Bike Won't Start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you go key on do you hear the fuel pump run ?

Is the battery fully charged, and cranking it over fast enough ?

If it was low and cranked slow the first time, you probably flooded it. Charge the battery and do the WFO start.

Poor Fred. Alan gets all the credit.

You know mi poor bastard step-pappy, there are others besides our illustrious ionbeam who can help here. For example, FredW and wfooshee are purty good too.
Oh I know mi Hijo, I know; whenever Walt and Fred comment on our FJR's, I definitely pay very close attention, Fred and Walt definitely know their mechanical stuff. It is just when electronics are involved, ionbeam is right up his professional alley with all things electric.

Did you see that RadioHowie doofus stated that gas cannot go bad in 3 weeks or 3 months? I should show him the receipt from Al's Outboard Service in Lake Havasu City, AZ on my Mercury outboard. That boat gas went bad and ruined the fuel pump on my Mercury 4-stroke marine engine in just over a month's time; a $362 repair bill!

Last edited by a moderator:
When you go key on do you hear the fuel pump run ?

Is the battery fully charged, and cranking it over fast enough ?

If it was low and cranked slow the first time, you probably flooded it. Charge the battery and do the WFO start.
I will listen for the fuel pump when I try again but previous attempts did not seem to be anything out of the ordinary. It cranked fast and confident.

Something else I forgot to mention. A few days ago when I was finding the best position for the locking tankbag, the tankbag hit the starter button probably 6-8 times and 2 or 3 times actually started the engine, the other times just briefly turned over the engine. Possibly something to consider.

Thanks.

the tankbag hit the starter button probably 6-8 times and 2 or 3 times actually started the engine, the other times just briefly turned over the engine.
Its flooded. WFO throttle while cranking.

Please, don't make me say it anymore..........

FJR tends to flood easily when the battery becomes weak and the bike has been sitting for a long time. Oddly enough, my '07 is at least three times worse about it than my '06, and you too have an '07.

You can easily kill a fully-charged and perfectly healthy battery spinning the motor long enough to clear the intakes.

BE VERY CAUTIOUS ABOUT PROLONGED CRANKING SESSIONS. Multiple one-minute bursts with the throttle held absolutely WIDE OPEN are best. Allow the battery to recharge and the starter motor to cool down between the bursts by resting 15-30 minutes.

One more question - Are you hearing the fuel pump fire up and pressurize the system each time the ignition is turned ON?

the tankbag hit the starter button probably 6-8 times and 2 or 3 times actually started the engine, the other times just briefly turned over the engine.

SkooterG beat me to the repeat. It's flooded. No doubt about it.

The short runs left the intakes nice and damp with liquid fuel from the cold start cycle. That big girl isn't going anywhere until you clear the intakes.

WFO away!!!

Oh yea, I smelled gas too. What should I do Scooter?
Sure, ask ScooterG and ignore the rest of us! :)

The bike WILL start, but you need to make sure the battery is well-charged each time you spin it over with Wide Open Throttle. Heed my warnings above about not doing it too long without allowing some cool-down time for the starter between sessions.

Spinning the engine when the battery is weak only makes the problem worse. Patience and persistence is the key.

ONCE THE ENGINE FINALLY STARTS - DO NOT ever run it again without letting it warm up to at least one bar on the temp gauge before shutting it off.

+1

Something else to consider. If you are charging it with an Optimate 3 they have 3 different charge rates. When you first plug it in it goes to desulfate, then charge, then maintain. The maintain is a low trickle charge, so if your battery needs more than a trickle you can unplug and replug in the charger and the process starts all over again giving your battery more of a charge if it needs it, and it wont over charge.

I see you said it's cranking over fast so you may not need to, but you could reset the charger and let it go overnight. This way in the morning you'll have a fully charged battery, and maybe some of the gas will evaporate. Then try the WFO start in the morning.

There I said it for ya Skooter. :p

07 with only 8K miles, new battery. Battery and ignition working fine but it just won't start.
Tesla,

Being your Plugs are probably at the End Of Life, now would be a great time to change them and more than likely by the time you change them, it will solve your problem.

If you want to go the Iridium route, you can get the NGK CR8EIX.

Hope this helps...

Tesla,

Being your Plugs are probably at the End Of Life, now would be a great time to change them and more than likely by the time you change them, it will solve your problem.

If you want to go the Iridium route, you can get the NGK CR8EIX.

Hope this helps...
Yea, its about time for that but I've been putting it off because of all the anecdotal evidence that our plugs will last much longer. That and my 07 engine continues to run like its trying to impress me.

I seriously appreciate all the help on this matter. I've got a ride scheduled tommorrow for noon so it's killing me not to go out tonight and try to start it but I'm not sure how long it will take to charge completely. Its been on the charger for about 3 hours now.

Well if you don't have New Ones available, you could take the Old Plugs out and clean them up.

I would even dry them out with a propane torch... but BE CAREFUL with any EXCESS Fuel in the cylinders so it does not Blow Up in your Face.

Good Luck with this..

"Something else I forgot to mention. A few days ago when I was finding the best position for the locking tankbag, the tankbag hit the starter button probably 6-8 times and 2 or 3 times actually started the engine, the other times just briefly turned over the engine."

Just out of curiosity, why would the ignition key have to be on during this exercise? :unsure:

My Honda generator wouldn't start. I towed it behind the FJR to bump start it but didn't have any luck. :rolleyes:

"Something else I forgot to mention. A few days ago when I was finding the best position for the locking tankbag, the tankbag hit the starter button probably 6-8 times and 2 or 3 times actually started the engine, the other times just briefly turned over the engine."

Just out of curiosity, why would the ignition key have to be on during this exercise? :unsure:
Cause I'm about to turn 50 and need to engage as many senses as possible while working on the bike. I could see the switch being depressed but I wanted to hear the starter too. But seriously, there is a little play in the switch before it engages and I wanted to get the bag as far away from me as possible. However, you got me thinking that being concerned about millimeters is ridiculous but had no clue I would flood the engine.......live and learn.

Did you see that RadioHowie doofus stated that gas cannot go bad in 3 weeks or 3 months? I should show him the receipt from Al's Outboard Service in Lake Havasu City, AZ on my Mercury outboard. That boat gas went bad and ruined the fuel pump on my Mercury 4-stroke marine engine in just over a month's time; a $362 repair bill!
I luv ya, Don, in a non homo way, but I just can't buy that gas can go bad in 3 weeks, unless it was already bad when it went in the tank, then just went worse.....unless tesla lives near Owosso and his gas filler is lined with wool, then all bets are off.

See folks???

See how a so-called friend will turn on you in a New York minute???

Bastage!

I guess I could just blame it on Friday. Sheesh!

Next, wfooshee will stop by and back the bus over me. :rofl: