Bike Won't Start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried to start the bike this morning, fully charged battery and WFO and it was a no go so I stopped after about 45 seconds of cranking and will try again 15 minutes after the last attempt per Ashes recommendation. I did hear the fuel pump do its thing.

I did smell a bit of gas while cranking. Am I flooding it further?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gave it a 20 minute rest, tried again and its currently purring like a kitten. It was looking like a no-go again after cranking for 30 seconds so I thought I would try something different and released the throttle and it started for a second and died. Tried again with WFO without success but released the throttle again while staying on the starter and thats when it started for good.

Releasing the throttle was not part of the procedure but I figured it couldn't hurt to briefly release it. Is my experience non typical?

Regardless, it is mid 80's in Dallas today and wife and I are stoked about riding with another 2-up couple of friends today. Life is good.

Thanks for everyones help.

"I luv ya, Don, in a non homo way"

Yeah, yeah, that's what they all say right before they come outa the closet. :eek:
I can always count on you Zippy to find the truth in any situation: RadioHowie is as queer as a three dollar bill! PS: I sent a Private Message to Walt to back a semi tractor trailer load full of railroad boxcar axles over RadioHowie.

BACK ON TOPIC: Regardless of what RH says, I have two machines that are extremely sensitive to gasoline that is older than 3 weeks: 1) My 2003 40hp Mercury outboard, four stroke-750cc-three cylinder. 2) 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650. Many times these engines have failed due to bad gas on numerous occasions. Most recently on the Mercury outboard: Was operated on New Year's Day on Lake Havasu and would not fire up on President's Day. Al's Outboard Service diagnosed the problem as bad gas and had to rebuild the fuel pump and clean out the fuel injectors. In February 2008 I fractured my right distal fibula offroading down in Mexico and was laid up for six weeks. Sure enough when I was ready to ride again, the two Beemers-the H-D-the FJR would fire right up. The KLR carburetor was gummed up so badly it had to be thoroughly cleaned out of gasoline additive residues gumming up the works.

tesla, You are getting great advice from some of the best: Skooty, JeffA and 03HiYoSilver; even our own RadioHowie. But, from my past experiences on my machines, you may want to look at changing out for fresh fuel: If these other procedures don't first work out for you.

Gave it a 20 minute rest, tried again and its currently purring like a kitten. It was looking like a no-go again after cranking for 30 seconds so I thought I would try something different and released the throttle and it started for a second and died. Tried again with WFO without success but released the throttle again while staying on the starter and thats when it started for good.

Releasing the throttle was not part of the procedure but I figured it couldn't hurt to briefly release it. Is my experience non typical?

Regardless, it is mid 80's in Dallas today and wife and I are stoked about riding with another 2-up couple of friends today. Life is good.

Thanks for everyones help.
Congratulations tesla, go out there and have a blast today with your wife and riding friends. You deserve to be in the wind and having fun!

Why is RadioHowie's avatar a photograph of him on my cell phone but Frankenstein on the computer?

Tried to start the bike this morning, fully charged battery and WFO and it was a no go so I stopped after about 45 seconds of cranking and will try again 15 minutes after the last attempt per Ashes recommendation. I did hear the fuel pump do its thing.

You definitely have too much fuel or not enough. But the odds are WAY in favor of it being flooded. You haven't been under the tank have you? I mean..., the fuel line from the tank IS still attached to fuel rail isn't it? You aren't smelling fuel because the line is dangling under the tank and dribbling away from pressure... is it???

:D

It might be worth your time/trouble to pull the spark plugs and try to clear the cylinders. Remove all four(4) plugs and lay the plug wires safely out of the way. Place a towel or large rag over the cylinder openings and spin the engine for a few seconds. You might be surprised how much raw fuel gets expelled. That would also give you the chance to clean the plugs themselves and dry them.

Once you are confident all the excess fuel is cleared, the old-fashioned spark check isn't a bad idea. Ground one spark plug body and spin the starter, just to see if you are getting spark on that cylinder. If you have one, odds are you have all four.

BUT..... I would try repeated cycles of WFO(Wide F---in Open) and IDLE throttle first. A long period of WFO (45 seconds) followed by a short burst (5 seconds) of IDLE, then back to (15-20 seconds) of WFO. Cool down, repeat... you know the drill by now.

I've had good luck using that back & forth technique. It creates rapid airflow across the throttle butterflies as you close down to idle, and that can help to atomize liquid fuel hanging around in the intake manifolds.

Well, if you'd give me time to type the damn thing!!! (See the post I added while you were typing.)

:D

Congratulations, now go put some fresh fuel in that fat girl and ride.

At this point the plugs may be wet and need to be changed or cleaned.

As a shortcut you may want to try Quick Start but be very careful.

My 04 would do this if it sat for more than a couple of weeks. Some times it would start cranking forever with WFO. Luckily, I live on a hill and it bump starts easily. I now just fire it up every week through the long Iowa winters. Ian, Iowa

EDIT: Sorry, I added this without reading the whole thread.

Just an after note on the "finally got it started" program.. and not knowing just how many times and possibly how long the bike has been turning over. But you may want to consider a sooner than later oil change if the cyl walls got washed a bit and there is a couple of extra ounces of fuel in your oil....Might be ok and burn off but i'd give the sight glass a look and the fill hole a sniff...yes,yes,..i know..

Don B

Similar experence last weekend.. History , Three weeks ago I relocated my PHID 4's from the top gun mounts to alex mounts and U bracketts I made.. During the alignment process obtaining clearance of the winshield, I had to cycle the sield up and down many times. The key was turned on / off 4-5 tmes. Finished the job and did not start the bike, still snowed in .

Last weekend did the full lube service of centerstand, suspension linkage and swing arm. Decided to start the bike the gauges swept ,fuel system to pressure , starter spun the motor well herd a loud backfire no start. Long story short charged the battery and 5 hours later fired up.. I think the weak battery was the main reason it did not start. Fired up after charge and non WFO throttle.

Other threads I have read with weak batteries have been the reason for the no start..

No, you're just smelling what's already sitting there, and it's being pumped through the motor.

The precess Jeff gave you is exactly the right thing to do.

Gen-II bikes do NOT like to be started and immediately shut off. You must let them warm up after firing them up, to get them out of the fast-idle mode.

Next, wfooshee will stop by and back the bus over me. :rofl:

You called???

DSC_9387.jpg

Just an after note on the "finally got it started" program.. and not knowing just how many times and possibly how long the bike has been turning over. But you may want to consider a sooner than later oil change if the cyl walls got washed a bit and there is a couple of extra ounces of fuel in your oil....Might be ok and burn off but i'd give the sight glass a look and the fill hole a sniff...yes,yes,..i know..

Don B
Funny you should mention that. Only have about 2K on the oil and it looks very dark considering only 2K on it. Am I looking for the smell of gas with the sniff test.

Rode about 175 miles today and she ran magnificently.