Can a novice Mechanic remove and service the Driveshaft/Gear Coupling/Final Drive? Constant puddles of drive oil under the drive shaft

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

SurvivorGuy

Reaction score
No, he said the leak always comes from the 'weephole', or 'the overflow at the bottom of the driveshaft'. He is talking about the weephole on the bottom of the swingarm near where the FD bolts on. As he shows in the photos above. If that is the case, that narrows down the problem root causes quite a bit. I may not be able to repair it, but I can help properly diagnose it if nothing else.

Choice of gear oil has nothing to do with it. Nor a cracked case. It is leaking past a seal. Plain and simple. And while you can remove the wheel and FD assembly on the C-Stand, let me tell you it is a hell of a lot easier on the back when on a lift!
Hey Skooter, You mention the symptoms are narrowing it down to a possible root cause, what are your thoughts? If you can't fix it, then what is next?

Bounce

Chicks Dig Scars
Staff member
Reaction score
It is obvious, I have an issue.
I just topped it off and it started flowing out of the overflow. Looking forward to meeting up with ScootG to pull it apart and repair whatever it is..
Look at Skooter's write-up on the final drive design and you may see something that makes sense from being there when we aren't.

SurvivorGuy

Reaction score
I appreciate all the feedback and support.

ScooterG graciously offered his garage, time, and knowledge to take the final drive apart next week.

Any heads-up on the part numbers for the seal would be greatly appreciated.

One would think having the seals on hand whether they are needed or not would be intelligent preventive maintenance seeing the final drive would be apart..

Thanks again!

RossKean

Reaction score

Quikslver

Reaction score

ScooterG graciously offered his garage, time, and knowledge to take the final drive apart next week.

One would think having the seals on hand whether they are needed or not would be intelligent preventive maintenance seeing the final drive would be apart..

Thanks again!
Who is this SkooterG you make reference to? 🤔

RossKean

Reaction score

Thanks again!
I see you are looking for a replacement drive unit. Yours was beyond repair?

SurvivorGuy

Reaction score
I see you are looking for a replacement drive unit. Yours was beyond repair?
Yes, It appears the seals inside the final drive are bad. We lack the proper tools and knowledge to do the repair and are not sure what seals are bad or how long it will take to acquire them. Seems more reasonable to just buy a different final drive

found this one

on eBay but the seller has not answered several emails of mine enquiring about its condition and whether was leaking

Big thanks to ScooterG for opening up his shop, using his lift and tools to help in getting this situation all sorted and the FJR back on the road where it belongs

Attachments

• 20221130_130417.jpg
    20221130_130417.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20221130_132632.jpg
    20221130_132632.jpg
    537.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20221130_141517_HDR.jpg
    20221130_141517_HDR.jpg
    735.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

RossKean

Reaction score
Seems more reasonable to just buy a different final drive
Agree. Try to find one with reasonably low miles and it should outlast the bike. The one you linked is pretty low cost but there were a number of others available when I looked a week or so ago. Check part numbers but I am pretty sure any Gen II and later will work. Not sure about Gen I... good luck.