Bought used.. missing stuff

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerseydevil

Reaction score
Ok folks, the last time I posted about my control issues you all nailed it with Tire Pressure.. So here's my next.. I've noticed a bunch of cubby spots under the seat.. I did receive the owners manual with the bike.. and that's about it.. any pics of what's supposed to be under there IE Tool Kits etc etc would be additional helpfull.. Thanks

Just a (minimal) tool kit. The only tool I have used from it is the spark plug socket.
People use the various spots for tire repair stuff, mini compressor, fuse blocks, controls for heated gear, SAE aux/battery tender lead, augmented tool kit etc.

RossKean speaks the truth as usual. Assemble your own tool kit based on what you think you might need on the road. The Yamaha kit has very few items and I, for one, can't think of why I would need a spark plug socket on the road. I have the Yamaha kit augmented with an LED flashlight, tire repair kit, AeroStich compressor, a Leatherman, and a crescent wrench all under the two seats.

...can't think of why I would need a spark plug socket on the road.
I haven't used it on the road but use it when working on my bike at home. The sparkplug socket in my socket set has too large an outside diameter for the narrow plug wells of the FJR motor.

There are some threads on the forum if you want to have a look at the sorts of tools people carry. I try to keep it minimal - the bike is REALLY reliable and if something bad happens (other than a flat), I always have a cell phone, credit card and AAA membership. Look here to start:
https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/tools-on-the-fjr-what-additional-ones-do-you-carry.155712/

I made some special tools for removing the fairing that I carry. I find them useful when you have a battery problem and have to access the battery. The simple allen works but takes longer. I took a trip to the Ozarks last year, from Washington and added to the tool kit a jump start battery. Didn't use it, but this winter I went on a ride with some friends and after stopping the battery seemed to be too weak to turn over the bike. I used all that I just mentioned to start the bike. Someone said once, only bring the tools you use when you work on your bike. Like: only a 10-12-14-19mm sockets, phillips, allen set is nice although maybe just the one you actually will use. I do carry a socket that will work on the spark plugs, but that's not the reason I carry it, it also works on the front axle, therefore I have an extension within it too. Those are two pieces I use in the garage at home too. One other thing, I carry more than necessary and have been able to help others.

Ok folks, the last time I posted about my control issues you all nailed it with Tire Pressure.. So here's my next.. I've noticed a bunch of cubby spots under the seat.. I did receive the owners manual with the bike.. and that's about it.. any pics of what's supposed to be under there IE Tool Kits etc etc would be additional helpfull.. Thanks
Tool kit comes in a black plastic roll, in a little compartment just behind the tank, held in place with a rubber strap. The pic shows the compartment empty, the strap released.
(Click on image for larger view)

And with the toolkit in place (ignore the thingy with a green button on, I was fitting a garage door opener when this was taken).

Kit looks like this:

The most useful part is the screwdriver, the end of the blade that looks like Philips is in fact JIS. All such screws on the FJR are to this standard. This screwdriver fits them well, it won't "torque out" as a Philips (or Posidriv) screwdriver will.

(Later FJR's toolkit comes with just one 4mm hex key and the screwdriver.)

[edited for correction]
Under the rear seat there are two rubber straps, one across the bike, one towards the back , front to back (the front end just visible to the right of centre in the pic below). The book says these are for a U-Lock, but none is supplied.
[/edited]

Last edited:
Tool kit comes in a black plastic roll, in a little compartment just behind the tank, held in place with a rubber strap, the pic shows the compartment empty, the strap released.
I was too lazy to go out and take a picture. One difference in mcatrophy's bike is the controller for the auto-clutch feature in his (European) version. (The box with wires coming out of it behind the slot for the tool roll.) This model hasn't been available in North America since 2009. That is a good spot for extra tools, mini-compressor or fuse block.

...One difference in mcatrophy's bike is the controller for the auto-clutch feature in his (European) version. ... This model hasn't been available in North America since 2009. ...
I sometimes forget how fortunate we are :D.