Blood Drive in LA for Turbo Dave w/ CONTEST

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeroux

Reaction score
( Admins, feel free to move this Topic anywhere you wish )

Hey Y'all.

Turbo Dave ( 2009 IBR participant, 2006 AE owner, and a heckuva good guy ) is having a pretty serious surgery on February 5th, and this surgery will require many blood transfusions. Blood Banks are typically in very short supply this time of the year, and Dave's surgery could get canceled if there is not enough blood on the shelf.

So I'd like to ask you, if at all possible, ride on down to one of the four Kaiser Blood Donation Centers in the Greater Los Angeles area and drop off a pint for Turbo.

You can donate ANYTIME up to 3 days BEFORE Turbo's surgery. All donations need to be in the bucket no later than Feb. 2nd. Giddyup.

When you call to make a reservation, they will tell you all you need to know, and answer any questions you may have.

When you call, tell them you'd like to make a Directed Donation, and have this info ready:

Patient Name: David L. Hicks

Surgery Date: February 5th, 2010

Surgery Location: Kaiser Sunset, Hollywood, CA

Kaiser Card# 7834610

Call any of these four locations most convenient to you.

Woodland Hills 818-719-4329

Hollywood 323-783-6667

Downey 562-803-2800

San Diego 619-528-6555

It's pretty easy to donate blood, you don't have to study or anything.<G>

Kaiser will validate parking, and give you juice and cookies when you're done.

So the Contest is thus: I will cook a 3-course meal for the five riders from the furthest distance, and your dinner guest will be Turbo Dave himself. Documentation of your efforts is Scouts Honor.

So help out a Great Man and maybe score a nice dinner. Win-Win.

Take care Y'all,

GZ

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish I was closer so I could help out... although even if I was I most likely wouldn't be able to donate since I've had lots of transfusions myself last year!

Bumping for a good cause!! :)

I called the nice lady at the donation center in Hollywood and she said that I could donate on Feb 1st which is the Monday after the White Stag Rally. A quick check of the map shows Beatty is about 250 miles from Hollywood. Soooo, my plan is leave Beatty on Sunday, ride to LA, get a room, give blood Monday morning and head back to Phoenix. Going for the kitchen pass now...wish me luck, and anything for TurboDave!! :p

Update: Kitchen pass secured...I'm gonna bleed for Dave!

Blood Type is UNIMPORTANT.

This is a Pound-For-Pound deal.

Let's put it this way: they need RED BLOOD.

Ya Dig? Sho Nuff.

GZ

Anyone--anywhere--can donate and designate Dave or anyone else as a "credit." Obviously, we don't all have the same blood type, and the chance of Dave actually receiving your blood is low, wherever you go to donate. And that doesn't matter. You--wherever you are--can take the information here and donate, designating TD for the credit. I certainly hope there's enough blood on hand for Dave's surgery, and wish him a successful operation and speedy recovery, but wherever you are, if you can give blood, do it. Right now, it's good to designate Dave; that way he'll get credit and it reflects with his billing, although as a Kaiser member, that is probably not an issue for him. But I encourage anyone who isn't a regular donor to become one. With everybody getting tattooed, for just one huge thing, there are less and less eligible donors all the time, and they haven't figured out anything to replace it. Good luck, Dave, and step up, forum.

Anyone--anywhere--can donate and designate Dave or anyone else as a "credit." Obviously, we don't all have the same blood type, and the chance of Dave actually receiving your blood is low, wherever you go to donate. And that doesn't matter. You--wherever you are--can take the information here and donate, designating TD for the credit. I certainly hope there's enough blood on hand for Dave's surgery, and wish him a successful operation and speedy recovery, but wherever you are, if you can give blood, do it. Right now, it's good to designate Dave; that way he'll get credit and it reflects with his billing, although as a Kaiser member, that is probably not an issue for him. But I encourage anyone who isn't a regular donor to become one. With everybody getting tattooed, for just one huge thing, there are less and less eligible donors all the time, and they haven't figured out anything to replace it. Good luck, Dave, and step up, forum.
Dang, I would love to donate blood for Dave! I was in Europe until '96, and they still do not let me donate based on the Mad Cow Disease Disaster over there from the mid 80s into the 90s. I check for that every few months. My wife is finally allowed to give (she was less then five years accumulative in Europe), but she just did her first blood donation in many years two days ago, now she has to wait another 54 days (56 total) before she can donate again.

I sure hope you get a bunch of takers for Turbo Dave. Kudos for soliciting this!

Chris in Portland

Blood Type is UNIMPORTANT.
This is a Pound-For-Pound deal.

Let's put it this way: they need RED BLOOD.

Ya Dig? Sho Nuff.

GZ
Ok, I just cut myself to check, and I qualify! Yep! It's red! I am so all over this for TurboDave.

Mike, am I to read this as I can actually donate in my hood, not have to travel at all? Any local donation center, just bring the info?

DCarver,

unfortunately you gotta go to one of the four places in my original message. That's the breaks.

I suggest you lift all Candy Ass Association rules until Feb. 5th, so your brethren can make the trek down.

Thanks for understanding,

GZ

I didn't know Kaiser had their own separate blood donation program, but it seems they do, at least in LA. I don't think they do here in NorCal, but now I'm curious. I'll check tomorrow and if there's any way to donate for this purpose from up this way, I'll post about it. All my donations (coming up on nine gallons) have been at Red Cross blood banks, and they run it the way I posted.

I'll repeat: if you can't get to LA and donate for Turbo Dave, and/or if it can't be applied to his needs from wherever you are, just go ahead and donate blood. It's a good thing to do, and they give you donuts.

DCarver,
unfortunately you gotta go to one of the four places in my original message. That's the breaks.

I suggest you lift all Candy Ass Association rules until Feb. 5th, so your brethren can make the trek down.

Thanks for understanding,

GZ
I can handle it. All CBA members are fully exempt to make *multiple* runs to donate blood. I will lead by example.'nuff said? This is for TurboDave :yahoo:

I didn't know Kaiser had their own separate blood donation program, but it seems they do, at least in LA. I don't think they do here in NorCal, but now I'm curious. I'll check tomorrow and if there's any way to donate for this purpose from up this way, I'll post about it. All my donations (coming up on nine gallons) have been at Red Cross blood banks, and they run it the way I posted.
I'll repeat: if you can't get to LA and donate for Turbo Dave, and/or if it can't be applied to his needs from wherever you are, just go ahead and donate blood. It's a good thing to do, and they give you donuts.
I'll be watching for the answer, Mike.Thanks for doing the "leg work".

Happy to help if I can. Dave is, indeed, a very good man and he has had to deal with way too many heath issues in recent years.

Hey Georgie,

Does the contest allow *multiple* runs for mileage accumulation? I'd love to get a free dinner offa you.. just sayin'..

Hey Georgie,
Does the contest allow *multiple* runs for mileage accumulation? I'd love to get a free dinner offa you.. just sayin'..

Multiple runs are an awesome gesture, but you can only donate blood once every 58 days, and that's a Fed thang.

Sheet mang, I'll make you dinner sometime, no problem.

Thanks to everyone who is on board already, and ready to Ride-to-Bleed.

Turbo sure thanks you from the bottom of his heart.

GZ

Don if you need a bed for the night you know where we are.....

Being a former UK resident I cannot participate in this.. (something to do with Mad Cow)

R

Don if you need a bed for the night you know where we are.....
Being a former UK resident I cannot participate in this.. (something to do with Mad Cow)

R
Same offer here. If any forum member needs a bed for the night, we're not too far from Downey. Like Richard, I'm accused of being a Mad Cow so cannot donate blood.

For those who live too far from TurboDave, do consider donating blood locally. While you may not be helping Dave in person, you will be helping someone who may be just as good a guy as he is. There is a terrible shortage, which gets worse each winter. I work in an ICU where we transfuse patients regularly, One donation is split into several blood products i,e. Packed Red Cell, Fresh Frozen Plasma, Platelets, Cryoprecipitate etc and can make the difference between life and death for more than one person. You can tell the blood bank that your donation is in honor of Turbo Dave.

And to Dave, hope all goes well.