Cam chain tensioner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DenverPolyQuad

Reaction score
We have a 2003 FJR with 22K on it. Just recently it starting making an on again off again clicking sound that at idle, is VERY noticable. It comkes and goes with no real pattern. I have read on the classic problem with an exaust valve and other such issues but I do not think my problem is that one. On an old CB1100F that I had, this sound was 100 percent cam chain tensioners. Are the FJs known for needing new cam chain tensioners? Anyone else had this problem?

Oh boy!!! Ionbeam had an issue awhile back. Ya might look it up......... ;)

Seems like Cam Chain disaster er sumpin like that.

:jester:

We have a 2003 FJR with 22K on it.....Are the FJs known for needing new cam chain tensioners? Anyone else had this problem?Sincerely, Elizabeth (19), Jamie(27), Michelle (29) & Dennis(39)
Hi you guys (and welcome),

It might be best if you search some and read for yourself the few cam chain/chain tensioner reports that have been discussed here.

I would say that FJRs are not known for needing new cam chain tensioners. And, AFAIK, MamaYama hasn't offered an 'up-dated' tensioner for the FJR -- a sure sign of an 'issue'.

Yet, there is at least one well documented cam-chain disaster (that 'Bj' aluded to) a year-or-so back.

It's been my experience that cam-chain tensioners allow the chain to really make a lot of noise when they fail -- usually leaving no doubt that there's a problem. But, I have no (personal) experience with an FJR cam-chain tensioner failure.

I'm fairly sure more replies will be forthcoming.... :blink:

(edit) '03HiYoSilver's link is a good place to start.

(more) I thought about this a little more -- the type of cam chain used in the FJR (and many other engines) is the Morse Hy-Vo chain and it's also called the 'silent' chain (probably because it can't bend back on itself -- and maybe doesn't make as much noise...?). So, my comment on a 'noisy' cam chain may not be as relevant as I hoped....? :ermm:

Still, I think the incidents of failure are relatively rare. :rolleyessmileyanim:

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone posted a while back about how he removed his cam chain tensioner and measure the spring tension. It seems that the spring had much less tension after the tensioner came out about half way.

There have also been enough people reporting cam chain noise that went away after replacing the tensioner to make me order a new one that will go in this winter.

Take a look at this article on valve clearance adjustment to help you understand how to access the cam chain tensioner.

I have over 60k on my '05 and I noticed an increase in cam chain noise after about 50k. If you try this, I recommend that you remove the right side cam chain cover and hold a little tension on the chain while you release the tension on the tensioner to be sure the chain doesn't slip a tooth. What I did:

1) Remove the screw at the end of the tensioner

2) Put a small screwdriver in there, through the hole in the frame, and tighten the tensioner. It will detent after it reaches the end of it's travel

3) Unwind it slightly to release it from the detent and let it go. That seemed to push it out far enough to quiet down the cam chain.

I suppose you could simply unwind it manually rather than wind it up and let the spring push it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my tensioner replaced this summer after NAFO. '05 with 32K when it started to fail. Intermittent noise from the right side of the bike. Part is cheap, getting it out and in is a pain. Hope you have small fingers. You need the tensioner and the gasket. Bike was back to silent operation after the minor surgery. Don't wait like Ionbeam, it gets real nasty if you do.

Same as MN ^^^

Replaced mine and all that noisy racket is gone, '05 w/33K. Search the valve threads if there is a tick once that is done but it usually shuts things up for a good long time.

We have a 2003 FJR with 22K on it. Just recently it starting making an on again off again clicking sound that at idle, is VERY noticable. It comkes and goes with no real pattern. I have read on the classic problem with an exaust valve and other such issues but I do not think my problem is that one. On an old CB1100F that I had, this sound was 100 percent cam chain tensioners. Are the FJs known for needing new cam chain tensioners? Anyone else had this problem?

IIRC, the local service manager said 3 FJRs in the Sac area needed new tensioners at the 40-50K mile mark - mine made it to ~53K and I piggybacked the second valve adjust onto it - you may want to do the same as you're only 4K miles short of the valve check interval and most of the same parts need to come off for both jobs.

I had my tensioner replaced this summer after NAFO. '05 with 32K when it started to fail. Intermittent noise from the right side of the bike. Part is cheap, getting it out and in is a pain. Hope you have small fingers. You need the tensioner and the gasket. Bike was back to silent operation after the minor surgery. Don't wait like Ionbeam, it gets real nasty if you do.
Can't resist, MNFJR05, but my 140K Harley has no problems like your less mileage beloved rice bike! :D

On the FJR thread, my 06 made unusual noises somewhere from the right side engine/exhaust side/middle frame side.. Having read Ionbeam's discourse to disaster, I installed a new tensioner and have not heard a peep from the motor since then. For what it's worth. :rolleyes: