BRP

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THill

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here has rode the BRP all at one time ?

I got a week off in late Aug. and was wanting to do it , may have a couple other bikes going too...

Would like to know about how long time wise it takes, not rushing but kinda taking your time

and checking out the sites..

Was wanting to start in Gatlinburg and head up then back down to Nashville after it's over..

Any info or routes ???

Thanks T Hill

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering if anyone here has rode the BRP all at one time ?

I got a week off in late Aug. and was wanting to do it , may have a couple other bikes going too...

Would like to know about how long time wise it takes, not rushing but kinda taking your time

and checking out the sites..

Was wanting to start in Gatlinburg and head up then back down to Nashville after it's over..

Any info or routes ???

Thanks T Hill
As you already know, everyone rides at a different pace so...

If you ride close to the speed limit so that you can enjoy the scenery and the stops/overlooks the whole thing takes about 2 and 1/2 days. Lunch at the Pisgah Inn. Stop at the BRP Visitor's Center and go through the museum. Go up Mt. Mitchell. Spend the night at Little Switzerland, either at the Big Lynn Lodge or the Switzerland Inn. The food is better at the Big Lynn, the rooms are nicer at Switzerland Inn. Both places will take you to 1973 but not in a bad way. The southern 130 miles or so is the slowest and the twistiest. North of Little Switzerland you can easily make it to The Peaks of Otter Lodge for your second night. It is right on the BRP, has a surprisingly good restaurant and the rates are not bad. You will enter 1964 when you enter your room, again not a bad thing. If you eat the excellent breakfast at the Peaks of Otter you will easily be at the North end around lunch time. I have never ridden Skyline Drive so I can't help you there. If I were doing it, I would not have a problem turning around and riding it right back home. Obviously you can ride it faster, it is 469 miles long and the speed limit is 45mph, but it is not a racetrack, enjoy the scenery. Less traffic during the week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually ride it several times a year and have been doing so since around 1997 or so. It's a ride I never stop enjoying. I usually figure 3-4 days for the whole thing, Cherokee, NC to Front Royal, VA, but I've done it in as little as two days. Depends on how often you want to stop for pictures and side trips. Lodging with the best view is the Pisgah Inn (mile 408.5); second best would be the Chanticleer building at the Switzerland Inn, IMHO. The two best times are the last week of May/first week of June and the third week in October for foliage. Wheels Through Time https://www.wheelsthroughtime.com/ in Maggie Valley is a worthwhile side trip; only about 3-4 miles off the BRP. Mt. Mitchell (as previously stated) is a worthwhile side trip on a clear day. There are several old lodges right on the Parkway and Skyline Dr. run by concessioners; furthest south is the Pisgah Inn (mile 408.5), next is Bluff's Lodge (mile 240-unfortunately closed this year), Peaks of Otter (mile 85), on Skyline Dr. is Big Meadows (mile 51) and Skyland (mile 41). There is no gas available on the BRP anymore, but three spots on Skyline Dr. have it; Loft Mt., Big Meadows, and Elkwallow. Mabry Mill (mile 177 on the BRP) is another interesting stop. If you're into handmade crafts, the Folk Art Center (mile 381, just north of Asheville on the BRP) might interest you. It's a fantastic ride in good weather; if it's raining or low overcast, you can get into some thick fog up on the high ground. Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.

After the 45 MPH speed limit on the BRP, Skyline Drive @35 MPH is hard to take. I don't see the need to do Skyline after you have been on the BRP. Just my opinion.

Both of these roads will have much more traffic on the weekends. Some of it very slow (think car + trailer).

Thanks for the info guys, i'll forsure check some of the sites and routes...

Im shooting at starting it on a Monday ( 27th ) Aug. hoping

to mis the weekend traffic..

And Skyline Drive has a $15 entrance fee. Not a biggie. We were up there two weekends ago with our pop-up camper at the Big Meadows campground. Lots of bikes. And, at least for the van and camper, 35 mph was a challenge. The 20 miles or so we did on Skyline, it seemed much tighter than the average section of the BRP.

Does the FJR even go as slow as 35? I bought a years pass for Skyline, it's $40 - we tend to pop onto it for a bit as we go back and forth across the mountan ranges.

Latest posts