Brother's done riding, need FMV for his bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torch

Reaction score
Sometimes life throws an unexpected curve. My brother has been diagnosed with an aggressive cancer. Stage 4. Already spread into his brain. He needs to sort out his affairs in the time remaining.

He has offered me his 2006 FJR, 45,000kms (28,000mi). Very clean, new PR5 meats with about 500km on them. 42,000 km service done by me a couple of weeks ago prior to what we now know was our last ride. Otherwise bone stock and un-farkled. Location is Southern Ontario.

The price he mentioned seems a bit low to me, but I haven't been shopping. My Dutch blood loves a bargain, but I want to be fair to him. I'm seeking advice on fair market value from anyone with recent experience in this market.

His is the blue one:

PXL_20220520_184827331.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear about your brother...

I suspect he isn't trying to get everything possible for the bike (especially to his brother) but a fair price is appropriate for the sake of his immediate family. Just for fun, I had a look at Ontario Kijiji:
https://www.kijiji.ca/b-ontario/fjr/k0l9004?rb=true&dc=true
Asking prices for Gen II are all over the map and some are as much (or more) as I paid for a very well-farkled 2011 three years ago (I got an exceptional deal)! Still, these are asking prices and may have nothing to do with reality. (Could be that all the reasonably priced ones have already sold.) Hard to say what bikes are actually selling for in your market. If I had to make a guess, I would say something between $4500 and $5000 (CDN$) would be fair. Perhaps a bit less for a family discount...
An optimist might ask for more because of low mileage and good condition but it doesn't mean that it is reasonable or that he would get it.

Last edited:
These numbers came from KBB Canada, therefor CAN$
Pretty much in line with my wild-assed guess. Biggest issue (not in this case) is connecting the bike with an appropriately motivated buyer. In some places, you could hardly give away a 16 year old sport tourer. Elsewhere, it might sell within an hour of posting (and at a fair price). Dealers around here are asking a ridiculous amount for some awful used crap.

Knowing the history and maintenance of the bike may make it worth a bit more...

These numbers came from KBB Canada, therefor CAN$
The link goes to kbb.com. I couldn't find motorcycle values on the kbb.ca site. (When I tried a google site search on the Canadian site for "yamaha" Google came up with a page for a 2014 Viper for some strange reason.) How do you get to motorcycles on the Canadian site?

God bless your brother !

It's nice to help each other out this way... I recently sold 2 BMWs for a lost friend. Advertised on CL. Asked a fair price and got em both sold.

Now as I ride more this summer, I wish I had bought one for the memories of my friend. I suggest that buying his bike and keeping his memory alive and with you is worth a ton. Don't let the money become an issue, just say ' Thanks for everything! I will think of you whenever I ride it.'

The link goes to kbb.com. I couldn't find motorcycle values on the kbb.ca site. (When I tried a google site search on the Canadian site for "yamaha" Google came up with a page for a 2014 Viper for some strange reason.) How do you get to motorcycles on the Canadian site?
I couldn't get to motorcycles on the Canada site either. I made my original guess based on what I paid for mine (three years ago) and what I have seen advertized in past years. With a little closer look in a few markets, I think I would have to revise my initial estimate upward by $1000 to $1500 as a reasonable expectation ($5500 to $6500). I was surprised - probably a reflection on the current low availability of quality used vehicles of any sort and this being the optimum time of year for sellers. It is hard to find good comparables - looked in Quebec and Alberta Kijiji in addition to Ontario. The Gen II's seem to be mostly later ones or with significantly higher mileage and varying amounts of farkles. As stated, it depends on your local market and connecting with an interested buyer.

Sometimes life throws an unexpected curve. My brother has been diagnosed with an aggressive cancer. Stage 4. Already spread into his brain. He needs to sort out his affairs in the time remaining.

He has offered me his 2006 FJR, 45,000kms (28,000mi). Very clean, new PR5 meats with about 500km on them. 42,000 km service done by me a couple of weeks ago prior to what we now know was our last ride. Otherwise bone stock and un-farkled. Location is Southern Ontario.

The price he mentioned seems a bit low to me, but I haven't been shopping. My Dutch blood loves a bargain, but I want to be fair to him. I'm seeking advice on fair market value from anyone with recent experience in this market.

His is the blue one:

View attachment 1926
I'm not sure what to say, but I'm sorry to hear that your brother is going through this. Hope Get well soon

So sorry about your brother. I tend to be sentimental but have been trying to learn to get better at getting rid of stuff. However, I think the advice here is spot on with keeping it if you can. I am very close to my nephew (he's more like a son to me) and his younger brother died a couple years ago. He bought his deceased brother's Super Tenere. They had almost identical bikes but he ended up selling his own bike in better condition than his brother's so he could keep and ride his little brother's. I think he would tell you this was a great decision and it gave him some ongoing connection to him.

So sorry to hear about your brother. I went through a similar situation with my brother 5 years ago - except there was no motorcycle involved. It makes you realize how fragile life is and to treasure every ride you take.

Thanks, but he won't. It was too advanced when found. He's in palliative care now.
Sending you a big Kiwi hug. Do not know what i can say that would help, basing this comment on the fact that i lost my son a few months back. Try to stay strong and follow you heart. ((((((( Torch )))))))