Brake job. Ebc or factory?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KhromalusionaL

Reaction score
I have heard that Ebc pads will eat up factory rotors. Any truth to that? Is it worth spending big bucks for factory? Any tips on changing out the front and rear pads?

I do not get a lot of brake dust with OEM. I'm replacing brakes next week with OEM again. Don't know if EBC do or not.

The ONLY complaint you will hear about OEM brake pads is how much they lighten your wallet. Especially for you Gen II bastards who have twice as many as the Gen I.

When it comes to aftermarket pads, there are many complaints around here. The choice is simple for me.

1345693132[/url]' post='993469']
1345682261[/url]' post='993416']I have heard that Ebc pads will eat up factory rotors. Any truth to that?...
From what I have read, this is pretty much true over the years. OEM Brake Pads last about 30-35k miles... seems like a good deal to me.
Yes, EBC pads tend to eat any factory rotor. The after market pads tend to be softer but put more heat into the rotors equaling more friction and more stopping power. But the price is more rotor wear and with EBC it seems to be more than others. If you were changing rotors also then you want to match the rotor with the same company's brake pads.

For the street very few people can ride hard enough to get the full advantage of after market pads. I would stay stock. You'll get more miles out of them and less wear and tear on your rotors.

Any EBC brake pads I have run turn to vapor very fast! They are also very dirty in brake dust. I have never seen a issue with rotors on the EBC pads I have run. But with the mileage OEM gives I bought OEM over aftermarket for my in stock parts box.

1345693132[/url]' post='993469']
1345682261[/url]' post='993416']I have heard that Ebc pads will eat up factory rotors. Any truth to that?...
From what I have read, this is pretty much true over the years. OEM Brake Pads last about 30-35k miles... seems like a good deal to me.
Yes, EBC pads tend to eat any factory rotor. The after market pads tend to be softer but put more heat into the rotors equaling more friction and more stopping power. But the price is more rotor wear and with EBC it seems to be more than others. If you were changing rotors also then you want to match the rotor with the same company's brake pads.

For the street very few people can ride hard enough to get the full advantage of after market pads. I would stay stock. You'll get more miles out of them and less wear and tear on your rotors.
EBC pads tend to eat any cheap factory rotor. I had the EBC on my Honda Interceptor and they never heat the rotors. The only reason I will stick with OEM is because they last longer.

I have never had EBC pads eat my rotors, but my rotors have sure eaten EBCs and belched out clouds of black dust during the process. I recently measured my rotor thickness and they are still like new even after a couple of sets of EBC pads. OEM is the way to go. I have seen Carbone Lorraine pads eat rotors.

My '09 has ~52K miles and I've not changed pads yet - and yes, I look at them regularly including just now. I guess the fact that this bike is only used for LD means less stress on the braking system.

I priced OEM pads and cheapest after a "quick" look was ~$41 (X 4!) for the front, and $24 for the rear - that's $200+ to replace all! Maybe I need to start putting some of these on the shelf when I get a little extra in the parts budget.

Any of the other parts should be changed at the same time??

I think staying OEM is the way to go for me. I've got lots of farkles, but when it comes to the engine/running gear/wheels/brakes, OEM is best IMO for reliability.

Ouch, I thought OEM brakes didn't last that long. I had new tires put on 18,000 miles ago, and thought I would need the brakes replaced when I put new tires on next week. I wonder if I could save some money by not having to replace brakes.

...I had new tires put on 18,000 miles ago...I could save some money by not having to replace brakes.
You got 18,000 miles from a set of tires? :blink: What were they and how did you do that? Say, you aren't one of those darksiders are you? ;)

Letsee, I go through 2-3 sets of EBC pads for every one set of OEM without any discernible improvement in braking with the EBC pads -- my calculator tells me that the OEM pads offer a better value than aftermarket even though the OEMs cost more at the time of purchase. The 'beams carry a lot of inertia once moving so as a result we kill brake pads much faster than most single-up riders. I never remember to order OEM pads until I'm down to the backing plates so I have been using EBC pads because I can pick them up locally.

I have never had EBC pads eat my rotors, but my rotors have sure eaten EBCs and belched out clouds of black dust during the process. I recently measured my rotor thickness and they are still like new even after a couple of sets of EBC pads. OEM is the way to go. I have seen Carbone Lorraine pads eat rotors.

It depends on which compound EBC you get, some are very harsh on rotors, some are not. But they all go away very fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on which compound EBC you get, some are very harsh on rotors, some are not. But they all go away very fast.
EBC HH Sintered. All dust, no last, no damage, no performance advantage.

...I had new tires put on 18,000 miles ago...I could save some money by not having to replace brakes.
You got 18,000 miles from a set of tires? :blink: What were they and how did you do that? Say, you aren't one of those darksiders are you? ;)

Letsee, I go through 2-3 sets of EBC pads for every one set of OEM without any discernible improvement in braking with the EBC pads -- my calculator tells me that the OEM pads offer a better value than aftermarket even though the OEMs cost more at the time of purchase. The 'beams carry a lot of inertia once moving so as a result we kill brake pads much faster than most single-up riders. I never remember to order OEM pads until I'm down to the backing plates so I have been using EBC pads because I can pick them up locally.

PR2's, I must ride like a pussy. I plan on replacing the tires and brakes next week. I'll take a picture of them before I change them. I would leave the on, but I'm taking a trip 2-up to Michigan and thought it would be best to have new tires for the trip especially 2-up. I'm not BS'n on the number of miles either. Put them on in July 23rd, 2010.

I vote OEM, having said that I have only had EBC brakes on four wheeled vehicles but was very under impressed. <_<

I'm sold on OEM pads after reading this same thread every couple months. I'd be surprised if I didn't get 70k out of my current set. But then my riding isn't necessarily typical. You got 18k out of a PR2 rear. Hmmmm. Impressive even for just slab