Bike won't start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The switch has four wires. Two are larger, two are smaller. All it does is connect the two large ones together for one circuit, and the two small ones together for the other circuit. One of those large wires is hot, 12V off the battery (through a fuse) but I don't recall offhand which. Point is, when you go digging around you might want to remove the ground wire from the battery so no volt things go touchie-feelie with metal ground places.

As a test, you can simply take the two heavier wires into the switch and connect them together. Doing so should turn the bike on if the battery is still connected. (It will crank, but not start. Connecting the other pair together enables engine run.)

Last edited by a moderator:
So, in an attempt to save $150, I sprayed some electrical cleaner in the weep hole in the underside of the switch...Problem solved! I guess the contacts just got dirty in the last 40k miles. Thanks for all the help folks!

CM