Bike Won't Start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blurry vision

Reaction score
Well it's that time of year again. I thought I would be leaving for my yearly trip on September 26, but my bike won't start. I had two hard starts a few weeks ago leaving home and returning from breakfast. I parked the bike as I normally do and a few days ago it would not start. It turns over fine but just won't fire up. I have an 07 AE. There is a yellow indicator light on and the engine icon is illuminated. Since the battery is 5 years old I thoguht I would start with it and I get a new one. I changed the battery, air filter, plugs, oil & filter. These items did not solve the issue. I read the threads but I did not see anything similar to the issue I am having. All of the other threads the bike won't even turn on. Not sure if the grounding recall item could be the cause of this. Hopefully, I can get this issue resolves without it being too costly. But we all know when you take it to the dealer it's always costly. Any suggestions will help. If I don't get it resolved soon, I will have to change the route of my trip. I don't want to ride in ice through the Rockies. Safe riding to all.

Blurry Vision07

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a recall for the ground spider issue I think. Free replacement from the dealer I heard?

"FJRF009 - Intermittent Ground Wire Connection "Ground Spider""

I am sure someone very knowledgeable will chime in and help you out. Would be nice to read the code of the service light.

Mark

There is a recall for the ground spider issue I think. Free replacement from the dealer I heard?

"FJRF009 - Intermittent Ground Wire Connection "Ground Spider""

I am sure someone very knowledgeable will chime in and help you out. Would be nice to read the code of the service light.

Mark
Cometman,

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I checked with the dealer and my bike is on the recall list. I will take it to them for the recall item. I am not sure if the recall item is what's causing the problem though. Hopefully, if the grounding spider is the issue the dealer won't say it's something else and turn my pockets inside out. Once again thank you for the input.

Blurry Vision

If it cranks, there's a trouble light and the turn signals indicators aren't lit up it isn't the spider recall at the root of the problem.

Check the codes thrown by the ECU - it could well point you in the right direction.

If "it is turning over fine" as you say then I would make sure the battery is fully charged, crank it in 3-5 second bursts with the throttle WIDE OPEN. It may take some time but it will start.

Don

If "it is turning over fine" as you say then I would make sure the battery is fully charged, crank it in 3-5 second bursts with the throttle WIDE OPEN. It may take some time but it will start.

Don
Thank you Don for the info. I tried several attempts per your instructions, but the bike still did not start. I noticed while trying to start it, the ABS light comes on and the yellow warning light at the shift indicators flashes. I do not have a code reader, so I cannot supply any info about the error codes. I guess I'm dealer bound one day this week. Thanks for your help.

If it cranks, there's a trouble light and the turn signals indicators aren't lit up it isn't the spider recall at the root of the problem.

Check the codes thrown by the ECU - it could well point you in the right direction.

Thank you Bramfrank. I do not have a code reader. Since I'm running out of time, I guess I will be going to the dealer. Thank you for the advice.

BlurryVision07

Don
Thank you Don for the info. I tried several attempts per your instructions, but the bike still did not start. I noticed while trying to start it, the ABS light comes on and the yellow warning light at the shift indicators flashes. I do not have a code reader, so I cannot supply any info about the error codes. I guess I'm dealer bound one day this week. Thanks for your help.
When you say 'several attempts', that may not be nearly enough, it sometimes takes everything the battery has got, recharge and go again to get it cleared.

This usually occurs if the bike has been started but not allowed to FULLY warm up.

If you are not happy with continuous cranking the only alternative I can think of is to pull the plugs, spin the engine over with a wide open throttle to clear the entire system, re-install the plugs, start her up as normal and ride away :lol:

Good luck with it

Don

...I do not have a code reader...
Click >>HERE<< to get the code reader.

Thank you Ionbeam for the code reader info. The throttle position was correct and the fuel pump came on just as it should. I cranked the bike in 5 second burst, until the battery was drained but, the bike still did not start. As indicated in the earlier post, the battery is new. Additionally, I charged it the night before just to ensure it was fully charged. Well, I've already loaded the bike on my truck and will be headed to the turn your pockets inside out dealer. Gotta get it done so I can make my trip. Once again thanks for everyones help. This is the best forum I have ever used.

Blurry Vision 07