I’m guessing but the longest I cranked it was probably 15 seconds.
I held mine WOT for a minute before on several occasions and finally coughed to life given the details and process I've documented in the fast starter syndrome thread....and still on my original starter. But I could smell fuel at the end of the minute.

No fuel smell? I'd pull a plug and try that next if you don't casually want to return to the WOT thing.

Could just be stale fuel.

There have occasionally been reports of a fuel pump running but not producing adequate pressure for the injectors.
Either weak pump or failing pressure relief valve. On the Gen 1 scooters the pressure relief valve is on the right end of the fuel rail where the return fuel line is connected.
Once, I think, there was a report of an incorrectly re-assembled fuel pump, but that wouldn't apply in this case.

Or maybe just crank a little longer.

dan

Crank for 60 seconds? I can’t imagine that’s gonna be good for the starter. I’ll go out in a minute and give it a 30 second spin and report back.

I opened the gas cap and I don’t think the fuel is stale. Unless it can go stale and still smell fresh.

Stale gas isn't going to be that much of a problem. Make sure the battery is good and 100% charged - makes a big difference. I have had this happen maybe three times in a dozen years. I usually will crank up to 30 seconds and give it a rest for 5-10 minutes before trying again. I am betting this is the problem and you will get it to go.

Make sure you let the engine get up to full operating temperature any time you start it!

Any smell of gas out the exhaust? Check to see if plugs are wet when you are checking for spark. Sometimes it may start the next day without issue... As mentioned, top off the battery before trying again and crank with throttle wide open. Good luck!

Check the air box and the engine bay for signs of critter activity or homesteading. If nothing is found and connections and fittings are tight, then as a last resort, try spraying a small amount of Engine Starting fluid (available at auto part stores) into the airbox. If you try to start the engine again, and it attempts to start, then there is spark, but likely no gas (injectors bad, fuse(s) blown, etc.). Don’t overdo it with the starter fluid, it won’t do any good to the engine, but will give you a general area to look into further. As @Ignacio said, one or more necessity for the engine to run is missing (fuel, air, or spark)

So, I put her up on the center stand. I accidentally bumped the shifter so the neutral light was off. Pushed it down into first then back to neutral and guess what. She fired without WOT.

Ran until warm and shut down on her own. WTH?

I’m real confused now. Could it be that the battery was too low? I was cranking A LOT

When you put it on the center stand, you kicked up the side stand? If the engine shuts off while in neutral, but put the side stand down I'd focus on the side stand switch.

Regardless, this a MUCH better outcome than the alternatives.