boots scratching side cover?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cliff-claven1.jpg

Dang I wuz gonna say you was him...

Yer a funny guy Howie :dribble:

:jester:
Hmmmm. Looks like that flat beer went straight from the bathroom to the tap. One way to cut costs.

Gary in Fairbanks (hijacker)

"Dr. Crane" is played alternately by Radman and Bounce.
i bed to differ! Radman may be pompous and sexually conflicted, but not me! Well maybe occasionally pompous.

"Lilith"?
would be HOT to get into bed! i bet she has a plethora of characters inside that head of hers; each with their own costume.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine has removed all the paint and color from the side of mine from my boots rubbing it.... I ride on the balls of my feet on the pegs so it has subbed a pretty big area off...... I would not mind some sort of a stick on carbon fiber looking stick on thingy like my tank protector... but I am not that worried about it.... I can replace it or have them painted when it bothers me enough

"Dr. Crane" is played alternately by Radman and Bounce.
i bed to differ! Radman may be pompous and sexually conflicted, but not me! Well maybe occasionally pompous.
Don't get the big head or anything, but my comparison was based on "Dr. Crane's" obvious superior intellect and gruff but helpful countenance.

:D

Oh, and Lilith? OH YEAH!!

20070828-Bebe%20Neuwirth.jpg

Hey xbmwscoot,

I use the 3M protector stuff everywhere. I buy it at an autoparts store in a 6" wide roll and cut to size for where ever it goes. Not cheap, but a lot cheaper than painting. I especially use it behind the front wheel, on the frame above the foot pegs, on the side panel where the intercom and heated clothing wires dangle, and around the passenger peg supports. It is also on the headlight lens keeping them clear. Works great and when it gets bad looking, pull it off and put a new piece on.

Tankslapper has that wet and stick on stuff but I never had any luck with it. Falls off if you hit it just right with the hose and a car wash will blow it off for sure.

Hey xbmwscoot,
I use the 3M protector stuff everywhere. I buy it at an autoparts store in a 6" wide roll and cut to size for where ever it goes. Not cheap, but a lot cheaper than painting. I especially use it behind the front wheel, on the frame above the foot pegs, on the side panel where the intercom and heated clothing wires dangle, and around the passenger peg supports. It is also on the headlight lens keeping them clear. Works great and when it gets bad looking, pull it off and put a new piece on.
My Cycleport kevlar mesh pants have scratched the side covers, I'm going to try this stuff. I assume it has an adhesive back rather than the water stick on method. Ian, Iowa

Duane at Premier Cycle in Ohio has just added a side cover protection film kit. I caught the wear marks on mine before the paint wore through and I'm putting the kit on.

Yep, when the bike is brandy-new you wash, wax, clean, polish, fret over each and every little nick or scratch. You wash the bike weekly, full wax every 2 weeks with q-tip detail.

Then one day Bambi comes along and somehow it just don't matter anymore.. :fuck:

MassDamage.jpg

Yep, when the bike is brandy-new you wash, wax, clean, polish, fret over each and every little nick or scratch. You wash the bike weekly, full wax every 2 weeks with q-tip detail.
Then one day Bambi comes along and somehow it just don't matter anymore..

MassDamage.jpg
:fuck:
[SIZE=18pt]Holy Odocoileus hemionus fecalus stinkus!![/SIZE]

I knew you were a charter member of the FJR Forum Bambi Crash Club...walked away and all....but I had NO idea!

I know it's old stuff and has been long sinced repaired, but OH MY GOD!!!

Did you hit one of these>>>>>
MOOSE.jpg
?????

Hey Howie.. Quit screwin' around and get back to work :unsure: I ain't got time for no dickshunairy. :eek:
:jester:
Phuque that "get back to work" shiite. It's too close to lunch and I'm windin' down for a sammich from "Mister Fish, Where Every Nibble is a Good Bite!"

They do icelandic cod, dredged in corn meal, deep fried that is to die for. :)

offtopic [The OP asked a legitimate question...and has finally received some legitimate responses filtering through...but not before receiving shite.

I have no problem receiving and giving out crap to people I have come to know...but if someone who doesn't know me busts my ass for no reason...I'm gonna take that personally and either do something I will regret or move on...silent but pissed off. I tend to be polite to guests in my house...but that's just me.

So if you want to have a friendly banter with friends that's one thing...but to pop someone in the face who you don't even know is bad form IMO. Even in Cheers they only busted ass on the people they knew. But hey...this board is what you make of it...I personally don't mind people asking questions.]

And so to keep this post on topic, I will say that I don't keep my bike in pristine condition like others on the board...and have noticed scuff marks as well where my boots have scuffed it up...wish it weren't there...but if someone comes up with a good scuff protection film...I say more power to 'em. :clapping:

"Lilith"?
would be HOT to get into bed! i bet she has a plethora of characters inside that head of hers; each with their own costume.

Don't count on it. Bebe Nuewerth (Lilith) stared in Here Lies Jenny at my wife's theater last year. She's one seriously disgruntled piece of work. Made life hell for everyone. Plus, she's only interested in guys 15 years younger than herself.

offtopic [The OP asked a legitimate question...and has finally received some legitimate responses filtering through...but not before receiving shite.
I have no problem receiving and giving out crap to people I have come to know...but if someone who doesn't know me busts my ass for no reason...I'm gonna take that personally and either do something I will regret or move on...silent but pissed off. I tend to be polite to guests in my house...but that's just me.

So if you want to have a friendly banter with friends that's one thing...but to pop someone in the face who you don't even know is bad form IMO. Even in Cheers they only busted ass on the people they knew. But hey...this board is what you make of it...I personally don't mind people asking questions.]

And so to keep this post on topic, I will say that I don't keep my bike in pristine condition like others on the board...and have noticed scuff marks as well where my boots have scuffed it up...wish it weren't there...but if someone comes up with a good scuff protection film...I say more power to 'em. :clapping:
+1 Thought that more than once myself

XBMWSCOOT,

You know, it's just an unfortunate cultural fact of life, people are often less tactful or downright mean on-line, writing things they'd never say face to face.

Having said that, this really is a great forum, filled with really knowledgeable folks who are happy to go outta their way to be helpful. Don't just dismiss it because a few people "have no boundaries", as they say. Even THOSE people are usually fairly well meaning. They just don't play well with others.

(Boy, am I gonna unleash a sh*t storm or what?)

So re: your problem, it's not just boots that will wear on those side covers. Even riding pants and jeans eventually leave a dull, worn spot on the clearcoat. The same will happen where your knees abrade the sides of the tank. The fact that you (and I) have shiny black paint just makes it much more noticeable than it would be on say a silver bike. Early on you'll be able to shine it back up with some scratch remover, but ultimately even that won't work. I don't know about you, but I keep bikes for a long, long time. Can't afford to be trading up to a new one every 3 or 4 years.

A clear plastic film is your only option here. I'd recommend the Tankslapper product over the stuff at Premier Cycles. It's much less expensive. They use a thinner, more "pliable" film for all but the worst problem areas like the nose piece. The thinner stuff goes on MUCH easier. It has no adhesive, like the heavy 3M stuff,so is more easily positionable, but I've have good luck with it on durability. And since it's cheaper and easier to install, if I have to replace it every few years I don't mind.

Don't know why, but no one seems to offer kits with pieces for the side covers. What I did was I just got 2 tank sets. Installed the tank pieces from the first set. Then with the second set, I cut pieces for the side cover and the top of the bags (another real problem area). For my '08 side cover I didn't try to cover the whole thing - there's a depressed section which makes covering the entire thing a real installation problem. For me, it was only the very bottom flat section of the cover that got worn. The cover has sort of 3 different "planes" to it running horizontally. The middle "plane" is depressed and the top "plane" is angled inwards, and seemed to avoid contact with my lower leg. So cutting a little 2.5 inch or so tall strip to cover just that bottom section worked for me.

When you custom cut, make a paper template first. Get it just right, then use it as a guide to cut the film. On the Tankslapper website they have a GREAT Quicktime video that tells you everything you need to know about the install.

Good luck. Maybe civility will come back in fashion at some time in the future... it could happen!! Or not...

Chris