Brake Bleed sequence on 2014

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okeefjr, Get speed bleeders before you do this. You can get a good deal from Kirbysbrakebleeders.com. I have no skin in the game. It will make the job much easier and fast.
https://kirbysbrakebleeders.ecrater.com/p/25191387/yamaha-fjr1300-13-14-5-speed-bleeders

"You are purchasing five (5) Speed Bleeders for your Yamaha FJR1300 without ABS built from 2006-2012."

What FJR1300 after 2005 came with the option not to have ABS brakes? These bleeders don't seem to be available for bikes with ABS ?

1. Front

2. Joined (Linked)

3. Rear

May as well do the clutch while you're at it...
Don't forget you need to activate the ABS system to get it purged of the old fluid.
NOW, I read this. I just changed brake/clutch fluid on my 2014 and didn't think the ABS system would need to be activated to do this. I didn't check the FSM though.

Dan

1. Front2. Joined (Linked)3. Rear May as well do the clutch while you're at it...
Don't forget you need to activate the ABS system to get it purged of the old fluid.
NOW, I read this. I just changed brake/clutch fluid on my 2014 and didn't think the ABS system would need to be activated to do this. I didn't check the FSM though.Dan
And here I thought I was the only one.

1. Front2. Joined (Linked)3. Rear May as well do the clutch while you're at it...
NOW, I read this. I just changed brake/clutch fluid on my 2014 and didn't think the ABS system would need to be activated to do this. I didn't check the FSM though.Dan
When I read the FSM, it doesn't appear that Yamaha is requiring (or recommending) the ABS system be purged during a routine brake fluid change.

When I read the FSM, it doesn't appear that Yamaha is requiring (or recommending) the ABS system be purged during a routine brake fluid change.
Another of Yamaha's short falls.

It's a common procedure with other ABS bikes.

Even a special function on the Triumph test tool & they say a once a year, but do what you like.

Motor Guzzi have some strange English translation I'm trying to understand, but I get the gist of what they mean, a real bad manual, lol.

Yamaha don't even mention the cold idle circuit and the adjustment of it, nor the coolant pipes to the wax motor and to service them from time to time up & publish ludicrous torque values.

Er... um..... You should re-read the section on brake bleeding....... in the Periodic Maintenance section. It does say to activate the ABS and repeat the bleed process.

I did not see a specific answer to my question in post 56. If I missed it, my apologies.

After I go through the "jumper process", and then remove the jumper. Will there be some codes or CEL or something else that I will need to reset? Or will the bike return everything to normal on its own, sort of speak?

I've almost worked up enough balls to try this.

Almost.

The bike will return to normal and run just fine.

I have read the entire Gen III ABS section and it seems to be the same as the previous Gen's. When I get a chance I'll confirm this and update my ABS Testing post. I don't have the Gen III FSM handy, but the following is true (and in the ABS Testing post):

• Rotating the rear wheel when on the center stand may set Error Code 25 -- this is not an error or fault, disregard this error message. Because the front wheel was not moving while the rear wheel was turned by hand the ABS ECU thinks that the vehicle is moving but there were no pulses coming from the front wheel. The diagnostics for Code 25 specifically mentions that this will happen if the motorcycle is on the center stand and the rear wheel is rotated. (If a feller or gal were to, say, do a wheelie, not that a shaft drive bike can, it would create the same situation where the rear wheel is turning at a very different rate than the front wheel. Nobody ever sees the ERR 25 that was set.)
The post also has this block with the procedure:

• Deleting The Malfunction Codes
Error code 25, if set, will leave the ABS system ENABLED, you won't see this error code in the meter display, it only gets stored in code history. The Deleting of Malfunction Codes in Gen I and Gen II involves rapidly pushing the START button, this might possibly be different for the Gen III because the RUN/STOP button now has the START function integrated into it also. Again, when I get a chance I'll check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Er... um..... You should re-read the section on brake bleeding....... in the Periodic Maintenance section. It does say to activate the ABS and repeat the bleed process.
I did re-read the section on brake bleeding in the Periodic Maintenance section and it said the same thing it did every other time I have read it the last 7 years and the need to bleed the ABS system seems to only apply to 4 conditions (disassembly of the brake system, a brake hose loosened, disconnected or replaced; very low brake fluid level, or faulty brake operation), none of which appears (to me) to apply to a routine brake fluid change.

Right you are, I shouldn't quote from memory. I did actually follow that on my previous FJR, and condition 4 was not prevented.

Ok, I got a chance to peek at the FSM to clarify post #70. The run/stop/start switch is indeed used to reset error codes. The ABS hydraulic unit test is the same as the Gen I & Gen II.

My Gen I FSM had a separate ABS service manual. The Gen III FSM breaks up the ABS information. How the ABS works is covered in the front of the manual in the FEATURES, the hydraulic test is in with brake bleeding, starting on 4-70 and the troubleshooting starts in section 8-117.

The How-To procedure has been updated to that Gen 1 through Gen 3 is covered by the instructions.

Since there is no separate RUN/STOP switch on the gen III, the FSM did say to put the bike in gear and extend the sidestand so that when pressing the START switch to clear the code, the starter won't crank.

Ok, I got a chance to peek at the FSM to clarify post #70. The run/stop/start switch is indeed used to reset error codes. The ABS hydraulic unit test is the same as the Gen I & Gen II.
My Gen I FSM had a separate ABS service manual. The Gen III FSM breaks up the ABS information. How the ABS works is covered in the front of the manual in the FEATURES, the hydraulic test is in with brake bleeding, starting on 4-70 and the troubleshooting starts in section 8-117.

The How-To procedure has been updated to that Gen 1 through Gen 3 is covered by the instructions.

Just wanna say thanks to the general nature of this thread. It was helpful in changing brake fluid in my '14 and exercising the ABS unit. Thanks for all those that contributed.

Just wanna say thanks to the general nature of this thread. It was helpful in changing brake fluid in my '14 and exercising the ABS unit. Thanks for all those that contributed.
Google Two Wheel Obsession for great videos on almost anything you want to do to your FJR. Really great site.

Google Two Wheel Obsession for great videos on almost anything you want to do to your FJR. Really great site.
I like some of his stuff but don't necessarily agree with all of it. Decent video although the narrative can be a bit long-winded.
I look at his stuff sometimes to get an alternate perspective but am more likely to trust what I read here.

Not really, no. He takes 2 minutes of useful information and cram packs it into an hour. Plus some issues with him on the forum in the past.

I found material here on the forum in this and other threads to be more concise and helpful.

Last edited:
Hi People, i changed all the pads, bled brakes many times and actuated the abs pump on a 2015 bike but the abs is still throbing when i brake at low speed, is it possible that theres air trapped in the abs unit, i can't find any information on how to bleed the abs unit,
Thanks