BRP Where To Go

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsitalon1

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm planing on going into the BRP from Gatlinburg TN, What is the best route to take to get some nice curvey, low-high altitude rides with maybe some water around?

Planing on about a 2 days total. Leaving out of Montgomery Alabama.

James

James if you are planning to be there on a weekend I would avoid Gatlinburg. I was stuck in a traffic jam (that would rival anything in Los Angeles) when I was there in July and it was the middle of the week. I finally had to give up and lane split for several miles before traffic even started moving. And lane splitting was not looked at fondly. Many cages tried to block my path. I am not sure what they are thinking or why they care while they sit in air conditioned comfort listening to a CD and sipping a cold drink? I am not a violent man....but!!

I took the road from Gatlinburg,TN to Cherokee, NC. This goes right across Great Smoky Mtn NP. It is a very nice ride which can include a side trip to Clingman's Dome. My recommendation though is that if you do this road then go early in the morning. I did it around 10 am and it was just traffic, traffic, traffic.

Around 1 pm the same day I was surprised to find very little traffic on the Foothills Parkway. The FHP will take you right to Route 129 just a few minutes from the Dragon.

There are many folks here who know the area infinitely better than me but I just wanted to give you my 2 cents on Gatlinburg...If I can avoid it I won't be riding there ever again.

gypsy

Last edited by a moderator: