Bike won't start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sliderule

Reaction score
So I get up this morning to go to work thinking how nice of a ride it's going to be. I get all geared up sit on the bike hit the starter and it cranks and cranks but no fire. Turned off the key turned it back on, no noise. Fuel pumps not working. I've searched the site every chance I've had today, but can't seem to find anything to help me. Can someone point me in the right direction? Please? :unsure: I got the 4000 mile pm done on Monday. Could they have missed something that I could possibly fix myself? :glare:

I've searched every opportunity I've had to day and can't find the answer. Can someone please help? I went out to go to work this morning, thinking what a nice ride it would be, and when I hit the starter it just cranked and cranked but wouldn't fire. I turned off the key, turned it back on and the normal whine of the fuel pump wasn't there. I just had the 4000 mile pm done on Monday and it's ran fine since until this morning. :unsure:

What did you'r dealer,...salesmen say when you told him you'r expensive new mode of transportation failed you this morning? Tell them to come and get the machine and make shure it starts for you every morning,....It's almost brand new so don't fall into the "what am i gonna' do thing" allready.

-Don

I've searched every opportunity I've had to day and can't find the answer. Can someone please help? I went out to go to work this morning, thinking what a nice ride it would be, and when I hit the starter it just cranked and cranked but wouldn't fire. I turned off the key, turned it back on and the normal whine of the fuel pump wasn't there. I just had the 4000 mile pm done on Monday and it's ran fine since until this morning. :unsure:
Make sure the kill switch is off, battery charged, put it in neutral to eliminate the side stand & clutch switch & try it again.

Mine won't crank if the kill switch is in the "off" position.

I have 2 pertinent questions. When you last started the bike:

1) Did you let it warm up?

OR...

2) Did you perhaps start it, run it for a few moments and then turn it off?

If the latter (#2), the bike is flooded. Rotate the twist grip to WFO, then start the bike.

What did you'r dealer,...salesmen say when you told him you'r expensive new mode of transportation failed you this morning? Tell them to come and get the machine and make shure it starts for you every morning,....It's almost brand new so don't fall into the "what am i gonna' do thing" allready.
-Don

I don't want to leave the bike out with no one home and it will be Saturday before I can take it up. I'm hoping to get it going so I can take it in tomorrow and let them check it out.

Mine won't crank if the kill switch is in the "off" position.
SR- +1, I also opened and closed both these switches to make sure they were working.

I have 2 pertinent questions. When you last started the bike:

1) Did you let it warm up?

SR- Only long enough to put my gloves on

OR...

2) Did you perhaps start it, run it for a few moments and then turn it off?

SR- NO

If the latter (#2), the bike is flooded. Rotate the twist grip to WFO, then start the bike.
I did try this to see if I could start it to get the fuel flowing but to no avail. I still can't hear the fuel pump prime up when I turn the key on.

Have you checked the wire harness to the ECU?

I had a similar episode, and that's what caused it; a couple of wires apparently were loose, even though the harness clamp was snapped shut.

Also, have you recently had the tank up? If so, the fuel pump power may not have been securely reconnected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you checked the wire harness to the ECU? I had a similar episode, and that's what caused it; a couple of wires apparently were loose, even though the harness clamp was snapped shut.

Also, have you recently had the tank up? If so, the fuel pump power may not have been securely reconnected.
I don't know what all they did at the dealership when they serviced it but I will find out when I take it up there tomorrow. I'm thinking that they rushed it and missed something, seeing as I got there at 4:50 pm and they closed at 6. :glare:

Ok, so it appears that the kick stand switch was damaged in the wreck. With all the rain we've been having, water has got in there and shorted it out, which won't allow power to the fuel pump 'cause it thinks the ks is down.

I did look at the ks and other than it being a little loose everything seemed to be working. You could hear the click in the relay when you moved it up and down, but apperently it wasn't enough. I'll know for sure when they get into more on Monday. If thats it, I should be back on the road by Tuesday afternoon. :yahoo: I can't believe how much I dislike being in a car, it's only been 6 months since I started riding. No wonder they're called cages... :eek: LET ME OUT !!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmmm. At least you have an answer and it was something easily repaired. I didn't even think to have you check the computer codes, or did it even give you one?

Hmmmmm. At least you have an answer and it was something easily repaired. I didn't even think to have you check the computer codes, or did it even give you one?

No ,it didn't give me one, but there have been some new developments. They really got into it on Mon. and the side stand switch is actually good. After chasing down several different things, including going deep into the engine, they discovered that the fuel pump is dead. So they ordered a new one yesterday. Today I got a call that there are none in the U.S. and that it will have to be shipped from Japan. 5 days more added to the time in the cage! :angry:

At leased I know it wasn't my fault. :rolleyes: