Calculating total milage to a tank of gas?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonderdawg

Reaction score
I just wanted to know how to total the milage for a tank of gas. I know this may seem fairly straight forward, but I just wanted to know if I should take the milage from before the reserve trip meter and reserve trip meter distance together to get the total milage?

Regards,

W. D. :huh:

You have totally lost me.

You have about 6.6 gallons of useable fuel. You will get anywhere from 38-50 mpg depending on bike variance and riding style. The 'virtual reserve' will start flashing and counting up from zero when you have used approximately 5.2 gallons meaning the 'reserve' is approximately 1.4 gallons. You can hit a false 'reserve' early if you are doing a lot of stop and go riding, or especially if you turn on the ignition with the bike on the sidestand.

Depending on fuel mileage, you should be able to generally get 250-300 miles total to a tank of gas taking it down close to empty. Figure approximately 40-60 miles once the 'virtual reserve' starts flashing.

I am not sure what you were asking, but hopefully the answer is in there somewhere above.

Fill your tank on the center stand, when your RESERVE trip meter starts fill up on the center stand to the same top of the filler cap, calculate mpg by dividing miles/gal on fill up, you have around 1.4 gals left when your RES trip meter. I would not go past 1 gal in your reserve. for example if you get 200 miles when your reserve trip meter starts and you fill up 5.0 gal, 200 divided by 5.0 = 40mpg, and if you go another 40 miles into your reserve (1 gal) you have around 240 miles per tank with .5 gals left

Fill your tank on the center stand, when your RESERVE trip meter starts fill up on the center stand to the same top of the filler cap, calculate mpg by dividing miles/gal on fill up, you have around 1.4 gals left when your RES trip meter. I would not go past 1 gal in your reserve. for example if you get 200 miles when your reserve trip meter starts and you fill up 5.0 gal, 200 divided by 5.0 = 40mpg, and if you go another 40 miles into your reserve (1 gal) you have around 240 miles per tank with .5 gals left
I use a variation on this usually. I fill on the centerstand to the filler cup. Then ride normally until I want to refuel. I fill to the same spot and then the receipt tells me how much fuel I had burned. You know your mileage from GPS or ODO. Do the math over several tanks you you can get pretty darn close.

Second method. I only did this once. Ride the tank from full to empty, but carry an MSR bottle with a bit of fuel (1 quart, with enough to get to a gas station). Do the math and it should be very accurate.

Usually I use the computer on the bike, I notice trends based on road conditions, my riding (lazy, aggressive, two lane or HWY, etc.). Over several thousand miles of mixed riding I usually end up with a 42-44 mpg avg. Close enough. In twisties I'm down around 36-38 and highway 42-50. But Skooter is right, there are a lot of variables.

I just wanted to know how to total the milage for a tank of gas. I know this may seem fairly straight forward, but I just wanted to know if I should take the milage from before the reserve trip meter and reserve trip meter distance together to get the total milage?

Regards,

W. D. :huh:
There's an app for that!

Simple math...Your shitting me right??
It is not simple math, you need to use advanced math techniques like division and multiplication. Then it gets worse, to calculate your reserve fuel range you have to do "What If" number puzzles. Then you have to worry if you can really use all 6.6 gallons of fuel capacity that Yamaha says you can use. It's even more worrisome if you can actually get 6.6 gallons in the 6.6 gallon tank. I'm sure that Yamaha is hiding something from us and there is some diabolical plot being used against us because the instantaneous fuel mileage readout does not exactly match the real gas mileage. I know for a fact that the low fuel indicator turns on at different points between the Gen I and Gen II bikes so there has to be something that they are duping us with. Some day I hope to figure out what they have done to trick us so I can determine accurately if I can go 58.2 or as much as 58.3 miles once the low fuel indicator starts counting miles. As it stands right now, every time the low fuel indicator starts flashing I immediately pull over and call a service truck to come deliver a can of gas because I sure don't want to run out. I really wish my GPS could tell me when to get gas and then direct me to a station that is within my fuel range. Sigh.

Edit: Oh shucks, I see I missed Wheaties post by 3 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

How come these threads never start on a Friday? What a wasted opportunity...
No shit...Ah drrrrrrr...how do I know how much pressure is in those round rubber thingys?Drrrrrrr...If I ride ride 80 miles and use 2 gallons of fuel, how many more miles can I go on a 6.6 gallon tank? Drrrrrrrr.

Goddamn...I'm a little irritable this morning...What's next? Another oil thread??

How come these threads never start on a Friday? What a wasted opportunity...
No shit...Ah drrrrrrr...how do I know how much pressure is in those round rubber thingys?Drrrrrrr...If I ride ride 80 miles and use 2 gallons of fuel, how many more miles can I go on a 6.6 gallon tank? Drrrrrrrr.

Goddamn...I'm a little irritable this morning...What's next? Another oil thread??

Easy there Rambo..

aj.jpg

...Your shitting me right??
Easy HRZ. He wouldn't shite you! You're his favorite turd! :p :D
Sorry bud, I couldn't resist. I'm done, back to work.
So one day there is this Horny Toad sunning himself in the NM desert. Suddenly, he is grabbed by an Eagle who picks the Horny Toad up and swallows him whole.

The Eagle takes of and starts flying around. Well, soon, the Horny Toad, not being dead comes back up and asks the Eagle, "How high are we?" The Eagle answers, "About 8,000 feet." The Horny Toad, now visibly shaken, responds, "You wouldn't shit me wouldja??"

6.6 gallons???!!!??!! I though it was 6.5!!!!! I've been short-filling all these years 'cause I didn't know I had another tenth of a gallon? I coulda gone 3 or four miles further to get to that cheaper station??!!!!??!!!

Damn, I hate this place!!! All this misinformation!!!! :angry:

:p :p :p

Best way to find the range is to carry a gas can and run it dry. Nobody has accepted the challenge, yet, AFAIK.

When the reserve starts blinking, start looking for gas. When the reserve is blinking 40-some miles, start getting ready to walk. How's that? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
1319561167[/url]' post='909113']6.6 gallons???!!!??!! I though it was 6.5!!!!! ...
Defined as 25 litres, equates to 5.499231 UK gallons or 6.604301 US gallons
rolleyes.gif