Cam chain tensioner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRPierre

Making up for lost time...
Reaction score
edited to say

"when you don't get a hint of an answer to your post, it may mean it's been discussed here ad nauseum. Despite the fact I read everything here religiously, I did a search on cam+chain+tensioner and up pops this with all the answers.... sep 06 no less. Sorry... :dribble: "

Over in the Canuk section, I mentioned that I'm having the valves checked/adjusted as necessary, on my 03 with 65,000km, in conjunction with the TPS recall. Huron said that his valves were ok but that he had the cam chain tensioner replaced ($60-$70 part) while they were in there, for a quieter running motor.

My bike isn't particularly noisy but what's the consensus, is this something I should routinely have done while they are in there. Is it easily replaceable at the valve check stage, or do you need to get to the adjust stage to do it? Is it a lot of additional work/time/cost?

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't know the life expectancy of the cam chain tensioner

-- but if it was me

-- for $60 in parts while they're in there (caveat: if i trusted and knew the mechanic) it would be a go-for-it decision for me.

The cam chain tensioner was replaced as I said on a different post. Except for a darn tough spot to get at one of the bolts it is a straight forward job. It was a simple unbolt and bolt in the new one. The tank was tilted to see, shine a light on the area. Not even the side plastic was removed.

For me , It gives me peace of mind.

When the old CCT was out it was not a smooth as it should have been in operating. The manual says if it sticks replace.

edit... CCT was $114.87

Gasket was $1.67

labour was $40 (one hour)

While I have heard of a very few instances of them going bad/getting noise, I subscribe to the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" train of thought.

At around 50k mine started getting noisy. By the time I finished Spank at nearly 60k, it was REALLY noisy. The weekend before I was due to take it in for the late valve check, it got suddenly quieter on a day ride. Much quieter. When apart for the valve check I had it looked at and they told me it appeared fine. They did re-tension the cam chain though. It's pretty quiet now, but not quite as quiet as new.

At the moment, I'm ok with the noise. I may have it addressed when I go in for the TPS replacement, under warranty for both.

I am no mechanic .

I once had a Yamaha XS11 because of a bad cam chain tensioner jump a cog and everything came together. Because of it's age it is now someone elses doner bike. Now I do know that, that was a manual tensioner and you have to put it in a particular spot to adjust it.

One morning this past summer I started up the FJR and it made the worse rattling noise I ever heard. I had ear plugs in and it sounded bad. I shut it off. Checked the oil (good) waited and thought start it up again and see if it is still there. The noise was gone.

Never got that loud again. Noisy... but not bad.

When my mechanic checked the valves @ 86,000kms he adjusted the cam chain tensioner (not sure how that was done) but when he started the bike it was noisy. He took it out for a road test and it quieten down.

Now here is where I though with my bike my history .... why not change it out.

This is personal spin on the thoughts of why I changed it. And I can see why someone would think why change it unless it is broke.

In my case I believe that my was sticking sometimes and I believe that at some point it may break down all together.

But then there is a recall on my TPS.... I never had any problem with it .... Why should I change it. :D

As for me knowing what the life expectancy of a average Cam Chain Tensioner. I would have to :dntknw: