Blue Ridge Parkway

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for suggestions on where to park the van.  Further south than Virginia if weather does not cooperate.  Looking for a parking spot for a week - first week of March.

I'm thinking bike dealers, motels or Chev dealers.

Open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Canadian FJR

Looking for suggestions on where to park the van.  Further south than Virginia if weather does not cooperate.  Looking for a parking spot for a week - first week of March.

I'm thinking bike dealers, motels or Chev dealers.

Open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Canadian FJR
I’ve got a pasture 2 hours from the BRP where you can park the van 

Thanks for the link BigOgre and the offer to park 1911.

I have a few weeks to confirm my plans.

Canadian FJR
If all else fails. As in shitty weather, I'm going to drive right to Dan's. Or we could do donuts with our vans at 1911's. Both would work.

I live about five miles from the northern terminus of the Blue Ridge Parkway, which is also the southern terminus of Skyline Drive. Both roads are currently (04/14/2020) closed due to Covid-19.  But, there's still lots of other great roads that are open. Let me know if you still need a place to park your van or anything else.

Thanks for the invite Matt. We attended a rally in early March in Florida. Now we're stuck on the other side of the border. We'll check in with you when this shut down  is over. Stay safe.

I learned a lesson when I traveled to Austin Texas in March to pickup a '17 FJR I purchased their in December 2019.  The lesson is the SE USA has rain and thunderstorms from October to May about 40% - 60% of the time.  Locals say the bands of rain roll through then it clears off.  I was in Layette planning to visit Barber Motorsport museum near Birmingham Alabama.  The forecast was for rain and thunderstorms for 4 days.  Between the crummy weather and COVID-19 I decided to head home.

Late August and September is the time to be in the SE USA - just watch out for the hurricanes. 

I learned a lesson when I traveled to Austin Texas in March to pickup a '17 FJR I purchased their in December 2019.  The lesson is the SE USA has rain and thunderstorms from October to May about 40% - 60% of the time.  Locals say the bands of rain roll through then it clears off.  I was in Layette planning to visit Barber Motorsport museum near Birmingham Alabama.  The forecast was for rain and thunderstorms for 4 days.  Between the crummy weather and COVID-19 I decided to head home.

Late August and September is the time to be in the SE USA - just watch out for the hurricanes. 
You're absolutely right.  To have daily rain here in the southeast summer is the norm and why we are frequently checking rain gear and waterproofing gloves and boots.  The Gulf coast in the damnedest thing- you can nearly set your watch by the late thunderstorms rolling through.  When last I was down in Mobile, Abbalama it rained every day, flooded the streets then blew out like it never happened.  Except the temperature doesn't drop after a rain like here so you'd find yourself in 103deg. F with steam rolling off the pavement like a sauna.  Then the biting gnats come out......