Brake caliper seal interchangability question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isuace

Reaction score
Not FJR related, but hopefully one of our resident experts will be able to chime in here.

I've got a 1990 Honda PC800 that I'm going over the brakes on. The dust seals on the calipers are toast. The inner seals all look good except for one that got twisted in the seat somehow. For a set of seals for the PC800 the price looks to be about $10 per bore.

Here comes the question. I was looking at the caliper and noticed that it looked exactly like the caliper on my 1997 Honda Shadow. I looked up some part numbers in the online fiche and the pistons are the same part number. Now, they sell a seal set with both seals for the Shadow for ~$5 per bore for the Shadow. Does it stand to reason that the seals listed for the Shadow would fit the PC800 if the pistons are the same in both?

On the fiche for the PC800 it has a number on the diagram for the seal set, but it isn't listed in the parts list. On the Shadow fiche, it's only listed as the set.

Normally, I'd just suck it up and order the seals for the PC800... but this isn't my bike, I'm broke right now (and have a moto trip to Canadia planned in 2 weeks), and I don't know if I'll ever get reimbursed for the seals.

To reiterate my question: Does it stand to reason that the seals listed for the Shadow would fit the PC800 if the pistons are the same in both?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the seal has to mate with the piston and the bore. So, if the caliper itself is exactly the same on both models and the piston, as you say, is the same, then it should work. If the caliper is different then the seal may be different.

Upon further searching I found a site called cyclebrakes.com that sells caliper rebuild kits. The rebuild kit for the PC800 and the Shadow have the same part number, so I will assume that the seals are the same.

Latest posts