Brake Pad Pins - Front Caliper Gen II & III

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaYzerman19

Go Wings!
Reaction score
This applies to Gen II & III only, as Gen 1 has a different brake pad pin with cotter pins........... There was some discussion a while ago about rounding out the 5mm hex in the brake pad pins when it is seized in the caliper. I suspect one cause could be the galvanic corrosion that occurs between the stainless pin and the aluminum caliper. One fix is to buy a new pin but they are quite expensive (~$30) and oh by the way don't break or lose the metal spring for the pads (~$27). Or, you could find a used caliper on ebay. Or, you can use a different pin that costs a lot less........ the difficulty is finding a pin long enough, but I have found a Honda pin that will fit the bill (~70mm). This pin has a hex head which will take an 8mm hex socket, much more robust than the 5mm internal hex. Honda Part No. 43215-KZ4-J41 is in the top part of the photo, with the OEM Yamaha pin below for comparison. Note extra thread length, etc. but the important part is the length to capture the brake pad. You don't have to have the O-ring if you lose one, it only serves as a guide as you insert the pin. See also the photo of both installed in an FJR front caliper.

The Honda pin costs ~$3.40, application is rear brake caliper of '08 CBR1000 and CRF450, perhaps other models. If you prefer a 5mm hex, perhaps try 45215-MAJ-G41, also 70 mm, but I have not verified this with a part in my hand.

P1020732%20Medium_zps4hu3yriw.jpg

P1020730%20Medium_zpsiq1esak6.jpg

Really good find. I don't have a problem (at the moment) but if I do, I know where to come.

Thank you for putting the effort in, much appreciated............

Driven by the fact I have a bad one myself, which I will have fun getting out. Got a buddy with a bad one too...... it's not that the threads get seized, it's the tapered seat just below the threads that sticks in the caliper. Impact driver a must, sometimes. I'm thinking these are so cheap, may just swap them all out.

Dave (Mr WynPro), I'm shocked that with all the polished pieces you sent me as pair covers, that your calipers are dirty
haha.gif
...... btw, I'll need another set soon.. But the caliper in the picture was an ebay find for C$25 that I couldn't pass up, and the seller obviously spent some time shining it up. Mine are kinda blackish looking for some reason........

Last edited by a moderator:
Great find! I had to replace one on my front caliper last season. It came in closer to $46 CAD. I had good luck with a Snap On extractor that I borrowed from a friend. Just had to tap it in securely and turn.

Great find! I had to replace one on my front caliper last season. It came in closer to $46 CAD. I had good luck with a Snap On extractor that I borrowed from a friend. Just had to tap it in securely and turn.
I sometimes think the 'tapping' does more good than the 'torquing'................

I wish the pictures were still available here. I'm starting to think about replacing front brake pads and I'm trying to visualize the issue.