cam chain tensioner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know -- but, someone here might? The tech may be able to show you a Yammie tech bulletin or describe the differences between the old and new style tensioners. There also may be a part number difference that can be looked-up? FWIW, manufacturers have gone round-and-round with the cam chain tensioner dilemma for decades and just about every "patent" has been tried -- with varying degrees of success. I hope you get an answer to your question -- I'd like know, too.

Your Tech guy B) is B.S.ing you because if you check the Yamaha website for the correct part numbers you will find that from years 2003-2005 all are the same part numbers as this: "5JW-12210-01-00 Tensioner Assy, Cam Chain". :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is posted elsewhere, but I will restate: Yamaha has, in the past, done an update of a part and kept the same part number. IIRC, the exhaust valves have the same part number, but the newer (raised dot) valves used in the ticker repairs are the same part number as the originals.

Mike, without seeing the two parts laying side-by-side, you'll have to take his word for it. In the end, it doesn't matter, because they are going to be replacing the valves anyway, this is just the first step in "the process". Everyone who has heard the Holeshot video recognized "the ticker", and now its using oil, so you are definitely a candidate for the repair....its just no fun having to jump through the corporate hoops. Chin up, bro!

Corporate hoops? I didn't have any trouble with my dealer. But, I had been in many times talkin to him about it and letting him listen to the bike. It helps that he also owns and FJR and frequents this site. So they tore right into it no questions asked. See the pinned ticking sound byte thread at the top of this forum.

The dealer I bought it from and an FZ1 closed. So there went my repore with the dealer and service tech. So I took recommendation from a well know LD rider on this dealership. hope I can GET ER' DONE!!!!