Bike won't crank with sidestand down

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, that makes sense then.
However, it makes you wonder about what's it's purpose/effectivenes is. A low oil level would not trigger about a failing oil pressure.
How about the check engine light?
I just verified against my '18 (granted I probably should have done that first) and it does the same, though it's many years newer. The check engine light also turns off after the initial check.
So I guess that's the expected behavior.
Now I'm wondering - how is that check engine light supposed to work? What prompts it to turn on? I really never gave it any thought on the '18 until now...

Ok, that makes sense then.
However, it makes you wonder about what's its purpose/effectivenes is. A low oil level would not trigger about a failing oil pressure.
How about the check engine light?
I just verified against my '18 (granted I probably should have done that first) and it does the same, though it's many years newer. The check engine light also turns off after the initial check.
So I guess that's the expected behavior.
Now I'm wondering - how is that check engine light supposed to work? What prompts it to turn on? I really never gave it any thought on the '18 until now...
Purpose is simply to let you know if your oil level is too low. In my experience, it never comes on between changes, but I have heard of it showing someone when his drain plug allowed oil to leak. As for worries about oil pressure, as a follower of this and another FJR forum for many years, I've never heard of a problem caused by falling oil pressure while there's been oil in the engine, and some contributors to these forums have racked up over 200,000 miles on theirs.

The light is controlled by a computer, it's not directly connected to the level switch. Same goes for most lights.

Last edited:
In my experience, it never comes on between changes,
Mine sometimes comes on during relatively hard acceleration. Usually within a few hundred miles after an oil change and only when the engine is not fully up to operating temperature.

Mine sometimes comes on during relatively hard acceleration. Usually within a few hundred miles after an oil change and only when the engine is not fully up to operating temperature.
I’ve been getting the same thing on my ‘07 with just under 70k miles!
Take off down the road while she’s still not up to temperature and next thing I know my red oil light is on! I had no idea it wasn’t an oil PRESSURE sensor. Figured it was just a fluke and have learned to ignore it.
…but that still begs the question: why is the light coming on under those conditions (mildly hard acceleration and relatively cool engine temp)?
Is this just our bikes’ way of telling us not to be impatient and let them warm up some more?

Well, I'm thinking out of the box here... Is it that the oil viscosity may need to be at the right temp to keep the oil level/amount in the crankcase at the right level as it flows down from the head and other areas? If not warm enough, it may take too long to return to the crankcase.
Normal behaviour. From the Owner's Manual:
1_oilwarningtip.jpg

So not unexpected.

Normal behaviour. From the Owner's Manual:
1_oilwarningtip.jpg

So not unexpected.
My Oil light does more than just flicker. It can stay on for up to a half minute or so. I back off the throttle when I see it but I certainly haven't had any engine issues as a result. Happens more often on my 160,000 km 2011 than it did on the '07.

Last edited:
Well, I'm thinking out of the box here... Is it that the oil viscosity may need to be at the right temp to keep the oil level/amount in the crankcase at the right level as it flows down from the head and other areas? If not warm enough, it may take too long to return to the crankcase.
That's exactly what's going on. Common on every Yamaha with an oil level sensor I've ever owned, especially as the oil level drops a bit between changes.

I've owned three FJR's, two 2007's and the current 2014. Never have I had an oil sensor light come on except when first starting up the bike after an oil change. As a side note, I never start off until the engine temp shows a numeric reading. Likewise I have never had an FJR that used oil in a detectable manner. Current 2014 is 68,000 miles.

All engines should use a little bit of oil between changes. The control rings should leave a thin film on the cylinder walls each stroke and the valve seals should leave a thin film on the valve stems.

Pandora would consume about 200ml or so between changes. Legacy seems similar.

All engines should use a little bit of oil between changes. The control rings should leave a thin film on the cylinder walls each stroke and the valve seals should leave a thin film on the valve stems.

Pandora would consume about 200ml or so between changes. Legacy seems similar.
I have never measured that carefully but I have never even come close to having to add any oil between changes. I fill it to the appropriate level on the sight glass and check maybe every couple thousand kilometers.