BrakeFree: The Smart Brake Light for Motorcyclists

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I need the extra weight hanging off my helmet. They have the same concept on some of the new helmets coming out which are blue tooth, although smaller in foot print.

Thanks but no thanks, not for me.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting concept and looks pretty well thought out. While 6 ounces doesn't sound like a lot attaching all of it to the back of your helmet like that though could make the helmet feel heavy with a weight bias to the back. I'd want to try on a helmet with one mounted before committing to purchase. Perhaps we'll see manufacturers incorporate something like this right into the helmet itself which might be an even better approach.

Thanks for sharing anyway!

I would be all about it. But I'd be afraid the magnets would wreak havok on my very expensive comm system.

Pass. I don't need something else that needs to be charged at the end of the day. Lights on the bike itself do the job, don't need charging and eventual battery replacement, and they don't add extra weight on the helmet. Something similar that attaches to the bike and runs on 12V power might be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pass. I don't need something else that needs to be charged at the end of the day. Lights on the bike itself do the job, don't need charging and eventual battery replacement, and they don't add extra weight on the helmet. Something similar that attaches to the bike and runs on 12V power might be interesting.
https://vololights.com/collections/all

Vololights-Black-Brakeless-Deceleration-Indicator_1024x1024.jpg

I really don't feel strongly attracted to passive deceleration lights or flashes. But I am a little surprised that some sort of rear helmet light isn't a requirement or at least commonly offered. I ride a lot in the dark, and the few riders I've encountered that had helment or pack mounted flashing LED's drew my attention a mile away, in traffic.

I often think about having one of those flashing bicycle lights on a motorcycle when I come up behind a bike using one at night. They last for a long time with a couple of cheap AAs. I've wondered if there's any kind of legality issue with them, but it would be easy enough to find out. Like the gadget the OP wrote about, it's right up at eye level, like those high-mounted brake/tail lights they started putting onto all new cars a few years back. And I'm sure most of us already have one or more.

Thinking I'm going to see if one I have will clip right onto the collar of one of my riding jackets. If it does, it's going into my tank bag.