Cam Chain Tensioner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howie'd is a lot easier to say than Ionbeamed. And alan'd just doesn't make sense.
Alan WAS first. You could say "He beam'd his tranny", or "His pistons are all beam'd up.

But it should be limited to clanging of internal parts. And not anything done by someone. There is no "My dealer Howie'd my ignition switch." There is no "My tire Howie'd and I had to cut my trip short."
I agree. It's got to be unexpected, random and catastrophic. :)

Damn, it's gonna suck for him, going through life as a verb! :p
Could be worse....you could be Odot and go through life as a dick. :rofl:
Umm, yeah, it could be a lot worse.
pic20600aq8.jpg

Howie'd is a lot easier to say than Ionbeamed. And alan'd just doesn't make sense.
Alan WAS first. You could say "He beam'd his tranny", or "His pistons are all beam'd up.

But it should be limited to clanging of internal parts. And not anything done by someone. There is no "My dealer Howie'd my ignition switch." There is no "My tire Howie'd and I had to cut my trip short."
I agree. It's got to be unexpected, random and catastrophic. :)

Damn, it's gonna suck for him, going through life as a verb! :p
Could be worse....you could be Odot and go through life as a dick. :rofl:
Umm, yeah, it could be a lot worse.
pic20600aq8.jpg
Zippy, you're a sick puppy dragging up that old image. Ewwwwww........

any idea/guestimate how many '05's have had CCCTF? just curious how wide spread an issue it is/could be...

any idea/guestimate how many '05's have had CCCTF? just curious how wide spread an issue it is/could be...
I think they are all potential problems because of the design of the unit. Most will not get enough miles on them to have the problem show up and some will never have it. The spring that it the heart of the system is so light weight it looks like it came out of a watch and not an engine. I have been through two CCT in 78 thousand miles and have converted mine to a manual adjuster.

I replaced my CCT about a week and a half ago at 63k miles. My chain started making noise at about 50K and I figured out what it was about 5k later. I tweaked the tension manually and quieted it down for the rest of the season but I'd rather let the CCT do it's thing as designed so I put on a new one. I'll probably schedule another replacement, and a new chain, at 100k or sooner if I hear noises again.

Once I took the old one out it seemed to be working fine. The spring wound it all the way out on it's own and my calibrated fingers could not detect any binds or weakness in the spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine also got noisy at about 50K miles.

Service manager said mine was the third '05 that he'd replaced the CCT on when the bike got to the 40 - 50K mile range. Covered under YES.

Mines been noisy for a while now!

I don't have good feelin's about it. Cold mornin's it's real noisy. just over 10K. I hope i don't get HOWIED! :unsure: or beamed!

CCT is one of the FJRs weak points. But I don't think you can draw any conclusions about when exactly it will need to be replaced. Some go early, as in 15-20k, and some last much longer.

My first one was replaced at 110k, though it had been noisy for a while. Now, 67k miles later, still no noise.

Fortunately the CCT isn't susceptible to crash damage eh? I mean if it was, you'd be around a dozen replaced by now wouldn't ya?

:jester:

Wow! Didn't know you were so good with Photoshop!!!

[SIZE=8pt](I'm gonna have to pay for that one day, aren't I?)[/SIZE]
IF it's a photochop, it's someone else's. Grabbed it off of Google Image Search.

I'm such a lazee fook, I haven't got that far into my Feej motor, yet.

Got the ZRex for ridin'....and it's rained [SIZE=24pt]25 inches[/SIZE] here in the last 2 weeks!!! :dribble:

CCT is one of the FJRs weak points. But I don't think you can draw any conclusions about when exactly it will need to be replaced. Some go early, as in 15-20k, and some last much longer.My first one was replaced at 110k, though it had been noisy for a while. Now, 67k miles later, still no noise.
Well said SkooterG. I wonder if the newer CCT's are more beefy in the springy department, or designed more robust (mine looked the same from the outside without dissecting it). Mine was noisy from when I got it with about 25K on it. I just replaced it at 42K and it's real quiet now. Glad I did it and didn't go too long. Only after recently reading the CCT issues from various members did I then think, I best change this puppy.

I would be conservative on this and if you have cam chain noise, replace the CCT. For $70-$90 it's worth the piece of mind. Just MHO.

I would be conservative on this and if you have cam chain noise, replace the CCT. For $70-$90 it's worth the piece of mind. Just MHO.

:angry: :angry:

Specially considering that valves are $25 a piece and you might wind up needing about 12-16 new ones if you DON'T replace that penny-ante $90 part.

Specially considering that valves are $25 a piece and you might wind up needing about 12-16 new ones if you DON'T replace that penny-ante $90 part.

$25 each, but at least they're real cheap to get at. Oh, that's on the shelf at the parts counter. :glare: