Broken Fjr - Repair Or Replace

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clsonfjr

Reaction score
After many years without my own bike I defied everybody I knew last July (2004) and bought a 2004 FJR. Almost 30,000 km later, I got T-boned by a half-ton that came roaring out of a car wash parking lot. His front-left bumper hit my left saddle-bag and, although I can't picture how, both sides of the bike show significant damage. I was thrown clear and although I'm pretty banged up I only spent 1 day in the hospital. The same cannot be said for my gear - the left side of my helmet (full-face) is scraped nearly through the shell, and the front and shoulder of my Joe Rocket jacket is shredded. A traffic cop witnessed the whole thing, and the other driver is 100% at fault.

My question to you (Warchild especially) is this: This bike wasn't just a machine to me, and I'm not ready to part with it yet The repair estimate is only $700 less than the price of a 2005 FJR that my dealer has sitting on the floor, but it's about $1500 more than the blue book value of my bike. One minute I'm ready to take the financial hit and go for the new bike, the next I'm thinking "why can't I turn this into a winter "project bike". Most of the identified repairs are bolt-ons (new plastic, new levers, etc). The only engine repairs are a new crankcase cover and oil filter. The estimate included a new frame, but all that happened is the bracket coming off the front of the headset that holds the front fairing on was ripped off - I'm sure I could find a machine shop that could repair that. Both front forks, and the front wheel are listed as needing replacement, but again this seems like bolt-on work. I'm not a licensed mechanic, but I've been servicing my own vehicles since 1970 and I generally trust my repairs more than the ones I pay for. I've read several stories about project bikes, and I truly believe I could get my baby back on the road. I have also read several threads on this board recently where the overwhelming reaction to somebody getting hit was "get a new bike".

Is there some way I can determine now that the bike won't be ride-able or safe when I'm done? Is the whole "project bike" idea nothing more than a dangerous pipe dream? Will a blue FJR ever "really" replace my Silver/Blue girlfriend (and I mean girlfriend - riding it was like having a day-long orgasm)? I spent $600 on the 25K service, and $500 to have new Avon 45/46 tires installed just over a week before the accident; if I opt for a new bike, do I have any legal way to try and get this money from the insurance claim. Can I claim for new safety gear? Alberta law limits insurance claims for "soft tissue damage" to $4000; knowing this, is there any real point in retaining a lawyer (see "doesn't play well..." below to see how this relationship is likely to work out)? I had daily demonstrations that Silver/Blue motorcycles are invisible; is dark blue a "safer" color?

By the way, "doesn't play well with others" describes me perfectly. I've been skulking around this forum (and the "other" one) for a year now, and never saw a reason to post; I don't think I'll ever be anything besides an FNG. Every conversation I've had with the insurance companies (mine and his) has done nothing but pi** me off; same with my dealings with the bike shop. I realize that my insurance $$ questions are probably unanswerable, since I live in Alberta (Canada) and our laws are nothing like those in the states, but I wanted to throw them into cyberspace anyway.

Know what I would do?

Not sure how Canadian laws would affect all this, but take the insurance money, and buy a used fjr.

The above however, is assuming you can buy your totaled fjr from the insurance company for cheap. Then you have all the time in the world to find cheap parts, and lovingly put it back together, for WAAAAY less than what the shop would charge.

After that, you either have two fjrs to use, or sell one.

I would be concerned about the front sub-frame mounting point on the main frame, but other than that, no problemo from what you describe.

To hell with the "get a new bike" crowd. I wrecked mine, rode it 1500 miles home. All the important parts were ok, but front and rear subframes had to be replaced, as well as a lot of other ancillary pieces to the tune of $5200.

Now that its repaired, good as new as far as I am concerned.

Helleva first post.....

With regard to the repair, a lot hinges on the condition of the frame. If it's tweaked - even a little - then this is bad news. It's very difficult to determined if it's tweaked just by eyeballing the situation. Can you ride the bike at all to try to determione an obvious frame issue?

Is there some way I can determine now that the bike won't be ride-able or safe when I'm done?
A Computrank examination (https://www.gmdcomputrack.com/) is about the only way I would want to be convinced the frame isn't tweaked. If the frame is good-to-go, then it sorta sounds like if could be a good project bike, based on your description..

In my case, I was able to thoroughly examine and test-ride my deer-strike project bike sufficiently enough to make a determination to go forward with the work. If you can't do the same (test-ride it , even with its current trashed condition), then it could be risky business. Or, it could be just fine. Use caution before making any deal with the insurance company.

Hope this helps.... good luck, keep us posted.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I to dropped my ride. The estimate was $8800. The insurance co totaled the bike, and offered to sell me the bike for $2000. I to road the bike home after the crash, around 250 miles. It road strait, and everything worked okay. I did buy another 04, and road it till I fix the crasher. I did it before they offered me the bike for 2 grand. So I rode the new one for a few months till the crasher was fixed.

After the crashed bike was ready for the road, I sold bike # 2 and made $600. on it. I went to 2 different dealers with my parts list. I told both I would give them 15% over there cost and order all the parts from them. The first one asked me to leave, the second one said 15% of something is better then 15% of nothing. After the bike was put back together I had a very nice 04, and I had a grand total of $3350. in it. There are a few parts on the estimate I did not replace, I painted the tank and bags..That right there saved almost $1600. had a small scratch on the rear rack ect...If you look at my bike, you would never know...Good luck smitty ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I to dropped my ride. The estimate was $8800. The insurance co totaled the bike, and offered to sell me the bike for $2000. I to road the bike home after the crash, around 250 miles. It road strait, and everything worked okay. I did buy another 04, and road it till I fix the crasher. I did it before they offered me the bike for 2 grand. So I rode the new one for a few months till the crasher was fixed.
After the crashed bike was ready for the road, I sold bike # 2 and made $600. on it. I went to 2 different dealers with my parts list. I told both I would give them 15% over there cost and order all the parts from them. The first one asked me to leave, the second one said 15% of something is better then 15% of nothing. After the bike was put back together I had a very nice 04, and I had a grand total of $3350. in it. There are a few parts on the estimate I did not replace, I painted the tank and bags..That right there saved almost $1600. had a small scratch on the rear rack ect...If you look at my bike, you would never know...Good luck smitty ;)
Does it now have a Salvage Title? This effects resale.

ClsonFJR, is that ever a hell of a first post! As another Canuck (and a 2004 owner) I feel your pain. I would not advise you to proceed if you have ANY concerns about frame integrity. Given the extent of both bike and safety gear damages, it sounds like there was a lot of energy transfer here, and it would be unlikely that those massive aluminum members were not affected in some way. My concern would be that you get it all back together and then discover a frame problem, swing arm problem, transmission problem etc., then you will be on your own with an unrideable bike with way too much money invested in it.

Your season is about done anyway, and the 2006's are going to formally launched in a couple of weeks. I would sit tight and see what kind of a deal you can work on one of those for early Spring delivery. If you're ever in SK, give me a call - I'm in Regina.

Does it now have a Salvage Title? This effects resale.
Yes, it does have a salvage title.. And it will have a lower resale value. But on the up side, I have a great bike that is near prefect shape for $3350. And with the insurance money I had left over I bought a GPS, V-1 radar detector, a new Dell I am using as I type...And the list goes on..... IMO after a bike is 4-5 years old they are not worth jack_hit anyway...

I did keep all records, parts bought, and pic's of the damage in case I do sell. Just to show the new owner that the stealer go crazy when they do a estimate. I personaly think most stealer try to get into the 70-75% damage. That way they can make a haul in the parts dept. I hope I am wrong.

For now, I will just ride the crap out of it. I did ask State Farm...What happens if I would have another crash...They told me, it would not effect the value. They would payoff just like before. They also told me they get salvage titles back everyday. Here in Missouri, you have to have the highway patrol inspect. It has to be repair like new.. Also my title now says prior salvage on it...Ride Safe ;)

Well done Smitty! While mine wasn't totaled by the insurance company, I kinda wish it would have been so I could have done just what you did. Of course, I am crazy and would have kept two FJRs - one set-up for Long Distance touring, and one for my everyday fjr.

With how my situation played out, I wish I would have repaired it myself, as I could have done it for a fraction of the cost.

BTW, got your phone message and thanks for the update.

Excellent advice in this thread.

In the end, I think the choice is between having a new bike immediately to go ride vs. spending a lot of time tinkering and fixing up the old one. You're probably going to save some money getting an insurance settlement and fixing the old one, but I doubt it will be huge.

IOW, if you enjoy wrenching and fixing, go for fixing the old bike. If you just want to ride again, get a new one or another used one.

- Mark

Smitty does have an immaculate bike. He is talented with the tools and has a nice work shop. I would be better off spending my time working at McDonalds to get the money to pay to have it fixed vs. do it myself.

Thanks for the replies. :rolleyes:

I don't know how to "quote" other posts, but I'd like to respond to (or clarify) several points brought up.

Re: test ride the bike before deciding to fix it. Can't. The bracket that holds up the front of the fairing (headlight assembly, etc) is broken completely off the frame, and the whole assembly is pushed into the right fork. I would need to remove all the front plastic (not sure how I would suspend the battery or guages if I did). On top of that, both forks are listed as damaged; pretty good chance the bike wouldn't handle properly, even if the frame is fine. And lastly, the oil filter is mangled, and I think the radiator reservoir may have cracked - I would need to start the repairs before I could assess whether or not to make the repairs.

Re: buy a used FJR. No such thing in my neck of the woods (at least not that I could find)

Re: lots of energy transfer. You bet - when I saw him bearing down on me I cranked the throttle, but was way to low in the power band to accelerate the way I wanted. The other guy never even took his foot off the gas until he heard the crunch. I'm not sure how you get 600 pounds of metal and plastic to bounce, but he hit me on the left, and all the plastic on the right is smashed, but the bike ended up on it's left side, and all the sliding happened on that side.

Re: Paid for the service, therefore not interested in wrenching. I have no way to take the weight off the back end of the bike without using the center stand. Since you need to remove that before you can service the swing-arm pivots, I elected to have the shop do that. I also don't have the tools for the TBS, so the shop did that. I can't install tires myself, and I don't have a bearing press - I inspected the bearings and I thought they needed to be replaced, so it seamed a no-brainer to get the shop to do tires and bearings at the same time. I am SLOW, and I've been know to mess up the odd repair, but I LOVE working on my bikes (wrenching/foreplay - riding/orgasm).

Re: Return safety gear to manufacturer. The insurance company wanted my helmet, and it looks like I'm on my own to replace the rest of the gear - I may be replacing it a piece at a time. I will replace from same manufacturers.

Re: Get a new one. This is probably my only real option, and I think I've know it all along. My wife freaked out when I bought the bike, but she gradually calmed down (even started demanding that I take her for rides). There is no way she will ever believe I can rebuild the bike so that it is safe (she doesn't think ANYBODY could bring it back fully), so if I want to keep riding and keep peace in the house I need to get a different bike. Oh well, I've heard that even though Silver is faster than Blue, the chicks like navy better. :agent:

Re: It'll only cost $700 to move to a new bike. Silly, silly man. :haha: In Canada, we have the Gouge and Screw Tax :angry: , which will add about $1200 to the price. There are also several "environment taxes" :bigeyes: and "mystery dealer fees" :ph34r: that show up on the invoice but not on the sticker. I figure buying new will cost me nearly $2500 (as much as $6k if I wait for a 2006), assuming the insurance company gives me full blue-book value.

Bottom line. I'm thinking of taking in WFO 2006 - looks like I'll be doing it on a bike that matches my beautiful blue eyes. Does this mean I'll have to get boots to match? :D

Well having just bought a salvage bike off ebay, I can tell you parts are not that easy to find used...but the deal from University Motors (15% over cost) plus our strong canadian dollar make it quite a good deal to fix up. I will have mine as good as new for $7000 and it has less than 250 miles on it. In perspective, Blackfoot Motorsports in Calgary has a 2003 with 20,000 km on it for $13,500. On the other hand mine was all cosmetic damage and is a great driver right from insurance, frame damage is another thing. In Saskatchewan, Canada where i live, adjusters take no chances and write off practically all motorcycles involved in a moving accident...esp. when dealing with aluminum framed bikes.

Some perverse part of my personality would like to take a crashed FJR and turn it into a chopper. This assumes one would also have a "normal" FJR for real riding, of course. Now, where're those chrome wheels??

Pepperell

Some perverse part of my personality would like to take a crashed FJR and turn it into a chopper. This assumes one would also have a "normal" FJR for real riding, of course. Now, where're those chrome wheels??
Pepperell
step away from the tv, turn off discovery and the learning channels.... lol...

The end of this story is that my new favorite color is Blue. I picked up my non-ABS '05 FJR this morning. Having ridden both Silver and Blue now, I can categorically state that Blue is faster. :D

The dealer where I got my '04 still had this one in a box, and had it advertised for $1K less than I paid for the '04 (and it was well below list). The insurance company dragged their heels, but the final settlement was very fair (I essentially got 1.5 seasons and 30,000 km of fun out of the '04 for free - with a new jacket thrown in for good measure).

It hurt (a lot) to walk away from the '04, but the new bike is SO MUCH like it, it almost doesn't feel like a different bike. This bike handles more like the '04 than the '04 did when I switched it from Metzlers to Avons. Different color, same spirit!

I thought about waiting for an '06, but the price difference was over $4K (over $6K for the AE). I don't hate ABS, but in nearly 40 years of close calls I've never needed them, so I can't justify the cost and weight they add. Maybe if our summer had been a REAL summer I might have opted for the better air flow, but most of my riding was done in cold, wet conditions where engine heat was a blessing. And the rest of the changes on the '06 do nothing for me, so I didn't need to think about it for very long.

I would still like to have a project bike, but there were too many unknowns with my old bike. I'm leaning toward trying to find a 4-stroke dirt bike and converting it for adventure-touring.

One final observation. I've never liked being in traffic on a bike (can't say I'm a big fan even in a cage), and I KNOW I was more vigilant than usual while in the city today - but DAMN, this thing is fun. I don't know a single person that understands why I wanted another bike (didn't your near-death experience scare some sense into you?) - apparently I'm living proof that ignorance is bliss. :)