Blast from the Past: Hydration Systems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
Still have to fit the drinking tube, obviously, but my footpeg-mounted Hydration System for my S1000XR  is almost set. Long-time FJRForum members may recognize the aluminum base that I have affixed the Yeti jug holder to... 😁  Turns out, it is a direct-fit on the BMW. 

Newer members may not know his name... the fabricator was Skyway. He had a bit of a checkered past here, IIRC. 😃

initialMount.jpg

Looks good. I have two Skyway setups. One on the FJR and one unused spare. It goes on the wing now that I ride solo.

Funny, the base looks suspiciously like the set up that I got from somewhere... maybe it was a skyway? Used to have a coleman 1/2 gallon cooler in a black nylon case buckled to the base.  Mine now holds an artic 1 gallon which fits the base perfectly. 

My half-gallon Igloo jug sits in a cookpot from the Dollar Tree that I broke the handle off and drilled holes in the bottom for a U-bolt around the passenger peg.  The tube is 3/8" plastic tube from Home Depot.  And I rode a thousand or two miles with the money I saved.   😊

Mine was all DIY

water01.jpg

With details here

Large Camelbak here.  I fill it with ice, top it off with water, and put it in a kitchen-sized plastic garbage bag. Then I wrap a thick towel around it, and put the whole thing in the expanded section of my tank bag.  The drinking hose comes out the zipper, and I hook the clip on the grab handle of the tank bag.  Easy to use, easy to see and reach.  And wrapped the way I have it, I get cold water all day.  Simple is good, in this case.

Even those under-10-dollar Igloo or Coleman jugs hold cold for a while, especially if you start with some ice.  I don't use a bite valve; it's easy enough to pull the water through the hose and then you just have to blow the water in the hose back into the bottle when you're done drinking.  Water left in the hose definitely gets hot.  Empty hose, no prob.  Anyway, if you're thirsty, all water is pretty welcome.