Calibrating the TPS on a Power Commander V

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Jekyll

Reaction score
I just got a Power Commander V the was set up to use on my 2007 by Fuel Moto. For the life of me I can 't set the TPS no matter how I try, engine off, bike on etc. as the instructions make it look so simple but when turning the throttle while the bike is off the meter doesn't move. Of course when the bike is running I don't have that problem but there's no way I'm gonna go WOT in my garage. The instructions clearly say it can and must be done with the bike off unless i'm in a shop hooked up to a Dynometer. Has anyone set the TPS on their PC-V successfully? Is that why I'm not seeing the benefits of the PC-V?

And I'm primarily trying to get rid of the stuttering out of first gear into second as the bike still lurches as I roll on the throttle. Thanks for any related input!

Hi,

Hidden away in the menu, somewhere, of the PC5 program is where you calibtate the PC5 to the bikes TPS.

I didn't know when I first hooked the laptop to it.

The PC5 is powered via a +ve from the tail lights, you have the bike switched on for the PC5 to power up.

Get into the menu of the program when the bike is on, not running, and fully open the throttle, quite simple.

I struggled with this as well. No matter what I did the program showed the TPS at 100% at rest. I called Dynojet tech support and they told me that the engine needed to be running and that I needed to blip the throttle fully open. This didn't sound like a good idea to me, but the tech insisted saying it didn't need to be at full throttle very long. I did what he said and sure enough the program now showed 0% with the throttle closed. I also noticed that the PC V now made the improvements to engine performance that I was looking for when I purchased the PC V.

seventyss - Thanks, glad to know I'm not crazy. I'll work on that tonight when I get home. I hope that solves the problem as the way it runs right now doesn't feel like much of an improvement. Out of curiosity what are your min. and max. voltage values?

Queensland Ken - Unfortunately that menu option didn't work for me. I hope you stay dry down under. Sorry to hear of the horrible tradgedy the rains are causing. Stay safe.

This is my next farkle. Did you guys also get the Autotune or just the pcV? What are your impressions and any changes in mpg? Worth the cost?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mileage is down about 1.5mpg, but it is worth it (I'm definitely racing around more than before the mod, so that alone could account for lower mpg). I wouldn't want to go back to stock. It was hard to spend the money, but it was worth every penny. My enjoyment of the bike has increased a bunch. PC V only, no autotune.

Queensland Ken - Unfortunately that menu option didn't work for me. I hope you stay dry down under. Sorry to hear of the horrible tradgedy the rains are causing. Stay safe.
Thanks very much on that.

We copped it bad in Toowoomba, but other places are pure disaster zones.

3-4 towns aren't there anymore, 15 dead and about 60 confirmed missing.

And here I am watching all on tv.

Anyhow, I have the Autotune works perfect with the PC5. Set the A/F ratios you want and bingo.

I'm sorry, bugger, bugger, bugger.

It's the Autotune you hook up to a +VE supply and hook the laptop into that.

It's there you can adjust the calibration of the PC5 to the bike's TPS, SORRY.

Cheers

Ken

Mileage is down about 1.5mpg, but it is worth it (I'm definitely racing around more than before the mod, so that alone could account for lower mpg). I wouldn't want to go back to stock. It was hard to spend the money, but it was worth every penny. My enjoyment of the bike has increased a bunch. PC V only, no autotune.

Thanks very much on that.

We copped it bad in Toowoomba, but other places are pure disaster zones.

3-4 towns aren't there anymore, 15 dead and about 60 confirmed missing.

And here I am watching all on tv.

Anyhow, I have the Autotune works perfect with the PC5. Set the A/F ratios you want and bingo.

I'm sorry, bugger, bugger, bugger.

It's the Autotune you hook up to a +VE supply and hook the laptop into that.

It's there you can adjust the calibration of the PC5 to the bike's TPS, SORRY.

Cheers

Ken
Thanks guys. Mine runs reasonably decent but I hate the occasional hiccup I get between shifts or especially when trying to roll on smoothly while riding quickly through the twistys. Need to do this asap.