bolts for brake rotors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are looking to fix a cosmetic condition. Have you changed rotor bolts before? Rotor bolts can be a bear to remove unless you have the correct tools and heat source.

Anyplace that sells Yamaha parts will be able to get you rotor bolts, pick the place that has lowest prices and you are good to go.

I wonder if they use red loctite or blue on the bolts when installing. Red vaporizes at 600+ degrees.

Dave

I know it really didn't take a lot of heat, I hit the head a little and then the aluminum casting a bit with my butane torch and the they came fairly easy.

I know it really didn't take a lot of heat, I hit the head a little and then the aluminum casting a bit with my butane torch and the they came fairly easy.
Just enough to soften up the thread locker and they spin right out. As with a lot of the OEM bolts, make sure the hex driver is good quality to minimize the chance of rounding out the heads...

--G

I wonder if they use red loctite or blue on the bolts when installing. Red vaporizes at 600+ degrees.
Dave
I believe that someone poated up a few years ago that the loctite on the rotor bolts was green. Although Loctite does make different products in various colors for special purposes,. the standard green is Loctite 290 and does require heat to disassemble.

I'm doing it for cosmetic reasons......sounds more complicated than I thought. If I do it, i assume loctite will be necessary in re-assembly?

I'm doing it for cosmetic reasons......sounds more complicated than I thought. If I do it, i assume loctite will be necessary in re-assembly?
The FSM specifies Locktite on the rotor bolts but doesn't specify what type; I'd go with green. The bolts only call for ~13 lb/ft but come out like they are 130 lb/ft without heat. Use a quality hex wrench that properly fits the sockets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just checked out the blue loctite and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference to the green. Both will work I would imagine.

Dave

I got mine from a company in UK for 51.90 brit. lbs. Dont know the exchange rate offhand but don't think it's over 2:1???

i just got the titanium rotor bolts and installed them....They are PURDY! I was able to remove all but one of the old bolts, so I left it. One thing I found is that in heating the old bolts, is that it works better to actually heat the hub where the bolt screws in. It is aluminum and transfers the heat much better to the threaded part of the bolt. Heating the bolt head itself does not work as well. Wish I had discovered that before I started on the one I could not get out!!!

One thing that is of little concern is that the hex size of the titanium bolts in 5mm as opposed to 6mm. I wonder if that might be a problem in the event the rotors need to be removed? I used green thread lock...