• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Bushtec Trailer Hitch for Gen2/3

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I have decided to start getting ready for retirement, therefore I am looking for a Bushtec Trailer/Hitch.

I have found many trailers for sale, but think it would be wise to Find / install a hitch first so I can move

quickly once I buy the trailer. (To pick it up)

Thanks, Tony

Nice hitch, I like being able to remove it. My hitch you have to get inventive to remove the rear tire.

Makes me wonder if "one size fits all." In other words, wondering if you should buy the hitch before you buy the trailer, just in case they're not compatible?

Did you think about doing what some of the other old geezers around here did, Tony? Buy a Gold Wing? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought one of these last year but haven't gotten around to finishing the install.

https://www.openroadoutfitters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=313

Dave
Looks nice… Does it seem well built ?
Yes indeed the quality and craftsmanship is there. My one bitch is they left a screw out. No biggy, i have plenty hanging around the house. The wiring kit comes with it. Most sellers charge extra for that. The reason I hadn't finished the install is because I bought the 2015. I still may finish putting it on the 08 for now.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes me wonder if "one size fits all." In other words, wondering if you should buy the hitch before you buy the trailer, just in case they're not compatible?
Did you think about doing what some of the other old geezers around here did, Tony? Buy a Gold Wing?
wink.png
There is a difference between gen 1 and gen 2 hitch mounting for a Bushtec (manufactured) hitch. Don't know about other brands. You will need the pin conversion to go with this to tow a Bushtec trailer.

Did you think about doing what some of the other old geezers around here did, Tony? Buy a Gold Wing?
wink.png
There is a difference between gen 1 and gen 2 hitch mounting for a Bushtec (manufactured) hitch. Don't know about other brands. You will need the pin conversion to go with this to tow a Bushtec trailer.
I've recently found out that you can fit a gen 1 hitch to a gen 2 with only a little modification. However you can't put the panniers on afterwards. There is a new hitch on the way from bushtec as we speak. Last year I had bought the pin and lock from them because I'd switched from a trailer with a ball to the bushtec. They sell the pin only for just under $100, They were good enough to sell me the gen 2 hitch without the pin for the same price as another hitch I was looking at. about $340 as opposed to the $440 with pin welded on. I like this better, I can switch from ball to pin with wrenches, depending what I'm towing. Good luck, Tony.

Latest posts