Brand New 08 FJR With Low RPM Surging

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Subcritical

Reaction score
Hello,

I just purchased an 08 FJR last Friday. It now has 300 miles on it. Because I am new to the FJR, and this is my first Yamaha in 20 years, I wanted to find out if what I'm experiencing is normal to the FJR. I tried searching these forums for a similar problem, but the Search didn't turn anything of relevance.

Anyway, a description of what I'm experiencing is thusly:

When I first got the bike, and even this morning, the bike ran smooth as silk at any RPM's. When I rode home this afternoon, at low RPM's (2000-4000rpm at constant throttle), the bike has minor "surging". It kind of reminds me of a bike that uses a petcock(sp?) valve. You know when to switch to reserve because the bike starts to hesitate and surge.

Also, if you stand next to the bike at idle and hold the throttle at a constant rpm (under 4000rpm), the engine note doesn't sound smooth and constant, but rather like it skips a little bit.

It most definately didn't do this prior to this afternoon.

I brought the bike to the dealer today, and of course he told me that it was just normal engine harmonics. For some reason I don't believe him and would rather be told the same thing from someone here. Or that there is a throttle body problem or something.

Please help.

Thanks!!

Don't know about the other folks here, bur I say RELAX bro. I have an 08A as well and ther are some minor quirks at first. Don't do shit between now and 1000 miles except enjoy the bike and change the oil. Ride the fuck out of it, buy the Y.E.S warranty, and don't be so uptight. Just my .02 of course.

Also, if you stand next to the bike at idle and hold the throttle at a constant rpm (under 4000rpm), the engine note doesn't sound smooth and constant, but rather like it skips a little bit.

Sounds like Throttle bodies are out of sync. I too have an 08 had a similar problem around 1k, did the bodies and now it's smooth as glass....

Don't know about the other folks here, bur I say RELAX bro. I have an 08A as well and ther are some minor quirks at first. Don't do shit between now and 1000 miles except enjoy the bike and change the oil. Ride the fuck out of it, buy the Y.E.S warranty, and don't be so uptight. Just my .02 of course.
If I didn't just spend $12,800, I wouldn't care. But I did, and I do.

Thanks for the advice, though.

Sounds like Throttle bodies are out of sync. I too have an 08 had a similar problem around 1k, did the bodies and now it's smooth as glass....
That is what I think too. I've never done this. Did you do it yourself, or did your dealer do it for you?

Money is truly the root of all evil. Smoke a joint and the idle will level out fine. Trust me.

Money is truly the root of all evil. Smoke a joint and the idle will level out fine. Trust me.
OMG!!! I thaik that is the best advice I've ever seen on this forum! :clapping:

At 600 miles, the service calls for a TBS (throttle body sync). There are some good threads on how to do it if you use the search. Just go to google and type in "throttle body synch site:fjrforum.com"

It is a very easy procedure, but you need carb tuner. You can also search for that the same way. I'd say do it yourself, along with the final drive (which is cake) and the oil change (also cake). Learn to do this stuff yourself, if you run into any questions, just search. If you can't find it, post up and the community will help you.

If the 600 mile service doesn't help, then I'd be concerned, but the bike is new, and has to go through breakin first.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is what I think too. I've never done this. Did you do it yourself, or did your dealer do it for you?
I did it myself with the help of one of my friends. Very easy to do with the proper equipment!

At 600 miles, the service calls for a TBS (throttle body sync). There are some good threads on how to do it if you use the search. Just go to google and type in "throttle body synch site:fjrforum.com"

It is a very easy procedure, but you need carb tuner. You can also search for that the same way. I'd say do it yourself, along with the final drive (which is cake) and the oil change (also cake). Learn to do this stuff yourself, if you run into any questions, just search. If you can't find it, post up and the community will help you.

If the 600 mile service doesn't help, then I'd be concerned, but the bike is new, and has to go through breakin first.
I just ordered a Morgan Carbtune. When that comes in I'll sync them up. Thanks!

I'm sorely disappointed at my dealer if it is indeed this adjustment. If this is the cure, I'm going to write the owner of the dealership a letter letting him know of my disappontment. Clearly this is a common and "normal" issue with this bike (I just got done reading quite a few comments on the same issue), and the dealership should of told me so. Instead they were just too lazy to care. After buying a Shadow AERO, CBR 954rr, Honda Rancher ATV, and this FJR, it is highly unlikely I'll ever do business with them again.

After someone spends just spent + $12,000, plus all the other bikes I've bought, I would of thought they would of been a little more attentive.

I just ordered a Morgan Carbtune. When that comes in I'll sync them up. Thanks!

I'm sorely disappointed at my dealer if it is indeed this adjustment. If this is the cure, I'm going to write the owner of the dealership a letter letting him know of my disappontment. Clearly this is a common and "normal" issue with this bike (I just got done reading quite a few comments on the same issue), and the dealership should of told me so. Instead they were just too lazy to care. After buying a Shadow AERO, CBR 954rr, Honda Rancher ATV, and this FJR, it is highly unlikely I'll ever do business with them again.

After someone spends just spent + $12,000, plus all the other bikes I've bought, I would of thought they would of been a little more attentive.
I also have an 08 for about three months and it's my second. 5300 miles now . had an 04 prior with no problems whatsoever thru 45k miles. The 08 had a number of problems straight up. One was the idle at 950 vs what should of been 1100. Once corrected my stalling or cutting out was eliminated. there's other issues I worked out with answers from this forum.

Mine surged a little bit till the 600 mile service.

Once that is done, I recommend the Barbarian mod. That setttled some other quirks I was having with the bike like stalling for no apparent reason.

Search on Barbarian mod. Somone on here did a bang up jof documenting the procedures in Adobe.

When you take it in for the 600 be sure to tell the service manager.

I recommend NOT doing the Barbarian Jumper Mod.

No, that surging is not normal. Whether it's a throttle body sync, lean fuel injection, or something else entirely, it's not right. Do a TBS, check the idle speed, give the bike a chance to break in. If still not right, come on back and let us know.

I recommend NOT doing the Barbarian Jumper Mod.
No, that surging is not normal. Whether it's a throttle body sync, lean fuel injection, or something else entirely, it's not right. Do a TBS, check the idle speed, give the bike a chance to break in. If still not right, come on back and let us know.
As soon as my Carbtune comes in, I'll check it out.

Idle speed is a hair over the 1000rpm mark, so that looks fine.

I'll check out a couple of tutorials that some good folks here have posted on the adjustment. Looks very simple to do.

Thanks again to all that have helped. :)

Similar problem here. Especially when idling, the engine surges, maybe about 100-150 rpm in either direction. I had my dealer perform my 600 mile service, but he told me that the uneven idle was normal and a characteristic of the engine. They didn't do the TB synch.

I have a Morgan Carbtune on order, and I'll be doing the TB synch myself when it arrives. Let us know if your TB synch fixes the problem.

It's amazing to me how unhelpful and unknowledgeable a Yamaha dealer service department can be.

I finally got around to adjusting the throttle sync last Thursday prior to the long weekend. Bike is buttery smooth now. A couple of the cylinders were out of spec, but nothing too serious. To nit-pick, there is still a little very minor surging at 3500rpm's and is especially noticable when that engine speed is engaged in third gear. Nothing major, though....

Since posting this thread, I've come to really appreciate the FJR as I become more familiar with its characteristics.

Took it on a fairly long trip this weekend and I must say, the Throttlemeister is the best mod I've ever done on any bike. What a joy it was to cruise with that thing! It really makes a huge improvement in long distance trips.

I bought mine used with 1,300 miles on the clock. It had the 600 mile service, but there was noticeable surging at steady throttle openings, very apparent at 35 miles per hour in third, say, and even noticeable at 60-65. A throttle-body sync eliminated any and all surging. That's my bet.