Bike won't start, clicks very fast

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryguy322

Reaction score
Hoping someone can give some info. I have 2007 FJR, and it won't start. To start from the beginning, I tried to start it last week after winter storage. Somehow my battery maintainer got unplugged. The bike only turned over a few times before the battery died, but it turn over. I recharged the battery and when when I hit the start button it would only click-click-click extremely fast but not turn over. If I put my finger on the battery, starter relay, really anywhere in that area, I can feel the rapid clicking. I thought the battery was junk so I pulled it and brought it in to have it tested. I was told it was good. I reinstalled the battery and tried to jump the starter relay. As soon as I jumped the relay, the clicking stopped, the bike wouldn't turn over, and I heard the start of a high pitch whine somewhere near the front of the bike. Any ideas what it might be or what I should try next?

^^^^ Likely the battery is toast. Have you tried jumping the bike? Do this w/o the (donor) vehicle engine running. Also check for any rodent caused wire damage. Eliminate simple stuff first...

Good luck!

~G

I also agree that the battery is the most likely cause, despite what they told you. Did they just check voltage or do a proper load test?

If you get the same behavior with a jump start, then look at starter solenoid.

I can't say how they tested the battery. They brought it in the back, came out a minute later and said it was good. I don't remember the last time the battery has been replaced, it's probably due to be replaced anyway. I'll pick up a new battery today or tomorrow and give that a try.

AGM is all I will use. I've had too good luck. My 08 battery lasted 7 years. My 2014 just went on battery #2. Yuasa's.
Hit some cold weather with the lithium and you probably push start.

Test don't guess..99 percent it is battery.. But.. Connections could be corroded and your starter relay could be bad or the starter itself could be bad so have the battery low tested before you spend money on it testing is free almost every place and stand there while they test it.
Hate to see a dump 200 into a battery and find out that you needed is $7 cable that's why they make testing equipment... The voltage meter just text the volts while it's static not while under load so I would say I would now test it with a voltmeter and see what it runs but again you have to pull the battery out anyway to replace it so pull the battery get it load tested and see if you need to buy a new battery

By the way the rapid clicking you here is the Bendix on the starter that's the little device on the end that has teeth popping back and forth but not spinning to engage your flywheel though I will say the rapid spinning sound you heard sounded as though the Bendix was spinning without popping out and engaging again you need to start with a fresh battery charge let's make sure it's not bad and if the battery does have 13.8 volts at a minimum there is a possibility your starter is bad but you have to start with a fresh battery charge and fresh battery if the battery is not sufficient.. that's just cross your fingers it's a weak battery

Ran into that same problem when I installed my grip heaters. Turned out that the frame contact on the ground strap wasn't as good as it should be. Agree that it is most likely the battery though.

I haven't gotten the new battery yet, but I'm sure that's what it is now. I put a smart battery charger on it and immediately got an error code of an open internal cell. The place I brought it to to have it tested must have just checked the voltage, not done a load test. New battery coming up

By the way the rapid clicking you here is the Bendix on the starter that's the little device on the end that has teeth popping back and forth but not spinning to engage your flywheel though I will say the rapid spinning sound you heard sounded as though the Bendix was spinning without popping out and engaging again you need to start with a fresh battery charge let's make sure it's not bad and if the battery does have 13.8 volts at a minimum there is a possibility your starter is bad but you have to start with a fresh battery charge and fresh battery if the battery is not sufficient.. that's just cross your fingers it's a weak battery
Just for clarity, not picking nits...FJR (and many other bikes) starters are not conventional automotive style. The starter motor (armature) is continuously in mesh with the starter gear and operates via a sprag (one-way) clutch. Once the engine starts, the one-way clutch is overrun and starter gear / motor stops.

FJR Starter Gear Assembly

~G

Last edited:
Correct… there is no bendix. This ain’t old harley or virago. First hand- That sound rapid clickkng is relay barely getting engaged …but cannot hold due to low voltage when loaded. Get yuasa agm. Dont buy from auto parts store

I got the new battery in and it turns over like a champ. Still won't start........I think I'll load it up and haul it in.