Buzzy Vibration

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn

Reaction score
I have had my 07 for about two months. The buzzing seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Originally it was in the hands but now I am feeting it in the seat. I have read doing the TBS may help which I may have done. Yesterday I was riding and it dawned on me that since I put the sliders on the problem started getting worse. When I got home I decided to tighten the bolts without using the torque wrench. Not to worry, I didn't strip anything. I could move (tighten) them a considerably, 3/4 turn, before I lost my courage. I did use the torque numbers and procedure in the Skyway directions originally. It was late so I have not done a test ride to see if the problem is eased or gone. My question is, has anyone had these bolts loosen up on them after installing the sliders (Skyway). Also will my seat of the pants retightening be an issue. If the problem goes away, I would think not.

Any time you loosen engine mounting bolts you need to torque the left side first.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 07 is a bit buzzy in the 4000-5000 range. Normal. Do your self a favor tho, and invest in a torque wrench :)

Glenn,

I had the same situation witn my '03 as far as buzziness. It was corrected after I did the TBS and put on some grip puppies.

Another thing I did while I did the TBS, was to make sure all the wires, including the spark plug wires were not Touching each other to prevent shorting.

Any wires that were touching, I cut a rubber hose in about an 1" segments, slice it length wise, and slid them over the wires at their contact areas. I did this also over the smaller wires above the EFI bodies that connects the injectors.

Whether this helped or not, I am not sure except all my vibration is non existant.

Hope this may solve your problem.

I have had my 07 for about two months. The buzzing seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Originally it was in the hands but now I am feeting it in the seat. I have read doing the TBS may help which I may have done. Yesterday I was riding and it dawned on me that since I put the sliders on the problem started getting worse. When I got home I decided to tighten the bolts without using the torque wrench. Not to worry, I didn't strip anything. I could move (tighten) them a considerably, 3/4 turn, before I lost my courage. I did use the torque numbers and procedure in the Skyway directions originally. It was late so I have not done a test ride to see if the problem is eased or gone. My question is, has anyone had these bolts loosen up on them after installing the sliders (Skyway). Also will my seat of the pants retightening be an issue. If the problem goes away, I would think not.
Glenn, mine did the same as yours. I would check the torque after every ride. It took about a half dozen heat cycles before mine would stay tight. Now I check them every so often and so far so good. I use a torque wrench and torque them to 35 ft lb. No problems.

That is exactly what I hoped to hear. This is such a great ride and I didn't want to believe this would get worse instead of better. I really believe it was my doing and checking this routinely for awhile will probably be the ticket. Thanks Now, hopefully, no one will rain on my parade and contradict you. Maybe I should delete the thread before that happens.

OK. Here is the bottom line. I just went out for a test ride after torqueing the bolts to 35 lbs. And yes, I own a torque wrench. Cruised at 55, 65, 75, and 90. ALL THE BUZZ IS VIRTUALLY GONE IN THE GRIPS. Seat is minor which may be the new Bill Mayer seat due to the foam they use. Not a dig on the seat, it is really comfortable. The retightening of the bolts is a must. It has made the problem go away. Love the bike even more.

OK. Here is the bottom line. I just went out for a test ride after torqueing the bolts to 35 lbs. And yes, I own a torque wrench. Cruised at 55, 65, 75, and 90. ALL THE BUZZ IS VIRTUALLY GONE IN THE GRIPS. Seat is minor which may be the new Bill Mayer seat due to the foam they use. Not a dig on the seat, it is really comfortable. The retightening of the bolts is a must. It has made the problem go away. Love the bike even more.
Did you add a bit of Locktite? When I added my sliders, I dropped some Locktite on em and they've never come loose.

Glad your vibe's are under control :)

I did not use locktight mainly because of the things I've read about it changing the torque values. I'm going to use the check procedure after the next 7 or 8 rides, letting it cool down completely, and check the torque. Putting a wrench on it takes all of one minute.

Does much need to come off to get at the bolts? Mine virbrates quite a bit now. Had tick repair late last year so might need a check. Are they all 35 ft/lbs?, how many are there?

Does much need to come off to get at the bolts? Mine virbrates quite a bit now. Had tick repair late last year so might need a check. Are they all 35 ft/lbs?, how many are there?
On an '04 you need to take off the lower fairing on each side to get a good look at the bolts.

After I went out on the ride last night and the vibes were lessened quite a bit I checked the torque on the bolts this morning. Wanted it to be completetly cooled down before checking. They actually needed to be retightened/retorqued. Seems strange after only 45 minute ride. I may rethink the locktite idea if this keeps happening over the next 6 rides.

After I went out on the ride last night and the vibes were lessened quite a bit I checked the torque on the bolts this morning. Wanted it to be completetly cooled down before checking. They actually needed to be retightened/retorqued. Seems strange after only 45 minute ride. I may rethink the locktite idea if this keeps happening over the next 6 rides.
They will settle in, don't get impatient. It is the heat cycle that is causing the need for the re-torque not the length of the ride. The delrin sliders seem to take longer to settle in than the all aluminum sliders but they will seat. I think it is the difference in expansion rate of the unlike material that causes the looseness. The bolts are not actually backing out. If you lock tight the bolts you will then not be able to retighten them, they will feel tight when they are actually not. It is kind of like an aluminum head on a cast iron block. You need to re-torque, sometimes two or three times to seat the head.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the heads up! I have about 2,000 miles on the delrin skyway sliders and just re-torqued them. They needed it. My guess would be that they were at 15 - 20 lbs before I re-torqued them up to 30lbs. It took about a 1/4 revolution or more before "click".

SO, do the Skyway Delrins not have a metal sleeve in them? My R&Gs have a metal sleeve so that I am not compressing the Delrin when I torque them up. I have never had to re-torque them.

The Skyway's sliders do not have a metal sleeve that I can see. Unless it is buried in the molding process, which I doubt, it is all Delrin. Skyway might consider adding one in the future, I think it would be a good idea and I would pay a few bucks more just not to be bothered with this issue.

Are all the mounts shown on this diagram? Anyone point out the critical ones and the torque values. Also there seems to rear ones with pinch bolts as well.

mounts.gif