Broke the right mirror tab

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppants

Reaction score
Well, I pulled a dumb ass this morning. While backing out my bike, I clipped the right mirror with my boat shed post. I've done that before as the gap is tight between my boat and the post, but this time I was moving a little faster and I hit the mirror more squarely. Pulled panels A-D and confirmed the worst.....

I broke the mirror tab on the front stay.

SHIT!!!!!

Damm it I'm pissed!!!!!

I've got a friend that I believe can weld it. I guess I'll try that before replacing the stay, anyway.

I'm just hoping I can pull off all of the plastics, and cover everything up, and have him weld the tab in place while the front stay is still on the bike. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to pull the stay off.

Oh well .... can't undo it at this point.

Did I mention that I was really torqued about this?

(sigh)

There are several threads about fixing that without welding. If you really want to weld it, you may want to remove the entire stay before welding it. At the least, make sure that you disconnect all of the ground wires that go to the frame.

Very good point about the wiring and ground wires. Guess I'll take the whole shit apart.

UGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

if you weld it in place, even if you disconnect all wiring, make sure the ground is as close to the arc as possible; you don't want current going through any bearings. You'll probably be able to get a better quality weld by removing the stay so you have access to both sides.

I took another close look at it. I've got to pull the nose piece off for sure. By the time I get there, it's not a really big deal to remove the headlight and the gage cluster. Then I'm only 2 minutes from removing the entire front stay. So I guess I'll do it that way. No point in fixing something and breaking something else. I've already done this job from when I crashed 3 years ago. I've got my notes from that job to fall back on.

I looked over the Gen III repair threads and I gotta say, Yamaha didn't address this issue very well.

Not a big deal to fix. I pulled my front clip off, disconnected the battery, wrapped wet towels all around the area we were welding and fixed the problem. Also added a small gusset to help prevent a re-occurrence (running Solteks was the reason they broke) and fix has lasted just fine.

Sorry, pic is a bit out of focus, but you get the idea.

FJRMirrorMount002.jpg

Cajw - the gusset is a good idea. Thanks. Did you put a gusset on both sides? Guess I'll start chewing on it this afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cajw - the gusset is a good idea. Thanks. Did you put a gusset on both sides? Guess I'll start chewing on it this afternoon.
If you mean left and right, yes, one on both sides. As per the pic, only gusset the inside as IIRC, putting a gusset on the outside would prevent you from easily reaching the mirror studs which would greatly complicate getting the nuts on/off.

That's what I thought, as will be my plan for the same reason. Took everything apart yesterday and brought the stay to my friend. He says he will get to it next week. I'm hoping he can save me $300.00, but more importantly, I'm hoping he can weld the gussets to give it more strenght and keep it from happening again.

Weather's supposed to be crappy next week anyway.

image_zps08e937b3.jpg

image_zpscc85611b.jpg

Ya know, if you haven't replaced your dash lights with LEDs yet this might be the right time to give it a thought. Hopefully this will be the last time you are into the nose so intensely. It may be a good time to give the windshield drive a good cleaning too.

I see the glove box out on the bench, ain't that thing a PITA to get out!

I've got a big folding table that I use just like you have to lay out my parts and tools, works well for me.

Edit: I was just looking at the pictures again and now I have a question. Where is your snow blower? ;) Almost all the garage pictures have a snow blower or plow blade someplace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: I was just looking at the pictures again and now I have a question. Where is your snow blower?
wink.png
Almost all the garage pictures have a snow blower or plow blade someplace.
Perfesser...I kinda doubt a snow blower or plow blade is de rigueur in Louisiana...

But I could be wrong. I have been known to be so in the past. :)

Picked up my front stay yesterday from my buddy. He welded a gusset on each side and the weld looks very good. He told me that he verified penetration on each weld with his machine at work (not sure what that means). Only charged me $50.00, which I thought was fair. The alignment on the mirror tab looks good. He was able to tack/weld it back in the exact crack that was formed when it broke. Of course, as is the case with all welding, the material can draw one way or the other when it is heated. I'll just have to see how it lines up when I install the mirrors.

Planning to start putting the bike back together this afternoon.

Got the nose and windscreen back on the bike. Mirrors lined up like a glove. I'm really happy with the result. Just need to put the battery back in and button up everything.

$50 bucks, you got a deal. Buy that man a beer. Sounds like he also X-rayed the welds too. Better make the a six pack. Not only that he had to make the gussets. Make that a case.

I better shut-up,

Dave