Buying used; mileage concern

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I Drink Alone

Reaction score
Tired of slamming my Harley Deuce through the twisties trying to act like (and keep up with) the sport bikes, but still need to go 2-up and pack camping gear. Am sold on the FJR. Put around 400 on a borrowed '03. Even more convinced I want need a feejer, but Gen II has upgrades I need at 6'-2". Is 32K a concern on an '07? I know there are posts for 150+, etc., etc. But what can happen on the other side of the bell curve? Any early demises. It's one thing to put those miles on it, but another to buy it without knowing the history/maintenance. What should I be looking out for?

32K is nothing on a 6 year old bike. I put >10K miles per year and I don't commute...just trips. And I don't ride as much as others do.

I would just check maintenance records, and check the bike out to see if there are any leaks from weeping seals. At 32K, see if records have been maintained for a valve check at 26K. Check and make sure it is a clear title of course.

Make sure any and all recalls have been done.

I bought my second FJR with 22K miles on it and it was just getting broken in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on how it was taken care of and maintenance of course but 32K is probably on the low side of the owners on here whom think nothing of that kinda mileage. Get a feel for the past owner, you usually can tell how picky/finicky he is (was) by having a normal talk with him (or her?).

I'm 6'-4" and the Gen2 werks, wish the seat was back 2 more inches and skimped from/on the pillion side
wink.png

64,000 miles on my 07, don't plan on selling just run the poop out of it. If I were advising my son to buy I would suggest an 08 or later as they are a bit smother.

34.5 K on my '06. 19,500 when I bought it in '11. I had to split the motor a year ago to fix a second gear issue, but that can happen to about any bike, particularly torquey large displacement bikes. Took care of the CCT and valve clearances while the motor was out, and have had zero problems otherwise. I commute with it, plus the occasional 1-300 miler on the weekends. I also suspect I'll crack 100k on it if I can keep it upright for that long.

As long as the bike wasn't abused, 32k is nothing to be concerned about.

I'd look over a bike with that low mileage VERY carefully. The only used bikes I've ever had problems with were the low mileage ones..they don't get ridden enough to keep the fuel system clean and the seals/gaskets/o-rings lubricated properly, and the paint/chrome/aluminum can get pitted from sitting up and not getting cleaned often enough. Just my $.02 worth.

32K on a well maintained FJR is nothing. Look it over closely and let the bike do the talking, you'll know how it's been treated.

Good luck with your FJR search...you won't be disappointed.

--G

162k on my 06.

New ebay engine at 145k (long story, not the engines fault).

New ebay engine with 5k miles on it, 1,200 USD delivered. Slam it in, good to go.

These engines are awesome.

I just bought an 04 with 40000 and a little on it. That is around 5000 a year. It is a bit cosmetically challenged on the right side especially but looks to be in good mechanical shape. I'm only 5'7" at best and have already ordered bar risers to move them up and back. But, I can get my feet on the ground! Anyway, the splines checked out, so did the suspension pivots & links and it seems to run well. A little warm on the legs though. That should be nice when it gets cooler. I don't think you will have anything to worry about so long as the bike has had at least average maintenance.

Another vote for "Go For It!"

I'm 5' 15" and find my '03 to be a wonderful option when I don't want to ride the Wingabago.

I bought Lucille in January with +/-63,000 on the clock and could not be more pleased. Did a weekend ride of over 1,000 miles last month and didn't want to stop. Ran great the whole time - from stop & go freeway traffic in Lost Angeles to hours cruising at 80+ for hours at a time on I-5 - and the oil level was the same at the end of the ride.

Properly maintained (easy and fun to do yourself), they are a no-brainer choice.

Enjoy!

i bought my 07 with 80K on it, and have not regretted it for a minute. I think I have 108k on it now after a year. Worst case, if the engine blows up somewhere along the way, I will get an Ebay one, and still come out ahead.

+1. That mileage isn't anything to worry about. Ask for a detailed maintenance log book. I'd be more concerned if they have half-assed the simple stuff that they'd also take short cuts on important things too.

I was fortunate enough to get a low mileage bike, only 8700 miles on 2007 model, but I wouldn't let that mileage scare me a bit. I've racked up 9k miles on mine in less than a year and lots of folks on here put my mileage to shame. These bikes didn't do that well in the Iron Butt Rally by accident! Even if the previous owner doesn't have maintenance records I'd just use that as a bargaining chip to drive the price down to your advantage. If the records are there that's just added piece of mind. There are a lot of very knowlegeable people on this forum who've already "been there, done that" who can help you through routine procedures and a few not so routine as well. I'm far from a professional mechanic but these bikes are pretty easy to work on and help is often just a keyboard away. Try to negotiate the best possible price and just spend a weekend going over the bike. Allow a few extra bucks in your purchasing budget for maintenance items and you won't regret it. Good luck and kep us informed.

The reason I put stock in a maintenance folder is because I don't ever want to inheret someone else's problems ever again.