Cam Chain Tensioner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
I asked the question as part of another post but it didn't get answered. I am planning some significant maintenance work over the coming winter including valve check/adjustment, fork service, steering head, chasis lubrication etc.

I read some recent articles on CCT replacement and cautions given regarding timing are noted and appreciated. On an '07 with 30,000+ miles, riding 25,000 miles per year, should I change the CCT as a preventative measure in the absence of any obvious symptoms or wait until the next major maintenance cycle at ~60,000 miles, a year from now. (Service cycle is determined more by season than absolute distance - not right but it is realistic) This is not to say that I will ignore an apparent problem 'till then if something comes up.

Ross

During your valve check you are going to have completed 95% of the work that needs to be done for the CCT replacement, you may as well change it at that time and be done with it. Not all CCTs are bad but it is cheap insurance to replace it with the new revision CCT and not have to worry about it.

During your valve check you are going to have completed 95% of the work that needs to be done for the CCT replacement, you may as well change it at that time and be done with it. Not all CCTs are bad but it is cheap insurance to replace it with the new revision CCT and not have to worry about it.
Thanks Alan

I was thinking along the same lines but haven't heard much about failures in the Gen II's. Relatively speaking, its a cheap fix - especially when you consider the alternative that both you and Radio Howie described in painful detail on this forum. Do you think that 30,000 miles is a reasonable replacement interval? (Have you changed your CCT out since the "incident")

When did they come out with the new design CCT?

Ross

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at Hudson (NH) Cycles recently to schedule a valve check & recall (tps) work. They're recommending replacement at 40k. I may just have them replace it now at 30k.

...haven't heard much about failures in the Gen II's...Do you think that 30,000 miles is a reasonable replacement interval? (Have you changed your CCT out since the "incident")...When did they come out with the new design CCT?
There have been a number of Gen IIs with rattling chains but no failures. I think us Gen I guys have 'yelled fire in the theater' and everyone has run to the shop to replace the CCT at first rattle. IMO, there is no reasonable replacement interval in terms of miles. The assembly process for the old style CCT was variable, allowing some CCT springs to be wound with great pressure and others were wound flaccid. The CCTs born with too little spring pressure begin life with too little force to take up slack as wear begins. My chain was rattling before 20k miles. RH appears to be an aberration ( ;) ) in that his CCT spring actually broke. My FJR is just about due for a valve check and you can bet your ass that I'll be changing my CCT at that time.

I believe the new blue dot CCT was released sometime during the last quarter of 2009.

...haven't heard much about failures in the Gen II's...Do you think that 30,000 miles is a reasonable replacement interval? (Have you changed your CCT out since the "incident")...When did they come out with the new design CCT?
There have been a number of Gen IIs with rattling chains but no failures. I think us Gen I guys have 'yelled fire in the theater' and everyone has run to the shop to replace the CCT at first rattle. IMO, there is no reasonable replacement interval in terms of miles. The assembly process for the old style CCT was variable, allowing some CCT springs to be wound with great pressure and others were wound flaccid. The CCTs born with too little spring pressure begin life with too little force to take up slack as wear begins. My chain was rattling before 20k miles. RH appears to be an aberration ( ;) ) in that his CCT spring actually broke. My FJR is just about due for a valve check and you can bet your ass that I'll be changing my CCT at that time.

I believe the new blue dot CCT was released sometime during the last quarter of 2009.
Since we're on the subject can someone post the part number for the new CCT blue dot design. I know it is searchable but might as well include it on this post. Thanks

Since we're on the subject can someone post the part number for the new CCT blue dot design. I know it is searchable but might as well include it on this post. Thanks

P1050318.jpg

From this this thread.

It's a fun job for sure, half a day should do it.... did BikerGeek's Gen 1... just pull the engine and it will be a lot easier, LOL.... limited access requiring tiny hands and patience. I got a blister on one finger from it. Read up on the procedure from another thread. Pull the right cover and make sure you tiestrap the chain! I found there was no access room for the ratchet wrenches even if I had ground them down, but I have two shiny new ones in the toolbox!!

It's a fun job for sure, half a day should do it.... did BikerGeek's Gen 1... just pull the engine and it will be a lot easier, LOL.... limited access requiring tiny hands and patience. I got a blister on one finger from it. Read up on the procedure from another thread. Pull the right cover and make sure you tiestrap the chain! I found there was no access room for the ratchet wrenches even if I had ground them down, but I have two shiny new ones in the toolbox!!
And she's running like a top, thank you very much!

You'll want a chair...

IMG_0023.jpg

And, as Ray said, a tiestrap for the cam chain.

IMG_0028.jpg

Darn, we didn't get a picture of the big blister on my finger from trying to get the bolts out of that confined space. That was a real bear to get in there and that's what takes the time. Glad to hear she's running sweeter.

And she's running like a top, thank you very much!
Have you installed the light strips yet or are you waiting for the dead of winter?

Remember that the leds are polarity sensitive so don't wire them up backwards.

I could stop in on the way back from Copper Canyon to lend a hand but then you would have to pick up my bar tab which would make the job too expensive.

Have you installed the light strips yet or are you waiting for the dead of winter?

Remember that the leds are polarity sensitive so don't wire them up backwards.

I could stop in on the way back from Copper Canyon to lend a hand but then you would have to pick up my bar tab which would make the job too expensive.
Not yet. I still need to send the wiring harness back to Admore for replacement. Been too busy and / or too lazy to get that done yet...