Call all Wiring Gurus!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRGuy

FJR Rally Addict! :D
Reaction score
I always prefer to minimize the cutting/splicing/puncturing of the stock wiring by buying or making plug-n-play mini harnesses for my applications. I'm currently working on an alternate ignition switch but i'm a noob at this harness building stuff. So...

I'd like to create a reference for mating connector vendors and part numbers. I did determine a couple when I built my trailer wiring connector, and Thanks to Brodie's Ignition Relay Harness posts, I've been able to identify the main Ignition wire connector. If you've ever built a harness with wiring connectors to mate with the stock harness, could you please post which connector, where you found it, and part number if you have it. I will compile and share the resultant reference.

Also... General Discussion on Connectors, Tapping methods (when not plug and play), preferred location to... I know a lot of this info is out there, but this will pull a wealth of useful info into a single wiring specific thread.

For the record, my wiring diagram is from the 2009 Service Manual. I'll be referencing connectors on that diagram but can compile for all Gens if someone can get me other wiring diagrams so I can determine where they differ.

Thanks infrared. Jim at EB is my first go to guy for these type of things. I'll check out the others. Are there any connectors in particular that you've purchased and used on the FJR?

Thanks Scottie. I'm a fan of PosiTaps as well. Have a collection in the toolbox at all times.
smile.png

Hmmm... I guess there are a lot less wiring gurus out there than I thought!
sad.png
Or gurus that read your OP are still scratching their head what it is you want to do exactly. And possibly more importantly why.

I won't classify myself as a guru, but maybe approaching the level of sage....still don't get it after reading your thread several more times. Maybe it's the lack of specific questions...dunno.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^Goddammit, I reached my 'like' quota, but I'm in the same boat. Something about making ignition harnesses and needing connectors...OR something.

I am NOT a guru. I do know that smoke is bad and not screwing with the bikes OEM wiring is good. Maybe that's why I've never had Spider issues...

Hmmm... I guess there are a lot less wiring gurus out there than I thought!
sad.png
FJRguy,

Even (and especially) wiring gurus know that wiring problems can be a quagmire. Sorry.
unsure.png
Your plan to use connectors to make a custom application is great, much better than using a dozen splices or taps. At least you can get back to stock in one move, if things don't quite work out; splices and taps can add more problems than you had originally.

For the FJR, it might be a mistake to go non-standard on the wiring, so it would help if you described what is wrong now, and what you plan to do about it. Unless you know every connection made inside the ignition switch, what lines may get power and what may get grounded, you could get yourself into deep yogurt pretty fast. Speaking only for myself, I'd beat the bushes for good parts, new or used, before I tried to re-invent the wiring on a bike.

I only used the connector boys to replace a damaged connector on an old dirt bike. As long as the pins were heavy enough, and it had the correct number of connections, I was golden there. Your effort to list the correct connector replacements by part number for the FJR is excellent, and I hope you get lots of support on that project. It will take a lot of work and time, though.

Best wishes,

Infrared

LoL - well I guess it was clear to me. :)

I'll reiterate:

"If you've ever built a harness with wiring connectors to mate with the stock harness, could you please post which connector, where you found it, and part number if you have it."

Basically I'm creating another sub harness and am thinking a reference for OEM connectors would be a useful.

And general discussion seemed self explanatory to me.

LoL - well I guess it was clear to me.
smile.png
I'll reiterate: "If you've ever built a harness with wiring connectors to mate with the stock harness, could you please post which connector, where you found it, and part number if you have it." Basically I'm creating another sub harness and am thinking a reference for OEM connectors would be a useful. And general discussion seemed self explanatory to me.
FJRguy,

I understood what you wanted, but I never did that job, exactly. So, I gave you my connector sources, and I believe that some of the information you want is known to them. My questions would be:

Why are you doing this (as in, what is the purpose of the sub-harness)? I think the sub-harness is a great approach, BTW.

What was the original malfunction?

No need to respond, of course; this was just for discussion.

Cheers,

Infrared

Posi-taps suck

My sub-harness takes it's power from the battery using crimped (and soldered) ring terminals - there is a 30 amp inline fuse located outboard of the battery in series with the power. I have a 50 amp automotive relay that is operated from the brake light to provide switched power - there are a pair of snap-tite connectors just aft of the ECU under the seat. I had a set of 'Y' snap-tites from a car stereo I used many years ago which fit perfectly - I simply removed the second connector and did a properly twisted, soldered and shrink-wrapped extension to get the power to my relay coil..

No posi-taps. No stripped insulation anywhere on the OEM wiring . . . . yet..

Hmmm... a quick google search tells me "Snap-tite is a manufacturer of innovative high-pressure fluid power components for oil and gas, industrial and research markets."
fool.gif
(<-- That's me, not you Bram. ;) )

Last edited by a moderator: