Can "tallish" people ride an FJR comfortably?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6'4" in my birthday suit, unlike most of those weenie 6'1"~6'3" Munchkins and Oompah-Loompahs reporting in here (not you, Iggy) and 88,000 miles on my dead-stock 2004. Never done a 1000 mile day, but lost track LONG ago of the 750 milers.

No special seat, no special screen, no hiway/lowering pegs, no riser/pullback adapters.

Guess some folks just can't bear to leave 'em stock. I prefer spending my money on gas and good eats. :)

6'4" in my birthday suit, unlike most of those weenie 6'1"~6'3" Munchkins and Oompah-Loompahs reporting in here (not you, Iggy) and 88,000 miles on my dead-stock 2004. Never done a 1000 mile day, but lost track LONG ago of the 750 milers.
No special seat, no special screen, no hiway/lowering pegs, no riser/pullback adapters.

Guess some folks just can't bear to leave 'em stock. I prefer spending my money on gas and good eats.
smile.png
Howie I'll have you know that this particular munchkin only replied because I was specifically invited to by the OP ("I'd like to hear from FJR owners that are over 6'..."). Now, if I can reach my coat on that hanger over there I'm going home!
winksmiley02.gif

I am 6ft 6 with a 36 inseam. My '07 is standard (seat, bars pegs) and it's just fine. Compared to my previous bike (FZ6) it's HUGE !! Once my Canyon Cages actually get here (been on back order for 8 weeks) I intend fitting highway pegs for some long distance riding. On the FZ6 I used to just hook my legs over the frame sliders to stretch on a long ride.

I'm Scottie build, 6'6" 36" inseam. When riding aggressive my knee padding will rub a bit on the fearing. Not enough to stress the mounting, but I do have some clear film there to prevent scratching.

Garauld on this forum makes mounting plates for highway pegs--from Wild Bill's design, I think, but WB left us a couple years ago. The pegs he used to supply, and I guess Garauld still sells, come straight out off the plates, but I added a set of offset extenders (from Kuryakin) that set the pegs a bit farther out from the fairings (much more comfortable--I could only get my boot on the outer tip of the stock peg) and also, with the 90o extension, let you move the peg a couple inches farther forward. Best setup I've seen. (Yes, you can get the oil filter off without any disassembly.)
[img=[URL="https://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj218/PlanetMike/IMG_2205.jpg%5D"]https://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj218/PlanetMike/IMG_2205.jpg][/URL]
You are going to be grinding hard stuff in the corners with this extension. I know this from experience, almost painful.

6' 6" 34" inseam - risers, biggest CB screen with flip to get the wind over my head - stock seat for now.

Since this topic has the attention of bigger people, I have a complimentary question for the same group:

My shoe size is US15, 4E width and my new boots from Revzilla do not allow my toe enough room to get under the shift lever - any suggestions on re-engineering to allow me more room?

6' 6" 34" inseam - risers, biggest CB screen with flip to get the wind over my head - stock seat for now.
Since this topic has the attention of bigger people, I have a complimentary question for the same group:

My shoe size is US15, 4E width and my new boots from Revzilla do not allow my toe enough room to get under the shift lever - any suggestions on re-engineering to allow me more room?
I also wear a 14 or 15 boot ("normal" width). I don't have a problem with getting my toe under the shifter but it is a simple matter to loosen the shift lever, remove it and re-install after rotating one (or more) splines on the shaft. There is a dimple on the face of the shaft that corresponds to the split in the lever so you will have a reference point. Won't take 5 minutes.

I also wear a 14 or 15 boot ("normal" width). I don't have a problem with getting my toe under the shifter but it is a simple matter to loosen the shift lever, remove it and re-install after rotating one (or more) splines on the shaft. There is a dimple on the face of the shaft that corresponds to the split in the lever so you will have a reference point. Won't take 5 minutes.
In addition to RossKean's perfectly sensible answer it occurs to me (not knowing how much room can be gained by this adjustment) that more space could be gained by removing the rubber shifter cover - that's bound to buy you around 1/4" and I don't think it would create any problems.

Looks like you've got a lot of responses but I'm 6'2, yes the FJR is comfortable still but it's not ideally designed for those my height or taller. I find the Gen2 a lot more comfortable on my knees than my '04 was. I ride with the seat in the high position and the slightly lower pegs of the Gen2 make a big difference in how my knees feel on a long ride. I still don't feel the best about the shoulder to bar length but it's a bike, not a couch. Been loving it for 7 years.

Looks like you've got a lot of responses but I'm 6'2, yes the FJR is comfortable still but it's not ideally designed for those my height or taller. I find the Gen2 a lot more comfortable on my knees than my '04 was. I ride with the seat in the high position and the slightly lower pegs of the Gen2 make a big difference in how my knees feel on a long ride. I still don't feel the best about the shoulder to bar length but it's a bike, not a couch. Been loving it for 7 years.
+1, I'm 6'2" with a 35" inseam. 1.5 inch bar "risers", and an RDL seat (in high position). Works good, for 40k miles, so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

I was able to move mine just enough with the adjuster nut without having to remove the shift lever from the spline.

6' 2", 34" inseam. 1 '03, 2 '04's with risers and tall shield: Approaching 400K MILES total on the 3 bikes.Numerous 900/1000 mile plus days, 6500-7K miles Labor Day week every year since 2004 (except one...had a fractured sternum...finally gave up the trip in Butte, MT to ride back to SC to see a Dr.to find out why my chest hurt. Only about 5K that year.) Also consider that I am past "normal" retirement age so probably not as "flexible" as a "younger" guy.

I don't 'personally' qualify to offer insight to this thread, as I actually had to lower my bike... However, I had a friend of mine who is 6' 8" ride my bike, and now he's shopping...

I'm 6'4" on an 03, about 220lbs without gear, 95k miles on the bike.

Genmar risers, corbin seat with beads and sometimes an alaskan leather sheepskin over and I'm good for left coast and back rides. Comfortably get to west Idaho from Maine in 3 easy days. This bike makes that possible for me.

Then again, I prescribe to the school of thought that the most adjustable thing on the bike is the rider and at my height I've been adjusting for over 30 years. This bike isn't that hard to make comfy.