Calsci windshield vs stock windshield comparo

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBJanky

Reaction score
I installed a Calsci windshield a few days ago on my '07 FJR. I opted for the Large version (6'0"/32" inseam)

Here are some pics before and after installation:

Stock windshield all the way down:

calsci_1.jpg

From the side:

calsci_2.jpg

Stock windshield all the way up:

calsci_3.jpg

From the side:

calsci_4.jpg

Calsci vs. stock:

calsci_5.jpg

calsci_6.jpg

Calsci windshield all the way down:

calsci_7.jpg

From the side:

calsci_8.jpg

Calsci windshield all the way down:

calsci_9.jpg

From the side:

calsci_10.jpg

My impressions:

I like the new windshield a LOT.

I usually ride with a more upright position and with the old stock windshield, I used to get a lot of helmet buffeting and wind noise at high speeds.

With the new Calsci windshield, buffeting and wind noise has been reduced by 80-90% I can't even detect any backpressure. I can actually hear the sweet sound of the FJR engine, and I'm very happy about this :)

With the new windshield all the way down, wind hits me at my upper chest/neck level and that's good enough ventilation for me.

With it all the way up, not much turbulence left and the top of my helmet gets a tiny amount of wind. The hole/vent at the bottom of the new windshield helps eliminate backpressure and actually lets a small stream of air through at high speeds for a little more ventilation.

The fit and finish of the new windshield is great. Easy installation and fits perfectly.

The optics on the new windshield are great too, it's like looking through a really clear piece of glass with no optic distortion.

The only thing negative I did notice was that my fuel economy dropped a couple of MPGs. Completely normal I guess since there's more drag now.

Overall, I think that this mod was well worth it. B)

Kudos to Calsci for making such a great product :yahoo:

I also put a cal-sci on mine. I like it very much, no more back pressure or buffeting. :yahoo:

I'm 5'11'' /32'' inseam and should have got the large shield but I got the XL for more coverage in cold weather.I wish I got the large because I only have to raise it about half way for total coverage. Any more than that is a waste and at half way I'm looking thru it. The nice thing about not raising it more then half way up is it stays at a nice angle.

I think I'll use this XL for spring & fall and either get a smaller one or use the stock one for summer,(this was my original plan anyway). Although now I don't want to use stock again because of buffeting so I'll probably buy a large or med cal-sci.

A.C.

Very nice! I put a CalSci on my C14 (before I sold it). They're a little expensive but worth the money to me. Mark is excellant to work with and he actually calls you back if you leave a message. Did your CalSci windshield whistle a bit in the full up position? Mine did on the C14.

Also (road runner), if you think you got a windshield too tall Mark will exchange it with a smaller one at no charge. He's seems very genuine. Good luck!

Forgot, can you fold you mirrors in and not touch the new windshield? I've heard the new shield may nick the paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
dirk

Yes it does whistle when up. More like a howl.

Yes he will exchange it if it is perfect, not even marks from mounting. He says to mount it with clear plastic wrap on it for your first ride in case you want to return it, I didn't. No big deal, I may like it this big for winter, and I can always cut it down if needed.

I think the mirrors do hit the shield when folding, but if you do it carefully it's OK. They only hit in one spot, I think. I don't know because my bike is all apart getting farkles. But I do know I put it on last fall and no nicked paint.

A.C.

dirkYes it does whistle when up. More like a howl.

Yes he will exchange it if it is perfect, not even marks from mounting. He says to mount it with clear plastic wrap on it for your first ride in case you want to return it, I didn't. No big deal, I may like it this big for winter, and I can always cut it down if needed.

I think the mirrors do hit the shield when folding, but if you do it carefully it's OK. They only hit in one spot, I think. I don't know because my bike is all apart getting farkles. But I do know I put it on last fall and no nicked paint.

A.C.
I have had the CalSci screen on 2 different GenII FJRs and on both the screen touched (scrapped the paint) on the left mirror stem when in the full down position. Also it is very hard (slight miss-alignment of the holes) to fit the color matched plastic W cover with this screen on. I do get quite a bit of buffeting at highwahy speeds in the upper third of the setting range. As well all the edges are also pretty rough. All in all I've not been overly impressed with this screen and plan on getting a Rifle as a replacement.

Just my personal experience with this screen.

Last edited by a moderator: