Can anyone tell me how to get rid of an underground bumble bees nest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaycen

Reaction score
OK, so i had some fill dropped in the back yard, to level and try to clean things up a bit. I'm trying to make a nice play area for my 2 year old. I was roto tilling some of the ruts, preparing for the fill and I found a bees nest, Bumble bees. Problem is, I can't find the hole in the ground, I'm thinking there are multple holes, especially since I disturbed the nest with the roto tiller. I've wasted 3 cans of bee spray picking the little bastards out of the air one by one, but they just keep coming. Any thoughts that can help me out here??

I've run into this on job sites, but not had the time for what I am about to tell you.

Wait, till around dusk, when all the workers are coming home. From there you should be able to pin point the entry ways. Plug all but one hole so they cant get out. use that one hole to spray a foaming killer down the hole. You may have to repeat a few times.

I've never had to deal with bumble bees though. Mostly yellow jackets in the ground.

Also carb cleaner is a great killer :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well seeings as you tilled up the ground you've no doubt temporarily stopped up the opening however, if you wait till later when it cools they should re-emerge/ re-enter the newly opened hole/s. Thats when ya kick em in the ass!

Use something that they can track down to the nest ( those instant kill sprays won't cut it ) Dust or Granules like Spectracide, then a little water to get it working.

It may take a few tries, and you most likely will get your ass kicked once or twice :huh: But this will get 'em outa yer hair permanently.

Have fun!

:jester:

Just guessing, but maybe some high level exposives? :construction:

Fogging has worked for me, you just have to inject a lot of it into the hole. The fog seems to get deeper into the area where the little bastards hide.

Or, soak the area with fuel oil and light it up.

Pyrethum (sp) if you can get it. Do your stuff early morning (ie. first light) to catch them at their most inactive.

Poor gasoline down the hole once you find it. It will kill them. I had to do this one time. Large open container poured right above the main hole. Be careful and don't disturb them in your approach to the hole. They will be busy working the hive and not pay you much attention if you go slow. You may have to go back to see if the activity has stopped. If not, do it again.

Wear jeans, long sleeve shirt, hat, gloves, and a head net...like camo if you hunt. You should be fine.

If I lived near you, I'd do it. Then we would have a beer after wards and talk about how fast they died.

Good Luck!!!!

Buncha freaking pyros! :clapping: He can't find the hole :blink:

How you going to get any good video of him getting whacked by the bees if he uses fire???

Fuckleberries <_<

Bees4.jpg
Bees1.jpg

We just went through this with Africanized honey bees. Granted, I did not put gasoline in my eves and set them on fire, but I did try the aerosols and that only pissed them off. The exterminator used pyrethum and it wiped em. What you see is about a 10th of what was behind there.

Dude! Too bad he had to poison them out. Nice hives and no doubt a bunch of honey wasted. Mean Bastards them is.

Glad they haven't made it up here. I'm not sure how I'd keep em away from my hives :(

You don't need to lite the gasoline for it to be effective. So no Pyro needed.

If the bees were in the eve of your house, then you couldn't use gas..... :dribble: :dribble:

Try the gas. It is probably something you have to use in your lawn mower. No need to go out and get a bunch of chemicals.

If it doesn't work to YOUR satisfaction, try something else.

I'm guess you mean yellow jackets - vicious little buggers!

We have some stuff we use at work - can't remember the name of it right now but it is one of those instant killers - work very good - just wear some goggles so the wind doesn't carry it back to your eyes!!

I've always done like most have suggested. Pour gas down the hole. I don't light it as we usually run into those critters while mowing, raking or baling so not a good thing to set the hay field on fire!!

If you want to have some real fun. let the gas set about 2 or 3 minutes. Just make sure you're back a ways when you toss the match!!

Just the gas alone will do the job.

OK......Here's what I did tonight. tried the old gasoline trick. I made a circle around the area with sand, and then let r up!!!! What a freeking black cloud of smoke that made. Half my neighborhood came running to see if I was burning down my workshop!!! OK, with the gasoline doused.....I got to thinking. I had a few gallons of Nitromethone ( :devil: ) left over from RC aircraft last year, lets see how that stuff lights up!!!!! Let me tell you......this stuff burns clean and SLOWWWWWWWWW. As I cleared out the area I found the hole!!!! BASTARDS!!!! thats it.....glug glug glug glug........down the hold she went. Now, I can't imagine lighting this like that would be a very smart thing to do.......so, I made a trail.....then I got out the trusty slodering torch and wallllllaaaa FIRE!!!!!! I let that sucker burn for 15 minutes! after that I filled the hole with water, just to make sure it was out......Problem solved??? we will find out tomorrow!

You don't need to lite the gasoline for it to be effective. So no Pyro needed.
If the bees were in the eve of your house, then you couldn't use gas..... :dribble: :dribble:

Try the gas. It is probably something you have to use in your lawn mower. No need to go out and get a bunch of chemicals.

If it doesn't work to YOUR satisfaction, try something else.
Lighting the gas wasn't meant to be EFFECTIVE, It was for EFFECT!!!!!!! :yahoo:

OK......Here's what I did tonight. tried the old gasoline trick. I made a circle around the area with sand, and then let r up!!!! What a freeking black cloud of smoke that made. Half my neighborhood came running to see if I was burning down my workshop!!! OK, with the gasoline doused.....I got to thinking. I had a few gallons of Nitromethone ( :devil: ) left over from RC aircraft last year, lets see how that stuff lights up!!!!! Let me tell you......this stuff burns clean and SLOWWWWWWWWW. As I cleared out the area I found the hole!!!! BASTARDS!!!! thats it.....glug glug glug glug........down the hold she went. Now, I can't imagine lighting this like that would be a very smart thing to do.......so, I made a trail.....then I got out the trusty slodering torch and wallllllaaaa FIRE!!!!!! I let that sucker burn for 15 minutes! after that I filled the hole with water, just to make sure it was out......Problem solved??? we will find out tomorrow!

HAHAHAHAHAHAH.......pyrotechincs rule!! And is it safe for me to say that you live in some type of suburbia neighborhood? I can imagine some of my redneck neighbors seeing this. I can hear the comments now:

"Y'know, I gots me some of them thar blastin caps I stole from the constuction site. Y'ant me to get em for ya? "

" Shit...call that a far ( yes, that is how it sounds in my hometown area )?"

Hopefully you got rid of those irritationg bastards!

.....so, I made a trail.....then I got out the trusty slodering torch and wallllllaaaa FIRE!!!!!! I let that sucker burn for 15 minutes! after that I filled the hole with water, just to make sure it was out......Problem solved??? we will find out tomorrow!
worthless without [SIZE=18pt]pictures!!!![/SIZE]

.....so, I made a trail.....then I got out the trusty slodering torch and wallllllaaaa FIRE!!!!!! I let that sucker burn for 15 minutes! after that I filled the hole with water, just to make sure it was out......Problem solved??? we will find out tomorrow!
worthless without [SIZE=18pt]pictures!!!![/SIZE]
pictures could only be prooof to the local law enforcement agencies that this actually took place!!