Bought another Yamaha

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob,

Try again, it's been a while since I posted a picture. Should work now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha. Noisier than your previous one. Your poor neighbors? :)

Hey, thats cool. I recently bought a Yamaha piano.

Outstanding sound and quality.

Best Ive had so far.

It was on my bucket list. Now checked off.
https://imgur.com/H0BFJgL

Dave
Ahh, but for the lack of talent, there go I.

I don't know if it's true, but I have heard that Yamaha's knowledge of sound waves from building musical instruments, was a major factor in them being able to build their early two stroke racers and that success, as always gave them a big advantage in the marketplace.

Haven't played since High School. To say the least I need a lot of practice. It's something I like to do and you get to just zone out when playing.

Dave

H0BFJgL.jpg

I have that same Yamaha set in red under the steps in my basement. I bought it for my boys to use while participating in percussion in the school band and have always enjoyed banging on them myself. My oldest got pretty good on them and was in a garage band for a couple years. I should dig them out and set them up. The wife would be impressed.
punk.gif

The 'tuning fork logo' has always been their (Yamaha's) commitment to great instruments!

Ours just happens to rock and ROLL a little differently....
punk.gif

Nice set...

I have a seven piece Ludwig set that I purchased in 1967 (silver sparkle). Never had a real job until I graduated college... played in bands through high school, college, and beyond.

Now that I'm retired, I'm looking to rekindle the spark. Have half the drums set up in my living room... part Art Deco and part stress reliever.

Motorcycles and music... can't beat it.

Dave, that is so cool! Im so happy that you have found something like this that makes you feel good.

Im on a similar parallel path with guitar playing. Always wanted to, tried to start several times, always failed due to lack of time. Funny thing... after I retired I had the time, so, why not?

Its not about becoming a public performer, those ships have sailed. Its more about making yourself feel good and having some fun along the way. I started out buying a clapped out Ibanez HSS Strat-like axe. Some high school kid was selling it locally, it was in rough shape, but not too expensive if it didnt work out. Its not a great instrument, but its also not bad. I spent time to learn about guitar setup, and what luthiers charge so much for, and got it playing pretty well.

Then... the hook was set. From there I bought an inexpensive but reasonably capable acoustic. A Fender CD60S. Replaced the plastic bridge and neck with Chinese cattle bone replacements. Learned about acoustic setup. Played every day because I have time and, mostly, because it is fun.

To make a longer story short, Ive somehow now got a second acoustic (Seagull S6) and 2 more electric guitars, (telecaster and a Strat) the last one I built myself, and am quite proud of how well it plays, even though it would be considered a 10 foot guitar by most purists. Its a Strat SSS clone I made from a bare wood blank on up, finished the body myself, and cobbled a bunch of Chinese parts onto. A true partscaster. Cost me all of $130 to build. But it plays great because I learned how to do guitar setup along the way.

I hope your drumming experience is as rewarding to you. Maybe someday well be feeling confident enough to jam out together. Get a NERDS band going or something? We would need some BBQ to make it great. Know anyone that does that?

I can barely play the radio properly so drums and guitars are not in my future. But it does please me that you folks are enjoying these instruments.

Dave/08FJR4ME, please don't hit your boss. It just never ends well. Go ride your bike, play your drums or just vent to us. We will help de-stress you.

Hello Fred,

Very nice job. I still have a lot of guitar stuff that my son Danny used to play when all was good in the world. When he developed his illness he couldn't play anymore. All kinds of electric boxes that do different things. I couldn't begin to tell what they do. 3 amps I believe also. If there is something you need let me know and you can have it. That would be cool to jam together but right now I am ot even close to where I used to be in my earlier days. I will have to work on that.

Dave

Redfish,

As much as I would like to take a swing at him I most likely wouldn't. I did that once in my earlier days but it go broken up quick. I have aged and gotten wiser. There's a lot of turmoil at work right now and I am just trying to get through it. It's looking like we will be sold off in a year or two.

Dave

Yeah I’m nowhere near being able to jam out yet either. Just a chord strummer so far. But it’s fun and that’s what counts. Glad you found an outlet from the everyday stresses of work life.

Your link doesn't work for me, but I assume it's a piano. Cool.

It wasn't until after the birth of my second child I got into playing. I built a MIDI studio in a spare bedroom.

IMG-3897.jpg

Never really got good at playing, but became pretty good at composing. Even sold a musical piece to the Army for background in a training film.

Lost interest when we moved out to the lake here, mostly because my computer got taken during the move. Still have the set up downstairs and I plan to get back at it after I retire. :)

Dave, that is so cool! Im so happy that you have found something like this that makes you feel good.
Im on a similar parallel path with guitar playing. Always wanted to, tried to start several times, always failed due to lack of time. Funny thing... after I retired I had the time, so, why not?

Its not about becoming a public performer, those ships have sailed. Its more about making yourself feel good and having some fun along the way. I started out buying a clapped out Ibanez HSS Strat-like axe. Some high school kid was selling it locally, it was in rough shape, but not too expensive if it didnt work out. Its not a great instrument, but its also not bad. I spent time to learn about guitar setup, and what luthiers charge so much for, and got it playing pretty well.

Then... the hook was set. From there I bought an inexpensive but reasonably capable acoustic. A Fender CD60S. Replaced the plastic bridge and neck with Chinese cattle bone replacements. Learned about acoustic setup. Played every day because I have time and, mostly, because it is fun.

To make a longer story short, Ive somehow now got a second acoustic (Seagull S6) and 2 more electric guitars, (telecaster and a Strat) the last one I built myself, and am quite proud of how well it plays, even though it would be considered a 10 foot guitar by most purists. Its a Strat SSS clone I made from a bare wood blank on up, finished the body myself, and cobbled a bunch of Chinese parts onto. A true partscaster. Cost me all of $130 to build. But it plays great because I learned how to do guitar setup along the way.

I hope your drumming experience is as rewarding to you. Maybe someday well be feeling confident enough to jam out together. Get a NERDS band going or something? We would need some BBQ to make it great. Know anyone that does that?
Catch up to Sportsguy on this forum. He got into making electric guitars last in the last few years. He has built about 6 or 7 now. Duane Forrester on facebook - got to scroll down a ways to see some of them