boots scratching side cover?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xbmwscoot

Reaction score
Well this sux a bit..

Just got back from my maiden voyage on the FJR...mostly loved it...learning Master Yoda riding position, etc.

So the feelings were great, until I got home and did a fluid leak check, and walk-around.

Seems my Oxtar boots (with hard ankle protectors) started rubbing said ankle protector on the left side panel (directly above the foot peg)...about 4 or 5 abrasions that MOSTLY rubbed out w/ polishing compound.

I promptly got out the 3M paint protect film and got the left and right side panels covered where my boots are.

Anyone else have this problem with boots that have ankle protectors?

I have a pair of BMW boots w/o ankle protectors that, I guess, will be used a lot on the FJR now.

Otherwise LOVED the engine and drivetrain. Suspension is a bit more abrupt than the BMW R1200RT's I am coming off of. I'd say...90% positive on the initial ride...

anyway, any others w/ the boot abrasion problem on the painted side panels?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fuk. six days till Friday..

Oh wait .. Who gives A shit...

A finer platform for L.D. riding has yet to be invented.

Go buy a fookin Hardley an see if they need any members on the Oil drip forum..

Scratched paint..

Oh my Gawd :blink:

:jester:

Had to look at a bike to see what you were talking about because the painted surfaces should be up in th boot/toe area of the bike Right?

Anyway, I find that the back part {heel area} of my boots have left rub marks on the grey metal surfaces in that area and there is nothing that I can do about it short of trying to keep my feet on the pegs with my heels pointed outside. I've since learned to forget it and ride the bike.

Kinna like them heel scrub marks that you are gonna get on your side cases.............

Side panels, footpeg brackets, edge of the fairing where my knees rub when I hang off, tops and sides of the hard bags cause I have big feet and drag them there at least twice every ride, sides of the fuel tank...h'mmm yeah I ride the piss out of it, and I even washed it yesterday, then took a ride and it's dirty again...but all those love marks are sexy...rubbin's ridin'

anyway, any others w/ the boot abrasion problem on the painted side panels?
Yep. My SIDI's ankle gaurd rubs on the right side leaving marks, but I don't seem to have that problem on the left. Since I love the SIDI's I'll just have to ride it and live with it. :)

Mine do the same thing. At first it really bothered be but now, after 50K+ miles, there are other small scratches, etc.

However, I did go to the local cycle-parts-in-a-box (CycleGear) and buy a sheet of stick-on carbon fiber decal and placed it there and trimmed it to fit. I'm sure you could find some silver material of the same type to protect the area.

Fuk. six days till Friday..
Oh wait .. Who gives A shit...

A finer platform for L.D. riding has yet to be invented.

Go buy a fookin Hardley an see if they need any members on the Oil drip forum..

Scratched paint..

Oh my Gawd :blink:

Don't quit your day job..

I THINK I get it...

The bike has to look like sheite to prove you like to ride. But on the other hand, when a member here gets a new paint job on a friggin rear rack, you are all over how great it looks.

This was my first effin ride on the scoot, just wanted to know if others noticed this, or had a solution (besides just scratch the hell outta the cover). YOU, I guess don't have a solution, so quit the hijak to do what, make up for other inadequacies?

Hey, thanks for the help Bustanut, I can see you are the definite authority figure here I want to ask questions of.

Mine do the same thing. At first it really bothered be but now, after 50K+ miles, there are other small scratches, etc.
However, I did go to the local cycle-parts-in-a-box (CycleGear) and buy a sheet of stick-on carbon fiber decal and placed it there and trimmed it to fit. I'm sure you could find some silver material of the same type to protect the area.
Not, silver...black.

I am talking of the painted side cover...not the frame.

A real simple way to never scratch your bike ?

Don't ride it.
I manage that for 4-5 months up here.

Guess there is no use for 3M Paint Protect film on this forum. I should see if Tankslapper has sold to anyone else here. Seems like the answer is no.

Hey mods...I think I have all the useful info I need on this subject....hijack seems to be the order of the day.

Not, silver...black.I am talking of the painted side cover...not the frame.
Oh, I too thought you were talking the frame as that's where my guards hit. Dang! You must have some high ankles! :)

The soles of my boots used to rub on the black swing arm of my CBR rubbing the finish off in a couple of small spots. I used some black cloth tape (basically black duct tape) to cover those spots and reduce the wear. Since it was just a couple of small spots I tore small pieces which made it less noticeable.

Not the perfect solution, but might be better than letting the paint to scratch off a bigger area. (?)

Guess there is no use for 3M Paint Protect film on this forum. I should see if Tankslapper has sold to anyone else here.
That's probably a better idea than I had! I think you can buy a sheet of that stuff from tank slapper. If not, google 3m protective film. I know they make sheets of it for other applications.

There is a lot of useful info on this board that I have been able to use in regards to FJR's, you just have to learn to ignore some of the characters here. :rolleyes:

Not, silver...black.I am talking of the painted side cover...not the frame.
Oh, I too thought you were talking the frame as that's where my guards hit. Dang! You must have some high ankles! :)
Yeah, when my size 13's want to they can do some damage! :rolleyes:

When I have my feet positioned on the pegs correctly (front part of the foot on the peg), that does push my ankles a bit high. When cruzin down the slab, I can have my feet hooked by the heel on the pegs, but in the twisties (shifting a lot), the ankle protection is lined up w/ the lower part of the painted side panels.

I already cut some 3M film for this area, and am going to try my BMW boots w/o ankle protection today.

Thanks!

Don't quit your day job..
I THINK I get it...

The bike has to look like sheite to prove you like to ride. But on the other hand, when a member here gets a new paint job on a friggin rear rack, you are all over how great it looks.

This was my first effin ride on the scoot, just wanted to know if others noticed this, or had a solution (besides just scratch the hell outta the cover). YOU, I guess don't have a solution, so quit the hijak to do what, make up for other inadequacies?

Hey, thanks for the help Bustanut, I can see you are the definite authority figure here I want to ask questions of.
I missed this thread until now. Oh! I get it! That's because it's not even 24 hours old yet.

I've used the tankslapper kit and there are some good and bad things about it. my recommendation? don't spend money on the whole kit as I found parts of it aren't worth it (they come off or i had real problems getting them on right to begin with). that being said however, once my new paint job[1] has time to cure i will be considering the film that goes on the back part of the gas tank (3 pieces). but it doesn't include side panel films iirc, the pieces it has are for the lower subframe above the footpeg.

I also wear the Oxtar Matrix boots and have no experience with them reaching up to the side panels. I only have a 10.5D boot and wear long pants that cover the boots to below the ankle.

[1] it's not just a rear rack and that's obvious if you read the comments instead of just looking at the pictures.[2]

[2] this reaction/comment invalidates any righteous indignation you may have had because, by dragging me into the discussion, you did the very thing you're pissed at the jokesters about.[3]

[3] i would encourage you to lighten up a bit and take the thread as a "no sir, we do not have any experience with the product you are curious about, sir." the difference is there are no "sirs" and more gheyiety.

xbmwscoot,

Did you ever watch the TV show "Cheers"?

This place is a lot like that....a bar full of different characters and personalities.

To make a direct comparison, Bustanut is the Forum's version of Cheers' "Coach". He's taken one-too-many in the head. And Odot is "Carla". Mean and bitter. :) "Dr. Crane" is played alternately by Radman and Bounce. "Lilith"? I dunno...maybe Jestal? :rofl:

My point is, Cheers was a great place to hang out, in spite of (or because of) some of the "characters" who frequented the place, just like here. We're all just "spice" that makes the dish just a little tastier than the stuff that comes out of a can. Some folks can't take the heat. Smarter folks quell the fire with a cold one and add their own spice to the mix.

Many have come and gone because they didn't like the taste. Unfortunately, the loss was theirs. Here's hoping you add yours to the mix.

RH

[SIZE=8pt](edit to add: DCarver is "Cliff Clavin"....no one here likes him either)[/SIZE] :rolleyes:

cliff-claven1.jpg

Dang I wuz gonna say you was him...

Yer a funny guy Howie :dribble: