Buying an '06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnTC40

Reaction score
I'm test riding an '06 A tomorrow prior to buying. It looks very clean, has 11k miles on it, was used as a commuter (combination freeway and secondary roads), and was never taken on a long trip. Owner traded it in on a new Concours. I've ridden an '03 before so I know basically what it's supposed to feel/sound like. I was wondering if any of you '06 and later owners could recommend anything in particular in this model year to look/listen for? I'm coming from a Sportster 1200, so I'm accustomed to lots of engine noise and rough riding, so even a bad FJR (if there is such a thing) will seem like a dream machine to me. Just don't want to miss anything that would be obvious to one of you. Thanks for the help.

The '06's throttle has been a subject of much discussion. See Rider Magazine's current issue - they downplayed the FJR and rated the ST1300 higher, mainly due to the throttle (however, MCN just rated the FJR about the ST). The throttle is stiff, jerky and it's hard to maintain smooth throttle response. Also, the return spring is too damn stiff and your hand goes numb.

But there are fixes, most of which you can read about on this forum. I put the carb sticks on my '06 and balanced the throttle bodies. While in there, I took the slack out of the throttle cables and took one turn off the return spring. These efforts paid off with a much improved throttle and a right hand that doesn't go numb.

Outside of that, there's lots of farkles that will make the '06 better and that's just a question of how much $ is left over after you buy the bike.

Enjoy.

The FJR is so nimble compared to the Harley there will be no going back.

This site has tons of information for you and your new FJR. Skip worrying about the loud pipes and realize the raw power.

Outside of all the normal crap to look for...(missing bolts, loud clunking sounds, etc..)

You should get from the owner :

The side bag liners (soft cases that fit inside the side bags)

A spare lock for the optional tail case..if not already installed

A small bag with color matched covers for the holes left in the body when the side cases are removed.

An extra key

The owners manual

And the stock tool kit...

Am I missing anything???

KM

It is a seriously bullet-proof platform. Nothing really "jumps out" that you should be looking for other than "obvious signs" of abuse.

IF this one has the questionable ECU, Yamaha is doing a warranty replacement, so that is a non issue. Anything else mentioned above is personal preference as many ride their FJRs in absolutely stock trim. Try it and find out if you like it or not.

One thing I would mention...some are very sensitive to "buzz" in the throttle, that is, a buzz that afetcs their right wrist. Its a harmonic "thing" from inline-four engines. Some people are very sensitive, others are not. Even that can be mitigated by grips, etc.

Warning: watch the gauges! The speedometer is accurate--if it says 80 mph, that is how fast you are going regardless that your BUTT-o-meter feels like 45 mph. Other than that...enjoy your test ride. :yahoo:

Couple other points: Ask if the screws in the bag locks got locktite, otherwise they might be loose.

You might check the Bin-O-Facts for common issues and see if you glean new information.

Check the instant MPG and see if the instrument cluster was swapped out under warranty/recall: some peeps never bothered doing it, some did -- depends on whether that is important to you.

Ask if the Barbarian mod was done, which might be important, especially if you find the throttle response jerky/acceptable.

Enjoy! It really has been my favorite motorcycle and I hope it works out for you. Just watch out for the sidestand :p ;)

Just use the new-vehicle delivery check suggestions in the bin 'o facts.

As to throttle control issues - I have yet to experience anything with my machine. I keep asking . .. but if anyone with a 'bad' bike wants to meet me at some convenient point for a bike switch (come spring if they aren't in Montreal), I'd like to see what all the fuss is about.

The throttle issue is not a problem, although I'm sure it will be alot more responsive then the Harley. The 06 is a great bike, I love mine. Don't let anyone change your mind. Buy the bike and enjoy!!!

JohnT

I bought a lightly used 06 as well. It was in San Diego. I live in Raleigh NC. I flew out and rode it home with no problems whatsoever. It's an outstanding machine. However, before I rode it 3300 miles home I had the dealer install MClarrys handlebar risers and a Universal throttle lock. I also added some reflector tape to the side bags. Once I got home, I installed some of Skyways sliders and I modified the rear view mirrors slightly by adding some curved mirrors. My next farkle will be to install a touring windshield.

Enjoy the bike.

JohnT
I bought a lightly used 06 as well. It was in San Diego. I live in Raleigh NC. I flew out and rode it home with no problems whatsoever. It's an outstanding machine. However, before I rode it 3300 miles home I had the dealer install MClarrys handlebar risers and a Universal throttle lock. I also added some reflector tape to the side bags. Once I got home, I installed some of Skyways sliders and I modified the rear view mirrors slightly by adding some curved mirrors. My next farkle will be to install a touring windshield.

Enjoy the bike.
Pretty hard to go wrong here. Theres just no showstopping items to mention. If you going to ride the bike any distance home, get a cramp buster to make the ride more comfortable untill you can do some "tailoring" if you feel the need to.

GreyGoose

Thanks for all the info. The Bin-of-Facts was especially helpful. The one thing I am surprised about it the cost of insuring this beast: it's more than my Harley and Buell put together. I guess it's the fairing and other vulnerable bodywork that does that. Anyway, that's not a stopper. Hopefully, the deal will get done over the weekend. Thanks again for the help.

Thanks for all the info. The Bin-of-Facts was especially helpful. The one thing I am surprised about it the cost of insuring this beast: it's more than my Harley and Buell put together. I guess it's the fairing and other vulnerable bodywork that does that. Anyway, that's not a stopper. Hopefully, the deal will get done over the weekend. Thanks again for the help.
Insuring the FJR is a bit more expensive. Probably because it has twice the HP of your other bikes and the catagory name "sport/tourer".

Spent most of the day on the bike yesterday and (no surprise) loved it. I took it through it's paces on all the types of roads and conditions that represent my riding, and it was just all-around excellent. I will want a slightly larger windshield, but that's about it. So, now we're negotiating. We're only a few hundred dollars apart, so I'm sure we'll get there. One thing, however, it needs tires (this is part of the deal). It's wearing Dunlop Qualifiers now and the rear is squared off pretty badly. They are suggesting a Michelin Pilot Power front, and a Michelin Pilot Road rear. The sales guy (a friend and pretty aggressive rider) runs this setup on his FJR and likes it. The owner of the dealership (a road racer) agrees, saying he likes the stickiness of the Power on the front, and the general matching of the wear characteristics of the two tires (fronts last longer than rears, so this mixed pair will wear at a more even rate). What is your experience in this regard? I don't ride that aggressively, so will I even notice the mismatching of the tires?

I have heard folks running different models or even brands of tires to get the effect you have mentioned, stickier tires up fornt and longer wearing in the rear. I've done this in the past with no ill effect, however my opinion is to stay with the same model fornt and rear. They have been engineered to work in harmony together utilizing the same exact compounds, etc. I'm running Michelin Pilot Roads Front/Rear and find them excellent. I've got about 8,000 miles on them and thought I would keep the front and replace the rear in the next 3-4,000 depending how they look. (You typically can run 2 rears to 1 front) However, the front is surpisingly worn in my inspection, so I may need to replace both as a set. This shows me the front is gripping well and wearing at abt the same rate as the rear.

I may graduate to the Michelin Pilot Road 2 on the next round.